Need automation testers

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
ZeroCounty

Hello,

Although i am new to posting in the community, i have been using and testing a lot of automation from the forum. recently i received a mail from betfair stating my account had some restrictions. Due to which i can no longer test my strategies.

So i was wondering that if some of you people can team up with me and divide the testing phase. I am sure with teamwork all can benefit.

Please do reply here with your thoughts regarding this.

Thank you
ShaunWhite

Just place some real trades.
BF isn't a free testing service, no wonder they get pissed off. If they allowed it then everything would grind to a halt with the load of a million tests blazing away and it would be real money traders that suffered.
Your answer is to spend a few quid and keep them sweet.
Derek27

ZeroCounty wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 pm
Hello,

Although i am new to posting in the community, i have been using and testing a lot of automation from the forum. recently i received a mail from betfair stating my account had some restrictions. Due to which i can no longer test my strategies.

So i was wondering that if some of you people can team up with me and divide the testing phase. I am sure with teamwork all can benefit.

Please do reply here with your thoughts regarding this.

Thank you
Would you be willing to spend your valuable time testing somebody else's strategy, which you may not even be interested in ?
ZeroCounty

Well the idea is to learn from mistakes. So that means if we dont test out things then we lose. Just to make a few people happy (who are well versed in the system, who has a working strategy) doesn't mean others have to suffer. We all know that if one is making some money here then someone else is loosing. So just trying to learn to be on the winning side thats all. Coz if we make money Betfair will be happy.
Derek27

I wasn't suggesting that we don't test strategies, I was just questioning whether it's practical to share the work out amongst a team unless it's a group of people who are all interested in the same strategy and singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak. I'd love to have a team of people to carry out my testing but they're probably busy doing their own testing and trading.

One way of testing is to place real bets using the £2 minimum. You can go lower but that could cause problems with Betfair.
ZeroCounty

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm
I wasn't suggesting that we don't test strategies, I was just questioning whether it's practical to share the work out amongst a team unless it's a group of people who are all interested in the same strategy and singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak. I'd love to have a team of people to carry out my testing but they're probably busy doing their own testing and trading.

One way of testing is to place real bets using the £2 minimum. You can go lower but that could cause problems with Betfair.
What you said is true, i don't dispute it. But what i meant was divide and conquer. Just imagine some people are helping your work and it turn as a show of good faith you can do the same to them, meanwhile gaining some more knowledge than you previously didn't have. We interact in this forum for the same reason, sometimes it doesn't help us at all but it could help someone else out.
Derek27

With respect ZC, you asked for help with the testing phase without explain exactly what strategy you're testing.

You may have noticed on this forum that for every strategy put forward that interests people there is one put forward that gets criticised. It won't help anyone if they disagree with, and are not interested in the work.

All I'm saying is that you need to specify exactly what your strategy and testing is about, and then anyone who takes a liking to it can get involved.
ZeroCounty

Its my fault, i should have explained more clearly. TBH i was in between testing few automated strategy about inplay horse race market. But before any conclusive results, my account was hit with some restrictions. So i thought it will be nice to form a group of like-minded people, together we can work on some strategies. I would be happy to share my strategies with these people of course and also learn from them.

I did not post my file for the same reason what you have mentioned. Its better to have constructive criticism from few than just outright dismissal.
ShaunWhite

If you want to test a strategy you need to do it over several months of markets really. You won't find an edge that works across the board so you need a large sample size to start to identify the markets/distances/race types/field sizes etc it's effective on. You would be much better off getting the BF history files and then you can run hundreds of scenarios on years of data. Perhaps your team idea would be best applied in this area if that project is a bit much for you.

But, the big but, with sharing precise settings as you hope to is that at the time/price 'we' identify as critical there is only a certain amount of money that can be matched, often very little. If my set up is faster than yours then I make money and you don't. Do you still want to share?

Specific edges (rather than generalisations) are very closely guarded, hard earned and very precious things for very good reasons.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm
Testing with £2 can get surprisingly expensive over a few hundred markets if it's a crap idea and just normal expensive most of the other times. Especially if several selections are involved.

The only real problem with sub £2 trades is that they are slower. Betfair won't give a damn. The only consideration is that the minimum you need to use Take SP is £2 back or £10 lay liability. If you go too small though then you'll have weird rounding issues and the commission will be different when you scale up. The commission on a penny win is nothing, on a tenner it's not.
rayhigh

Hi ZeroCounty

I've sent you a private message re this post.

Regards... Ray

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”