Multiple Monitors

LeTiss

My set up is surprisingly modest compared to many full-timers - I basically run with 2 laptops and Sky multi-room for the sport

However, the new API is dragging down my old Dell Inspiron, so I've decided to fork out for a new bells & whistle set up

I'm wanting to install multiple monitors onto a bracket running off a new desktop PC, using my laptop as a back up

What sort of PC do I need to run 4 screens?

I'm not tech expert at all, but I know there's a few geeks on this forum!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks
PeterLe

Hi LeTiss
Ill let others better informed as to which graphic cards to use..but I would add that I used to use an Ergotron stand. http://www.ergotron.com
They cost a little bit more that other manufacturers but they are well worth it.
I sold my complete setup on Ebay last year, which you could have had for a good half time trade! :D
LeTiss

Ah yeah - I forgot you were trying to flog that on here! :lol:

Thanks for the info though
marksmeets302

A similar question. Rather than putting 4 screens side by side (or in a square), I'm considering buying one of those curved wide monitors, like the lg-34UC97, to use as my main screen. I think I'll supplement that with 2 regular screens attached to a different computer to monitor strategies etc. Does anybody have any experience with a setup like that?

My intention is to use the wide monitor for coding, and the other two for monitoring the markets (betfair, financial markets etc.).
Wobbler

personally i would find a local computer tech who can build you a desktop from scratch. you can tailor it to your requirements and be advised along the way by you tech on the best gear. you dont get all the added bullshit software and virus scans that comes bundled with a shop bought computer. plus your helping a local business with better support ( if you find the right shop/tech)
Groovyelms

I recently had to replace my home pc and as commented did not want all the rubbish that comes with bundled retail computers. Plus did not want to spend much either but wanted to be able to expand to a four monitor set up in the future.....
Trawling through ebay I ended up purchasing a dell precision work station complete with a short guarrantee. It turned up, works really well and had a dual headed graphics card installed as standard, all for under £150.00.
Being a work station it is very easy to access (no tools required) and very easy to add addition memory and in time a quad head card...
so if you are looking to a multiple monitor set up and don't want to spend too much it is an option to consider :idea:
groovy
andyfuller

Just to chuck in my few thoughts, get a decent monitor stand, Ergotron seem to be the best. I wish I had bought one of theirs to start with rather than going for a cheaper sort.

The cheaper sort did the job, a thread about monitor set ups here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=358&p=2031&hilit=monitor#p2031

Christ 2009! Where does the time go!

They were a real pain to set up, made easier if you can get someone else to help. But I was moving house and changing my set up a few times around then and I found them infuriating to get all the screens perfectly aligned.

I also made a few desks myself so I could have the screens in different layouts as my trading style changed. I had them in a 2 x 2 square and also in a 4 x 1 tower and 1 x 4 at different times. So basically try and think about what your plans are going to be going forward.

But try not to scrimp on the stand as PeterLe suggested, look at Ergotron.

As for the actual Tech inside I can't really help but I got some excellent help from people on the forum.

Here is a thread that may be of help along the same lines: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3597&p=23896&hilit=yoyo#p23896

I bought mine from Yoyo Tech in London, I was travelling down there anyway so I thought it worth a go on the back of a recommendation. They were very good and I still have the PC now and it still flies along. It didn't come with anything on it you didn't want, so no spamware etc.

Another option would be as has been suggested, try and find your local computer whiz kid and chuck them a bit of money and get them to design and possibly make it for you. But just keep their spending under control, it is very easy to spend someone elses money and try and justify all the latest bells and whistles but chances are you will be fine with tech that is slightly dated now.

Hope some of that helps.
george

hi, i recently added a fourth monitor to my set up , in order to do that i had to get a motheboard that can get 2 graphic cards on board that allow me to get 3 monitors on each graphic cards , i use a 32 inch monitor for main and 2 x 27 inch on the sides as portrait mode which are very helpfull when u need to have a complete view of live scores and no need need to scroll up and down all the time , and on top of the main monitor i added a 24 inch monitor for extra space , it cost me about 1700 euro with the pc case .
i strongly recommend get at least one monitor on ur set up that have the capability to switch on portrait mode , the graphic cards i bought is the asus gtx 760, motherboard asus maximus VII, also u need a powerfull cpu so u wont get any lag when working full speed atleast 4000 ghz
LeTiss

Cheers chaps, great advice

I'll send a photo of my set up when it's complete
JollyGreen

If you go with one of the higher spec i5 or any of the i7 processors the built in GPU should be sufficient. I run two 24" iiyama and one Dell 21" using the built in GPU of my i7-4770K and it has no issues running Bet Angel.

If you intend to run 3D applications then you'll need a dedicated GPU otherwise spend the money on a Samsung EVO SSD.
gutuami

If I would have to buy a new trading desktop I would pay attention to:
1.an SSD - for operating system
2.an intel core i7 CPU with at least 3Ghz
3.an Nvidia quadro video card: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadro-d ... us-uk.html
4. at least 16Gb or ram
marko236

I think you should get the computer out of superman 2 or is it the 3rd one?, the one with richard pryor.

Theres no point in trying to hide the money fella :D
andyfuller

I forgot to mention that you should be paying attention to the monitor sizes more in pixel size than in inches. As it is the pixel size that determines the amount of info you can get on a screen. The bigger the screen size, doesn't mean you get more info it just means it is spread over a larger area.

I run 4 screens, each with a pixel size of 2048 x 1152 and you get a fantastic amount of information on them but unfortuantly Samsung stopped making them so I have been buying them up on eBay and off PeterLe's mate when he was selling his. (Thanks PeterLe!)
PeterLe

Ha ha Did he re sell them on?
He got a good deal on them..my missus just wanted them out ofthe house!
andyfuller

I have had two off him, one a couple of months ago and one about a year ago. Did he buy them off you?

Return to “Technology”