Useful Apps etc

andyfuller

Thought I would start a thread where people can post useful apps and the like that they would recommend and why. I know there are quite a few 'techies' on the forum so sure there are some hidden gems people can reveal.
andyfuller

To start off:

1. AdBlock - for Google Chrome - blocks just about all adverts when using Google Chrome, so makes web pages quicker to load and your screen doesn't fill with junk. It also blocks ad's on Youtube so no more waiting for the 'skip advert' button.

I have also been told it blocks adverts on Catch Up TV services like 4OD, though I haven't tried it yet.

It is free, though you can donate - get it from Google's Chrome Web Store

I have used it for a couple of weeks and it has blocked 16,000 adverts in that time!
andyfuller

Pocket - It has been around for a good while I believe and can be used with just about all devices from iPads to web browser to twitter and is free.

During the day I often stumble across things I want to read but don't have the time there and then. So I add it to my 'Pocket' to read later. If you sync before you leave your internet connection you can also read the things you have saved offline. So handy if going on a plane for example.

I had it on my iPad for ages but only recently started to use it and now love it.
LinusP

GOTOMYPC - I used this over the summer when I went on holiday, nice and simple. You have to pay but there is a one month free trial and a free app for smartphones.
LinusP

Tweetdeck - Can provide instant notifications on the desktop when someone tweets, handy as some markets are directly related to certain tweets....
andyfuller

LinusP wrote:4.

Tweetdeck - Can provide instant notifications on the desktop when someone tweets, handy as some markets are directly related to certain tweets....
I really like TweetDeck - especially the custom column searches. I have my constant ones but also I switch in and out other searches as and when I need them. Really helpful for financial trading I find.

I wish they would improve the iPad app though!
LinusP

andyfuller wrote: I really like TweetDeck - especially the custom column searches. I have my constant ones but also I switch in and out other searches as and when I need them. Really helpful for financial trading I find.

I wish they would improve the iPad app though!
Yeh, you can stay up to date with everything whilst doing something else.

I stick with the normal twitter app for my phone.
LinusP

Dropbox - Makes life very easy if you have more than one computer. Also has a smartphone app, enabling you to update files and have them available to every computer as soon as it is uploaded.

2GB free space as well!
andyfuller

One that I have found really useful when driving is Waze. It has been in the news of late due to Google buying it for $1 Billion.

Basically it is a free Sat Nav app that uses crowd source information to give you up to date traffic information. The more people who use it the more information available.

A real competitor for the like of Garmin.
JollyGreen

I like Lastpass which is a FREE password manager! I used Roboform for many years but they became a bit too greedy for me. I had 3 separate licences with them and a licence for another product of theirs called GoodSync but they started charging for updates/upgrades which I didn't agree with.

Lastpass has meant that using the generator I can have secure passwords for every site. I just have to remember the master password. It is secure as all the encryption is performed locally.

On the iphone I use iBetMate to access Betfair. You can see charts etc and it's very useful. You have to buy it but it won't break the bank and I think it's worth it.
JollyGreen

For chat or text message I like Whatsapp. I have a lot of friends outside the UK and this will allow me to send text, pictures etc all for free. All you need is a cellular data connection, it doesn't even have to be 3G. Obviously if you are on a cellular data system you have to ensure it is within your data allowance. On wi-fi I can sit and chat with a friend in Spain as we watch the same football game.

Peter also recommended Glympse which is a handy little App. Because I cannot drive due to my illness I take the train. We all know you can be late or miss a connection so when I am meeting Peter for dinner I send him a glympse and he doesn't have to sit around waiting for me at a station. I now use it with my family so my daughter can let me know where she is.
andyfuller

Cheers for those Jolly - never heard of LastPass or Glympse.

I have been after a password manager for ages. I worked out recently I have just over 200 different things I have to remember passwords for! Crazy what the online world demands of us these days!

I can see Glympse being really really useful for me - I am often having to pick up family from the train station and end up sitting in my car when they are delayed. This will let me see when the train goes past my house and I can then set off!

I really like Whatsapp as well.
Euler

I found Glympse when looking for a quick way to let people know where you are.

I often use it when I go out on my bike and send a text to my wife so she knows where I am. Twice in the past I've set off to exercise only for my wife to pick me up from A&E a bit later. So know she doesn't need to worry when I'm gone for 2 or 3 hours and the kids love watching me belt around the countryside in real time.

I've used it for meetings also, really handy.
andyfuller

Euler wrote:I often use it when I go out on my bike...I've used it for meetings also, really handy.
I just passed it on to my family and they have put it to use straight away. One has used it to let the wife know they were on the way back from work - no excuse for dinner not being on the table when they get in from work now :lol:

I really like the idea of using it for exercise - I often go out for very long runs and now take my phone with me, one reason is for music but the other so I can ring if I need help, this will let me share where I am running as I never am too keen on going out and no one knowing where I am. Also like the idea of tracking the run - no longer will my brother be able to tell me he ran x distance in x time - I can track him :shock:

Do the texts just come out of your normal allowance or are they premium rate?
Euler

Just a normal text or you can email.

Return to “Technology”