Advice needed please

walshy

Hi,

Ive come over to a rural part of Ireland for a few weeks to spend Christmas with my family but am having real problems sorting out an internet setup that I can trade from.

Using Speedtest.net I am getting the following results

Ping 52ms
Download 6.41Mbps
Upload 0.51Mbps

Is the poor upload speed the cause of such a sluggish response time when placing or canceling an order?

At he moment its not actually usable as it can take up to 3/4 seconds from clicking to see the order appear on the screen.

I'm supposed to be here for at least 3 weeks so could really do with trying to get this sorted out so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you all
JollyGreen

Those figures are fine Kev, normal upload on ADSL can be 0.38mbps.

What kind of connection is it? Are you on ADSL then using Wireless or wired? I'm not 100% if you are routed via another server as you are in Ireland? Some users in Ireland may be able to advise on that.
walshy

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, Ok then well if those figures look fine it must be something else, I really cant believe anybody could trade with such a delay, maybe I'm getting some sort of interference from somewhere.

Its a sky ADSL line using a wireless router, I have tried a wired connection to the router and this did improve it a bit but it still wasnt what I'd call satisfactory.

I've got to try and sort something out though as I dont want to take that much time off.

Any Idea what sort of data a days trading is likely to use? There is also a mobile connection I could use but its got a 40GB a month limit on it.

Thanks again for the response.
JollyGreen

Download this and check to see if there overlapping channels or networks Insidder
rogerlisa

Walshy
Just something to try. In my village we struggle really bad with the internet, but I have found that even if my kids pc's are plugged in the wall, never mind on, then I have a very slow connection (of which there are 5 units). If I unplug all of them then it works fine. Now dont ask me why as I am far from a geek about these things, but if it works thats what I do and dont try to work out why. Try that and see if you have any luck.
Roger

Return to “Technology”