Ethernet Switch

PeterLe

Thanks Chris for that comprehensive answer, ill check them out
EyePeaSea

andyfuller wrote:Homeplugs are great
Totally agree. They are an excellent product and faster models get released every 12 months or so.
I use a combination. WiFi for casual laptops and phones, 1Gb switch between my main PCs+Servers, and then homeplugs for the links down to my BTInfinity router. While the homeplugs don't have the rock steady throughput of hard-wired connections, they really are so, so much better than WiFi.

Ian
redtra

EyePeaSea wrote:
Totally agree. They are an excellent product and faster models get released every 12 months or so.
I use a combination. WiFi for casual laptops and phones, 1Gb switch between my main PCs+Servers, and then homeplugs for the links down to my BTInfinity router. While the homeplugs don't have the rock steady throughput of hard-wired connections, they really are so, so much better than WiFi.

Ian

I've not heard of homeplugs before. I live in an old cottage with thick walls and use a wifi connection. The signal doesn't travel far. Would a homeplug enable me to use the internet in other rooms?
PeterLe

redtra wrote:
EyePeaSea wrote:

Ian

I've not heard of homeplugs before. I live in an old cottage with thick walls and use a wifi connection. The signal doesn't travel far. Would a homeplug enable me to use the internet in other rooms?
Hi
I use one called Devolo (check out their website they have some videos on there explaining what they do), I recommend them
Regards
Peter
redtra

PeterLe wrote: Hi
I use one called Devolo (check out their website they have some videos on there explaining what they do), I recommend them
Regards
Peter
Thanks Peter, I will have a look. At the moment I have to be in one part of the cottage to use the internet because the modem picks up the strongest signal. If it was possible to set up in my studio, life would be a lot easier!
JollyGreen

Devolo are good but I have used these from Zyxel and they are even better IMHO Zyxel PLA5205

If you are short of mains sockets then you can look at pass-through versions like the Solwise AV500

I used the latter for a relative and they were very good.
redtra

JollyGreen wrote:Devolo are good but I have used these from Zyxel and they are even better IMHO Zyxel PLA5205

If you are short of mains sockets then you can look at pass-through versions like the Solwise AV500

I used the latter for a relative and they were very good.
Thanks JollyGreen, ...will have a look.

Would you know if these sort of devices work if the internet comes into the home via a wifi modem? Don't know anything about these but from a quick look at the web site, they seem to require cable internet and a router. My internet is from a modem containong a sim card.
andyfuller

You would need to be able to plug an Ethernet cable into your modem, the other end of the cable goes into the Homeplug which is inturn plugged into your electric socket and effectively turns your electric cabling around the house into a big ethernet cable.

You then, wherever you want internet access, plug a homeplug and have an Ethernet cable come out of the Homeplug and into your device, eg. PC or you could use one that emits a wireless signal which you PC could then use to connect to the internet.

These are ideal for a thick brick property where the wireless signal doesn't reach around the house. The exact reason I got them for my parents.

If you Sim card router doesn't have an Ethernet Port spare I am sure you could get a router that would work with the sim and have an ethernet port...(sure someone will be able to suggest one).

Edit: Quick search on Amazon and Google and there are plenty of routers that use Sim cards and have Ethernet ports so should be more than able to do what you want.
redtra

andyfuller wrote:You would need to be able to plug an Ethernet cable into your modem, the other end of the cable goes into the Homeplug which is inturn plugged into your electric socket and effectively turns your electric cabling around the house into a big ethernet cable.

You then, wherever you want internet access, plug a homeplug and have an Ethernet cable come out of the Homeplug and into your device, eg. PC or you could use one that emits a wireless signal which you PC could then use to connect to the internet.

These are ideal for a thick brick property where the wireless signal doesn't reach around the house. The exact reason I got them for my parents.

If you Sim card router doesn't have an Ethernet Port spare I am sure you could get a router that would work with the sim and have an ethernet port...(sure someone will be able to suggest one).

Edit: Quick search on Amazon and Google and there are plenty of routers that use Sim cards and have Ethernet ports so should be more than able to do what you want.
Just had a look but there is no Ethernet Port on my router so your suggestion is brilliant,i will have a look on Amazon now...thanks!

Return to “Technology”