ssd anyone?

mobile

just been to upgrade my laptop and discovered that not all SSD's are the same size.
so - surplus to requirements
256 GB Samsung 850 pro - unused.
PM me if you are interested -£50 (including UK postage)
Alan
spreadbetting

What's wrong with the size, they're generally a standardised size. Only diferrences are usually where the older laptops bays are a bit taller so you usually get a spacer included in the the packet, just a piece of plastic to bring the size up from 7mm to over 9mm? so it lines up correctly.

Either way that is a bargain for a 250gb SSD , I was impressed and stuck them in my laptop and desktop. Well worth the upgrade as these days the HD is usually the weak link with processors easily capable of doing what most of us need.
mobile

My laptop (Ultrabook) already has SSD drive-128 gb.
All I was trying to do was to increase the drive capacity, as it has already gone over 90 GB in use.
SSD in my laptop is approximately 1 x 1.5 inches (very small fit)
the SSD I bought is almost twice this dimension..
I think it is actually designed for use in a tower or replace mechanical hard drive in older laptop.this was not clear from the online sales description.
I have since discovered that I can buy a USB to sata connection cable, so I am probably going to use it as an external clone/backup disc.
spreadbetting

Guess the ultra books must use the little 1.8" ones. I bought one of those sata to USB enclosures so I didn't waste the old laptop drive when I replaced it. Cost around £3 on ebay and work fine http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291204924103

Might be a bit of a waste as a storage drive, if you have a desktop you can get adapter trays cheap so I'll fit in a spare 3.5" bay
gutuami

I upgraded an laptop using a a so called caddy. Instead of hdd I installed ssd and the hdd I installed in the caddy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-7mm-SATA-2 ... 3a940f67cd
spreadbetting

Never seen those before, much better than the one I'd got as few of us bother with the DVD drive and easy enough to slot it back in when needed.

Return to “Technology”