live trading from australia

burdo77

Hi there, im wondering if anyone trades live markets such as the european soccer from australia. If so how? i have tried vpn and a vps and betfiar still block you from placing a bet
switesh

I tried trading the aussie open tennis last Jan with BA VPS. Worked fine.
But that was the only time I tried so don't know if it has changed.

It would be nice if BDQ opened up to Australian traders.
Wildly

Hi Switesh,
I'm surprised you were able to trade the tennis live if you have your account registered using an Australian home address. I thought those in Australia doing so must have been skirting the rules by using overseas home addresses, either their own previous address or the account of an overseas friend. Then hiding their IP address and using a 'clean' computer that was never used for betting with an Australian address account.
I wouldn't risk my account being closed. It's been suggested to me that Betfair would check these aspects as they understandably want to keep their licence here so they will comply with Australia's nanny state laws no matter how ridiculous those laws.
Obviously trading is going on, just look at the market react during sports such as Aussie Rules. Sydney v Collingwood last night would have been great to trade live, as would plenty of other Aussie Rules games and of course cricket, tennis and golf.
Shamrock

Well you could move to Bali, Betfair remove restrictions over there but gambling is illegal.
I have a Pinnacle account, you can bet live on that. If I don't want to wait to get through on the phone I'll use that but you are restricted by the markets you can use.
It might all change after the election, we can only hope.
switesh

I think what we (aussie traders) need to do is trade under an account registered from a country where gambling is legal, tax is free, and Betfair accepts in-play trading.

Very similar to big corporations like Coca-Cola, Oracle, Intel get themselves incorporated at Cayman Islands. :P
switesh

Shamrock wrote:It might all change after the election, we can only hope.
Which party? So I know who to vote for.
gazuty

In my experience [self censored].

That is all.
Shamrock

I dont think it matters who gets in as long as the anti gambling crusader Nick Xenophon loses his seat. The problem with a hung parlimant is too much power for the independents.
mitch

So just checking, does a Betfair account registered in Australia let you trade in-play?

I can use some VPN software that will make me appear to be in the UK.
Euler

If you are resident in Australia then you can not bet inplay is my understanding.
cookie

hi guys,

wildy is exactly right, vps is needed and then an overseas account.

i didnt trade the collingwood game.. but just finished the gws game.. unreal result especially laying from 1.06!

p.s also use 3rd party to fund and withdraw from account :-)
jmcole

As an experiment I placed inplay bets on the NBA whilst I was overseas in Fiji (Dec 2012) and Singapore (last month). I only have one account, it has an Australian address and I was using local (hotel) wi-fi. The bets were accepted without any issue.
I have heard that there are people living in Australia who are using a VPS based in Singapore to allow them to bet inplay. My understanding is that it is based on where the bet originates from rather than your address, but obviously suspicions might be raised if you have an Australian address and all of your betting is from an overseas IP over an extended period.
Shamrock

When I go to Bali I send an email to Betfair with my itinerary attached and ask for my restrictions to be removed and they always do it as the bets are not getting placed in Australia.
I have an account with Matchbook which is in AUD and has no inplay issues, while the volumn is not as good as Betfair it is getting better, as long as you are happy to give one point up it will get matched pretty quick. To me this is a fair trade to 3 mins on the phone.

Return to “Technology”