What is a good spec pc for trading

JollyGreen

Heat is a killer and you may have an issue. Do you have a standard Intel CPU cooler fitted?

What can happen is the thermal paste bubbles and dries which means it loses its effectiveness. I would suggest buying a custom cooler, they don't have to be expensive.

Have a look at this one Akasa K32 it fits most Intel based systems and it's low profile so height isn't an issue.

I fitted one to my wife's PC and I think it came with thermal paste applied. I prefer to use Arctic Silver as it has better thermal properties. If you do fit a new cooler then ensure you remove the old paste fully and clean the CPU. Stay away from a solvent though, better to use a clean lint free cloth.
dmbusa

Again many thanks for the pointers.

Decision time as the machine is 10+ years old ( with a number of different upgrades along the way) as to upgrade again along the lines of replacing the cooler on the cpu (hoping the cpu isn't yet damaged) or just go the whole hog and get a new machine.

Think I see what the fun adjuster has to say first.
Kalumpus

dmbusa,

If you decide to jump in and buy a new setup its worth looking at this company;
http://www.multiplemonitors.co.uk/computers/

They'll configure anything you like and they pleasure to deal with - I've had my last couple of puters from them. Its well worth checking their site out.
dmbusa

Kalumpus

Thank you for the info will keep them in mind.
jimrobo

I built my own. Bit of a faff but saves you some cash and it really gives you a decent insight to how it all works and the ability to repair it down the line!
walshy

Following on from the thread, how likely is it that permanent damage has been done to a processor? And is it possible to get a definitive answer to the whether the damage exists.

I have a set up that should be more than capable of doing what I want it to do but I'm having issue's with it (Its now several years old) and having read this thread maybe heat is a potential cause, but I really dont know.

I don't want to invest in a complete new computer if replacing a cheap cooling fan will sort the problem out. I'll probably try it anyway but is there a way to know if permanent damage has been done?
JollyGreen

If a CPU is damaged it is pretty much a digital option - it's knackered or it's okay.

Can you describe the symptoms you are experiencing? On most motherboards, even one that is 5 years old, there would be a cut out in the board. It measures the temperature of the CPU and when it hits the maximum temperature it will shut down the PC. You rarely get any warning unless you have a piece of software which interacts via the OS. I use this Core Temp

WARNING: This uses a download manager. It will only add search tools etc, no viruses but take it step by step and decline (uncheck) the options

This will tell you when the temperature is too high and you can then shut down manually.

If you can describe the issues you are having I may be able to suggest the likely issue....hopefully! :D
walshy

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i now have an even bigger issue. I bought and installed a new cooling fan and looking at the state of the previous thermal paste it wouldn't surprise me if that was the issue all along. However, whatever i have done, when I switch the computer on now the fan springs to life but thats it. The screens stay blank, in fact they don't go out of hibernation mode at all.

Now I'm really stumped regarding what to do next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
JollyGreen

Let me know what kind of CPU as that will let me what socket you have. Also, how does the cooler fan fit, is it push fit or screw fit? The former pushes into the motherboard mounting holes, the latter uses the same holes but you then screw it down until it makes a good contact.

It's very easy to over tighten the fan and this will often stop the PC from booting. The good news is it isn't often fatal, you can remove the fan check the seating of the CPU and try again.

This may seem a bit out of left field but the faults you describe suggest a RAM issue. I would suggest removing the RAM module(s) and putting them back one at a time, if you have more than one.
walshy

I've removed the fan and re-seated the processor before putting back the fan of which has a push fit fitting and have removed each stick of ram whilst trying the other but unfortunately to no difference in outcome.

The processor is an Intel core2 Q6600 Quad
Dublin_Flyer

I had the same CPU on my last homebuilt pc. The power supply wasn't strong enough for the amount of extras I was adding on and I kept blowing graphics cards until I got a new higher wattage power supply. If you have any spares, try a different graphics card. If the computer is starting up ok and no display then I'd definitely be looking at a different graphics card or trying HDMI out to a tv to use as monitor if it's available on the mainboard.
JollyGreen

walshy wrote:I've removed the fan and re-seated the processor before putting back the fan of which has a push fit fitting and have removed each stick of ram whilst trying the other but unfortunately to no difference in outcome.

The processor is an Intel core2 Q6600 Quad
Do you have built in graphics or a dedicated card? When it boots do you see anything (BIOS name?) Or is just totally dead? Does the light on your monitor change - orange to green usually - or is that basically dead?

My concern would be the BIOS may have defaulted to onboard graphics and you are connecting to a dedicated graphics card.
walshy

I upgraded the graphics card to a Radeon 6450 a couple of years ago when i wanted a second monitor and its been running fine ever since.

The power supply is the same one the machine came with when new and I've had no issues with it so far.the processor is the original one.

When i switch the computer on I see nothing, no Bios info. The light on the monitors stays orange.

I've tried connecting one of the monitors to both the new card and the default connection and all that happens is the light on the screen go's blue for a couple of seconds then I get a message saying the screen is going into sleep mode and the light go's orange again.

This happens with both connections
JollyGreen

When these things occur it is a process of elimination.

If the fans are turning then the PSU should be okay. Admittedly the voltage may be dropping under load so it cannot power the full system, hence the fans turning and creating the impression the PSU is okay.

For now let's assume the PSU is okay, remove the Radeon card. connect to the onboard graphics and let me if anything changes.
walshy

Ive done that Dave, but unfortunately no change.

Return to “Technology”