DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

andyfuller

I was out running the other day and saw someone flying what I thought was just a remote control plane or helicopter.

It was really far away from them and took me a while to actually see it in the sky. As I could do with a breather I thought I would go back and ask them about it and find out what the range was.

Turned out they were flying a quad-copter called a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

I ended up getting a full demo and have to say I was blown away by it and am tempted to get one myself, bit on the pricey side though.

The speed of the thing was amazing, about 30mph and he said it had a range of about 2km.

If anyone is into their big boys toys I would suggest taking a look at one of these!

The image quality wasn't great on the ipad that he was streaming to in real time from the copter but he assured me the quality of what it was recording onto the sd card mounted on the copter was 1080p quality.

The height he took it to was amazing as was the distance away from us.

It also uses GPS to hoover on the spot on its own .

All in all it was damn impressive and I know there are a few gadget people on the forum - I highly suggest taking a look at these videos, there are heaps more and better ones on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKl2dza16U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTBGRG9960
Arta700

Cool, thats going on my list to santa. :)
Dublin_Flyer

There was a quadcopter mentioned on the Irish news a couple of weeks ago, it crash landed after hitting a wire trying to smuggle drugs into Wheatfield Prison!
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 85684.html
PeterLe

Thats such a cool device! 8-)
It was my son's sports day yesterday, it would have made a great video!
LeTiss

Great for burglars to see the entry and exit points in people's back gardens
andyfuller

Could be used for looking at other things in people's back gardens - especially with the current heat wave. You could hear it when it was close to you but the zoom on the camera was pretty good :o :shock: 8-) ;)

I did see on TV the other week, I think on BBC Click, that you can now get these drone copters that will fly themselves, not sure what they were called, they were different things to the one I mentioned previously.

You launch it - lock it on to you and then off you go and it will follow you. For example you want to record yourself skiing down a mountain, it will lock on to you and follow you down. It has sensors built in to avoid trees etc.
andyfuller

For business use I can see a good few uses, for example, a surveyor. They always say they could only do a ground inspection with binoculars, this would allow them to fly and record all over a house roof and chimney stack.

Another one could be a photographer wanting to do crowd/aerial shots, you often see such ones at weddings.

Estate Agents for doing aerial shots of the house for sale.

I can see many many more uses but the main one for me would just be the fun of it. Just don't let your local pepping tom borrow it!
98lewisj

Any the most obvious one… Flying on the furlong pole/Above Wimbledon etc… :lol:
marko236

98lewisj wrote:Any the most obvious one… Flying on the furlong pole/Above Wimbledon etc… :lol:
No the most obvious one is hoovering outside Peter's window when he's trading before anyone starts about the naked thing!
LeTiss

marko236 wrote:
No the most obvious one is hoovering outside Peter's window when he's trading before anyone starts about the naked thing!
Or both - for all we know Peter might enjoy the freedom of trading bollock naked
spreadbetting

I saw them on BBC Click too, looked quite cool and not that pricey for quadcopters on ebay . Seems the additional HD cameras are where the price starts climbing. There's a few videos on YouTube where people have flown them thru 4th July fireworks which are well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI
jimrobo

whats the deal with actually being legal and flying these in the uk though? I am sure I heard it is technical illegal to fly these
spreadbetting

They're not illegal but lots of CAA regs, frequencies, privacy laws etc you'd need to adhere to.
Kevinbreen

Hi,

I'm selling my phantom vision plus. I have it exactly a week. It's not what I want to be honest. It's in as-new condition. I bought it for €1160, will sell for 980. I have proof of purchase and warranty. Awesome machine, just not for me.

K

Return to “Technology”