Cutting Teeth ... just a baby

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
Peeps

Following previous feedback, I don't worry now about the size of my stakes. I just keep practising.

I am using Bet Angel Trader - so not all the bells and whistles but it's good for me at the moment.

I have had most success with the Dutching component - with Soccer. I have won 9 out of 12 bets using the Duching software. I started with a very small bank of £20 and its now looking at around £35 after 1 week.

I think this is very promising but I am going to keep my stakes low for a long time yet.

All I am doing is experimenting and recording the results in quite a lot of detail so that in couple of weeks I can perhaps see where my mistakes are, and improve.

So far, I have only experimented with soccer following the example in the video demonstration. I think I am experimenting with the book% trade off with potential profit to find a reasonable level to aim at. Currently I take trades with between 66% and 84% - I don't take any notice of the teams who are playing because I have no understanding of football at all - total sacrilage I know! :D

I would like to try trading horse racing events but have only experimented in practise sessions using the One-click screen. I haven't achieved any success with this at all yet and am finding it very challenging. I have watched the video demonstration of this and it looks so simple but not (yet) for me.

I would like to see the total of what I have backed or laid in any race but can't work out how. Can anyone help?

When I click to Lay a price .... I am never sure if I have succeeded or whether it has been cancelled because in the Log it doesn't ( I don't think) always tell you if it has been filled.

It gives this message (example):
18/10/2015 14:11:02: £ 2.00 Back bet placed on Cobhams Circus at 5.3. Entirely unmatched when it initially reached the market. Ref: 10000
18/10/2015 14:11:02: £ 0.47 Lay bet placed on Cobhams Circus at 5.2. Entirely unmatched when it initially reached the market. Ref: 10002

Also:
18/10/2015 14:17:27: £ 0.54 Lay bet placed on Cobhams Circus at 4.4. Entirely unmatched when it initially reached the market. Ref: 10006 ( Fill or kill bet with 10 seconds delay. )
18/10/2015 14:17:37: £ 0.54 unmatched bet (Ref:10006) was killed.

I think the top example were filled and bottom unfilled - but I find the message confusing.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
gutuami

there's nothing confusing in the log
what I would point out is that Cobhams Circus has been withdrawn at the start.
http://www.skysports.com/racing/racecar ... s-handicap
langrik

Yeah there is no confusion in blog.
Bluesky

Its early days but it seems like you might be on to something useful with your football trading. If I was you I would probably concentrate on that for a while and look to improve on it until you are making good money.

Horse race trading is one of the most difficult sports to trade and very few people can do it successfully. If you read through some of the great posts on this site you will find people who make a good living sports trading but don't bother with horse racing because it is so difficult, and there is plenty of money to be made on other sports such as football.

If you get to the point where you are making decent money consistently from your footie bets then perhaps take a look at the horses, or use some of you trading profits to invest in a horse racing trading course from Peter Webb or others.
ShaunWhite

Peeps wrote:.. because I have no understanding of football at all - total sacrilage I know! :D
Nothing to be ashamed of Peeps. You can do technical trading (just looking at the numbers in the market) or trade fundamentals (researching teams etc). Either are fine (although I suspect the best do both). I trade horses but wouldn't know a jockey's name if he fell on me. But I also don't make a huge stack of money so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

Personally, the more I try and know about a team/horse/dog the worse I do. My opinion affects what my eyes are seeing.

The markets do what they do and what I think should happen has no bearing on it. It's why I've got a mug with 'Don't predict, respond' printed on it....not sure where I heard it, it could be one of Peters gems. (For the pedants I do accept that entering a market requires some degree of prediction or at least anticipation of how it's likely to move but ykwim).

....all I'm trying to say is that it's not one-size-fits-all in trading. No need to be ashamed of not knowing what you assume others think you should know.
ShaunWhite

Peeps wrote: I would like to see the total of what I have backed or laid in any race but can't work out how. Can anyone help?
If you select the 'Matched bets' tab of the main screen, and tick the 'Average odds' checkbox (only necessary if you've had more than one trade on a selection), this might show what you are looking for ? The BF site will also show similar and is nice reassurance that things have gone through while you're just starting out.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”