best piece of advice you have been given

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
footysystems

Dont eat Yellow snow and you will never make money trading :lol:
SeaHorseRacing

Dai Burchell said to me “ Every trainer in the game is trying to find an edge.
They best advantage you can have is to send your horses racing when fit.”
ShaunWhite

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 pm
Rather than when they're not?
Halliday

SeaHorseRacing wrote:

Like Dai Burchell as a trainer , straight talking and can ready a horse. Met him a few times, remember him telling me about setting up with his redundancy money from steel works.
But would take that quote with a pinch of salt..It was only last April that he was fined £3,000 by the stewards at Ffos Las for “ schooling and conditioning a horse in public, not the first time he’s done this, over the years.
Halliday

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:30 pm
SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Rather than when they're not?
He’s a bit of a “Scally “ is our Dai, and often runs his horses when clearly they are not race fit , as the stewards will testify , but he can get one ready , and is certainly more proficient then some trainers a lot younger and more high profile then him. Just never given the volume or class of horse to prove it , over a long career
SeaHorseRacing

Halliday wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 am
SeaHorseRacing wrote:

Like Dai Burchell as a trainer , straight talking and can ready a horse. Met him a few times, remember him telling me about setting up with his redundancy money from steel works.
But would take that quote with a pinch of salt..It was only last April that he was fined £3,000 by the stewards at Ffos Las for “ schooling and conditioning a horse in public, not the first time he’s done this, over the years.
I have met a fair few trainers. He is the most straight talking no bullshit man you could ever meet. But a great guy.

He knows how to play the system for sure and he knows when he has a winner.
If he lived in Newmarket he would have been champion trainer that’s a certainty.
Halliday

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am
Halliday wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 am
SeaHorseRacing wrote:

I have met a fair few trainers. He is the most straight talking no bullshit man you could ever meet. But a great guy.

He knows how to play the system for sure and he knows when he has a winner.
If he lived in Newmarket he would have been champion trainer that’s a certainty.

Yes top man .. think he did move briefly to train for John Pointon at Wetley in staffs but moved back to Gwent after a year or so .. Sue Wilton took over I think , and was quite successful in the late eighties early nineties, when the Pointon colours were often seen .

Not sure wherever he trained that he’d have had a huge string , training these days is often more about who you know( always has been I guess) and the PR side to attract owners etc, think Dai would be more Ginger McCain then Donald McCain ( as an example of different styles and how Donald went out of way to attract new owners etc) .
Or often being in the right place at the right time eg Charlie Appleby, I’m a big fan of Newmarket trainer John Berry who I’m sure is just as skilled as Appleby and seems very knowledgeable when I’ve seen him on the Sunday forum, and does well with moderate animals.Jim Boyle is another small trainer I like ( seems to be hitting form 3wins from last 4 runners , with only 4 horses engaged in next seven days , worth noting them )
SeaHorseRacing

Funnily Enough John Berry is my fav trainer!
invisiblelayer

Avoid BBS (Betfair Balance Syndrome) - People become completely obsessed day in day out. If you have done your research and have developed an edge, find a good staking plan and stick to your selections religiously. Cover your balance up and check after 300 selections or more. Also had plenty of advice to help with discipline but essentially you have to learn yourself or it keeps repeating, easy to blow up anything chasing. What helped me massively also was starting to record the bets, takes a few minutes each morning and just the basics plus starting prices betfair and industry, also I calculate the reciprocal of the odds of each bets which will shows value of bets over time. I used to get too wrapped up in the now rather than the big picture so blew banks easily :lol:

What also didn't help me was also obsessing over watching inplay prices, sometimes I'd pay more attention to the betting rather that watching so it took the enjoyment away and being logged into Betfair I found it easy to get into chase mode. It all become a different animal actually getting bets on mostly before racing had started and walking away, turning screens off, getting out going racing, gardening or whatever, leave it at that come what may with the outcomes. This used to take some doing as some of my bets I'd want matched inplay, especially if laying anything I'd know would go much shorter that its SP but in time it becomes a habit then I'd check at night or the next morning when studying for the next lot of racing on the timeform page.
ShaunWhite

invisiblelayer wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:45 pm
sometimes I'd pay more attention to the betting rather that watching so it took the enjoyment away
This is a bit of a paradox with sports trading, its attracts sports lovers and then they spoil the pleasure of watching it by having money involved & high-speed spoiler alerts. It's a 'thing' because I know some people here don't trade what they want to sit back and really enjoy. Thankfully 95% of it is just an advertising vehicle or layed on my promotions companies, so it doesn't spoil that much.
Halliday

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:53 pm
Funnily Enough John Berry is my fav trainer!
He has a good website and his blog is always interesting, currently discussing the dearth of handicaps for 4yo and upwards only,and the rule { he thinks it’s still in place ) that states ...”that at least each programme has to have two races beyond a mile whose aggregate distance is at least two and a half miles. This is a very good thing because it helps to ensure that Britain doesn't go down the way of the New World in making races beyond 1800m”

Which I agree with .. I remember looking at the result of last years Melbourne cup, and think something like the first 13 places were occupied by ex European horses , highlighting the lack of staying talent over there

Well worth a read ..Lots about his string and future running plans plus old Roy Rocket who seems to be gathering quite a following.And well deserved too
Korattt

I've a few but mainly,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nivi7

aim for a unit per day,anything more is greed
LinusP

nivi7 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am
aim for a unit per day,anything more is greed
I think you are on the wrong forum.
nivi7

LinusP wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:15 am
nivi7 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am