What is a good spec pc for trading

dmbusa

Ok it is time to bite the bullet and spend some money on a decent pc for trading as the one I have has just cost me, by freezing for 3 mins. I had an open lay position which I couldn't close out and by the time I got through to bet fair on the phone the race had finished. I can't use a mobile backup system as I get no mobile signal in the house.

So if any one could suggest a good spec i would be grateful.

Thanks
staker72

Hi dmbusa.
It depends what you are trying to do. If you are using big complex spreadsheets running on fast refresh then you will need something pretty meaty. However if you are just using betangel/guardian with sensible refresh rates then the chances any modern machine above budget should do it.
I use an I5 2310 based machine and just using betangel it barely notices.

Your current machine could be struggling because of background junk or age is making something fail.Don't forget to keep an eye on your router as well, they can cause problems, try powering it off and on.
LinusP

I picked up a desktop off ebay for £100, 4gb of ram, a decent graphics card and dual core 2.4ghz processor. It didn't have a HD which must have put people off but I bought a solid state one for £60 and it flys! Handles bet angel with excel recording pre-race and in-play every second easily.
JollyGreen

I would suggest something similar to Linus. There is no need for an i7 unless you also perform video editing, photo editing. The only real difference between an i7 and i5 is hyper threading and Bet Angel will not use it.

If you look at one of these CPUs just check to ensure it is a four core type. Some of the lower numbers only have two cores. You can quickly check on Intel's website for the specification.

With these chips the HDxxxx graphics are built in and they run Bet Angel just fine. I even had three monitors running from the GPU and it didn't miss a beat.

As Linus said, if you look on eBay you may find a 3rd generation i5 machine with a decent spec. What happens is lots of people want the latest version so they sell theirs off at a bargain price.
Last edited by JollyGreen on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JollyGreen

I know I said look for 4 cores but it's not strictly required. Have a look at this PC from eBay.

Fujitsu ESPRIMO E9900

For £219 it is a bargain and will offer more than enough power for 99% of tasks. All I would add is check with the supplier about the graphics card and how easy it is to add a second monitor.
dmbusa

Thanks Linus and Jolly

I hadn't thought of looking on ebay :roll:

And thanks for the tip about the number of cores.
dmbusa

The fujitsu does look very good thanks
dmbusa

I have found the cause of my pc problems only 1 of the 2 cores is working and the one that is working is not doing that well.
JollyGreen

dmbusa wrote:I have found the cause of my pc problems only 1 of the 2 cores is working and the one that is working is not doing that well.
I would say it's unlikely to be the true cause. How did you check the core usage? Try using Hardware Monitor It's more likely to be something hogging the resources. You may need to run a scan with something like Malwarebytes to see if you have malware or a Trojan. The link takes you to a safe download of the free version.

Shout if you need further help.
dmbusa

Hi Jolly

I was using the windows task manager performance charts, which showed one core at 100% and the other at 0% also cpuid from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html was only showing 1 core. Having left the pc off for a couple of hours both are now showing as normal as does the Hardware monitor you suggested. I ran a full system scan overnight for malware using malwarebytes followed by a full system scan using avast AV and nothing was found..

SO I am wondering if I have an issue with overheating.
JollyGreen

Heat is a killer and you may have an issue. Do you have a standard Intel CPU cooler fitted?

What can happen is the thermal paste bubbles and dries which means it loses its effectiveness. I would suggest buying a custom cooler, they don't have to be expensive.

Have a look at this one Akasa K32 it fits most Intel based systems and it's low profile so height isn't an issue.

I fitted one to my wife's PC and I think it came with thermal paste applied. I prefer to use Arctic Silver as it has better thermal properties. If you do fit a new cooler then ensure you remove the old paste fully and clean the CPU. Stay away from a solvent though, better to use a clean lint free cloth.
dmbusa

Again many thanks for the pointers.

Decision time as the machine is 10+ years old ( with a number of different upgrades along the way) as to upgrade again along the lines of replacing the cooler on the cpu (hoping the cpu isn't yet damaged) or just go the whole hog and get a new machine.

Think I see what the fun adjuster has to say first.
Kalumpus

dmbusa,

If you decide to jump in and buy a new setup its worth looking at this company;
http://www.multiplemonitors.co.uk/computers/

They'll configure anything you like and they pleasure to deal with - I've had my last couple of puters from them. Its well worth checking their site out.
dmbusa

Kalumpus

Thank you for the info will keep them in mind.
jimrobo

I built my own. Bit of a faff but saves you some cash and it really gives you a decent insight to how it all works and the ability to repair it down the line!

Return to “Technology”