Setting Up Multiple Monitors On VPS

Westerner

Before anyone says anything.....I know I'm flooding this board recently :D

But....when you've got a problem you've got to sort it out - right?

I'm having a problem getting VPS to span both of my monitors. I go to 'Run' and enter 'Mstsc /span' but that only presents me with the Remote Desktop Connection Box.

Both my monitors are side by side, both are on high resolution and both are the same make.

Am I missing something?

One thing I have noticed is that if I look at the display settings on my pc it shows 2 screens but if I look at the display settings on VPS it only shows 1 - is this part of the problem?

Thanks!
andyfuller

I put in:

mstsc /span /v:

and it seems to work fine. Make sure you have the spaces - hope that helps?
Westerner

Thanks Andy....but it didn't work

Just sends me to the Remote Desktop Box

Really weird
xdg99667

Cool - a support request... something that comes easier to me than trading :)

yes, if you have version 6 (I think its 6) of mstsc.exe then it support the span parameter (XP updated onwards)

so yeah if you run the following

mstsc.exe /v:xxx.xxx.x.xx /span

where xxx is the IP address of your VPS

If you are still having trouble can you let me know

Cheers

Gary
nova0387

i Know this has been a couple years ago but I'm currently having this problem. Im on windows 2008 standard sp2. I can't get it to extend across both monitors. I am on version 6 also...Can I upgrade my RDC to 7 if my RDC is only 2008 standard?

thank you
Groovyelms

Hi nova,

Not sure if this helps but I have a twin monitor set up, running windows XP via a Matrox twin headed graphics card... Easy to fit and set up. It works really well on a 4 year old not very powerfull pc!!!!
Groovy :?:
TheTub

Regarding spanning monitors, multiple monitor support with the RDC is poorly implemented and confusing. My latest information is that multiple desktop is not possible - the span option with the RDC will simply give you a single desktop that you can span across two monitors as long as the total resolution does not exceed 4096 x 2048. There is no clear answer from Microsoft and the usual fuddery exists (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt).

I would love to see a true multiple desktop support but as far as I'm aware this is not possible.

See here for XP information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

Return to “Technology”