Useful Apps etc

Euler

I realise Glympse is an all signing all dancing tracker, but the ability to send somebody a quick message so that can track you for a limited time is a neat idea.
andyfuller

Euler wrote:Was going to ask you about sports apps, I've been using a GPS tracker and analysing it when I get home, but wanted to get a heart rate monitor and plug in that info as well.
I started using a heart rate monitor with my running a year or so ago after it sat in the draw from the day I bought the running watch which included the HR monitor. I found it really helped in my training once I started to use it regularly and look at the data. I also use it when I am on the WattBike.

There was a thread here about wearing it when trading:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5766&p=45510&hilit= ... #p45510%20

Just tested my resting heart rate and glad to see it is now 40 to 44 bpm compared to 50 in March 2012 - all the training is paying off :)

Interesting article about Bradley Wiggins and VO2 max and HR etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18959642
steven1976

For your media center if you have it set up to the tv's I recommend xbmc as the media center as there are all kinds of plugins you can get to have tv online players in and a few good add ons such as navi x which has a lot of HD movies if your internet is quick enough. Also has apps for its own remote and I also use My Remote (paid version) for navigating around the desktop from my phone.
James1st

A really useful App is the one that lets you log in to Betfair, find a market and place a bet and also allows you to "green up" a trade. Trouble is that there isn't one available...(prompt to an ambitious App coder).

I use IbetMate on my Iphone when I am roving but despite promises from Mike Pollard (the author), it still cannot Green. I suspect the problem is related to the need to bet below minimum stakes for greening.

Maybe BetAngel could develop an App?
andyfuller

I am not the fastest reader so have been after an app for a while that can read text for me and play it back. I came across the free app iSpeech this morning, only used it a little but is seems to be pretty good:

http://www.ispeech.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFj2XdZYrv8

I have been using it in Google Chrome's from their browser app store to read news articles to me as I get on with other stuff. There are various voices available and the speed it reads can be altered amongst other things.

Has anyone got any other recommendations for similar text to speech apps?
LinusP

Does anyone know any good apps for screen recording on a mac, I know macs come with this software but it only records in really high quality.

Thanks
LinusP

James1st wrote:A really useful App is the one that lets you log in to Betfair, find a market and place a bet and also allows you to "green up" a trade. Trouble is that there isn't one available...(prompt to an ambitious App coder).

I use IbetMate on my Iphone when I am roving but despite promises from Mike Pollard (the author), it still cannot Green. I suspect the problem is related to the need to bet below minimum stakes for greening.

Maybe BetAngel could develop an App?
Hi James, on the latest BetFair exchange app you can use the "cash-out" feature. I haven't used it and I know it isn't great on the website but could work if you need to green up when out the house.
Ethanol

Just remembered another Windows application which I've been using daily for the past few years...

Gadwin PrintScreen

It has a few methods of operation, but I've set it up so all operations are performed in the background. I.e. it allows me to take a screenshot of the active window with one button press (I have it override the standard print screen button's feature). It then saves a PNG file to a pre-defined folder of my choosing.

You can also have it screenshot a selection of the screen, the entire screen, as well as have it prompt you along the way while performing the operation; although personally I really like the behind-the-scenes operation. Basically, anything important on-screen can be captured and saved in less a second. I use it to capture bet confirmations, pages that say "print this for your records", and anything else which seems remotely important.

I use the freeware application, which has no adverts or obviously-limited functionality. They also have a paid option for $24.95.
andyfuller

I have just come across a useful extension for Chrome called: StayFocusd

I am currently some what lacking focus and often find myself drifting around the internet and this seems a very good solution:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... foji?hl=en

I would explain it more but my 30 mins for the day on 'non work' websites is nearly up ;)
andyfuller

Does anyone know of an app for note taking that auto syncs across all Apple devices and/or Android devices?
LinusP

Evernote is very good, and updates across all devices.
andyfuller

Cheers for that - I will have a look at it.
steven1976

I presume available on apple, I use Gtasks for making quick notes. If I'm sat around and remember I need to do something I make a quick note on the app on my phone and then when I log into gmail I have it set up to show gtasks in a small pop up.

I don't know how different to ever note but I like it as i always have to login to my gmail and it always is sat there as a reminder.

Ste
andyfuller

Been meaning to add this one for ages.

Wunderlist - http://www.wunderlist.com

It is a really good To Do List but it has a lot of useful features beyond the basic To Do List. It can be used on any platform pretty much and syncs instantly across all devices, desktop, web browser, tablet, mobile.

I really like using it as a brain dump for whenever ideas come into my head but also for planning out my week/day etc and then just doing simple things like a shopping list that can be collaborated on and/or then shared.

Really worth a look, I wouldn't be without it any more.

Best of all it is free (I don't have a clue why it is free though)
PeterLe

Ill take a look at that Andy, sounds good

I was recently in the US, and used the UBER taxi app. Def recommended if anyone is traveling o the US, it saved us quite a lot and is very efficient too

Return to “Technology”