New beta version of Bet Angel v1.47.0

ShaunWhite

!!!! INSTALLATION PROBLEM ?

I changed the installaion folder to be 'Bet Angel - Professional v1.47" so i wouldn't over write my old 'Bet Angel - Professional" folder.

The install has completed and it has deleted my old 'Bet Angel - Professional" folder and obviously all of it's sub folders !!!!.
WHY ? No archived copy of it, nothing in the recycle bin either, genius. What Beta install has EVER removed the Alpha ! BA dev are usually great but this is rollout 101.

'kin furious as I had other stuff in there too !!! Incl new templates.

It's time to go a backup and cross my fingers.

...thankfully it hasn't done the same to the ApplicatioData folder, or created a new one, so my old rules are still there.
Is it common knowledge you can't have 2 versions installed ? Did I miss that meeting.
Dallas

So is it just,
Fixed Stake
Back stake = Preset amount
Lay stake = Preset amount

By Liability (Lay Only)
Back stake = Preset amount
Lay stake = Seed Stake is the amount your willing to risk no matter what odds you place your lay at, so with a seed stake of £50 lay @ 4.0 the amount placed is £16.67, put your lay bet at 18 and the amount placed will be £2.94.

By Liability (Back & Lay Bets)
Back stake = (think of it as Profit you want to make) so if you wanted a £50 profit from a bet you would chose a seed stake of £50 then when you place the bet the software calculates the amount required to return a £50 profit - so if you put a back bet at 6.0 the amount placed would be £10 as that is whats required to make you £50 profit if it wins at these odds
Lay stake = As Above

By Book%
Back stake = Preset amount / Price - yes (a £20 stake and place a bet at odds of 5.0 the amount submitted would be £4 (£20 / 5.0 = £4)
Lay stake = Preset amount / Price - yes (a £20 stake and place a bet at odds of 5.0 the amount submitted would be £4 (£20 / 5.0 = £4)

By Tick Size
Profit per tick increment - £5 seed stake will place what ever amount is required so that you make £5 each tick the price moves, this is also the same as its always been https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/aut ... 3D&mw=MzIw

Why did you not just install it over the top - it keeps all exsisting settings, profiles, automation files exactly as they are the same as it does with every new upgrade.
You'll probably find your old folder is still there at this file path C:/Users/Your user name/AppData/Roaming/Bet Angel/Bet Angel Professional
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm
Why did you not just install it over the top -
Because it's a beta. And a new version, and it allows it.
I've installed new versions into new version folders for donkeys years. It's what you do incase an install fcks up.

I can run every old version of Word or ACDSEE or GIMP or Inkscape or Sketchup I've ever had. Different versions have different pro's and cons.
Dallas wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm
You'll probably find your old folder is still there at this file path C:/Users/Your user name/AppData/Roaming/Bet Angel/Bet Angel Professional
That's not where the installs go, that's just the AppData folder .

...ta for the other info...i'll look at it later
ShaunWhite

Thankfully my overnight incremental backup seems to be intact. So no real permanent drama.

It would be handy though if the install had a warning to say that it won't work like normal installs do. Or a 'Don't bother changing this' message on the default install folder prompt.

Serves me right for keeping stuff in the Program Files (x86) folder I guess. Lesson learnt.
ShaunWhite

We also seem to have 46 unresolved registry entries from the old version.
Untitled.png
I'm sorry if I appear 'over sensitive' about what to some appear to be trivial software issues. I'm a bit OCD about software testing. I come from many years of software development in an environment where problems cost millions and issues are zero tollerance. If there's one obvious problem then I worry there's others less obvious, that makes any issue a big issue. Unfortunately when I find problems and I can't fire someone or chuck them in the Thames from the top floor, I end up venting on here a bit more than I maybe should. I'm not a good passenger and miss being the driver.

It was just the frustration of sitting on 1.44 until 3 later versions have been user tested, changing the install folder as a precaution....and still getting slightly shafted that did it.

On the upside, 1.47 looks like a upgrade well worth doing, especially from 1.44.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

We don't have a great deal of control over the installation routine as it's auto generated following a bit of configuration. It'd be nice to have the time to handcraft it, but we've limited development resource and focus all of the our time moving the product forward - the installer gets about an hour per release.The concept of overwriting the previous version was set many years ago as customers had a habit of leaving old versions installed and complained when they ran an old version - we've had significantly less support queries since getting the new installation to auto-uninstall the old.

If you want two versions side by side then I think you can trick the installer by renaming the folder of the first installation (that way it can't find the files to uninstall them!).
jimibt

an alternative way round this is to create a VM installation with your core apps in place and version those. This is a more robust way fwd as it is a self contained environment and as such is free from external influence. I personally don't take the jump into new versions until anecdotal evidence appears to support its robust nature (and/or the proper prod version appears). I don't think I could be bothered with keeping multiple copies of named folders laying around. My approach would be the VM if you really need to hold onto robust back versions.
geoffs

I have the new 1.47 version on my home computer which is great but I can't download to my VPS when using the VPS link above as I receive a message saying the site is not available.
Help please.
ShaunWhite

And now when I try and run it after a reboot...
Untitled.png
FYI there's no parameters on my shortcut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimibt

shaun,

good chance my suggestion won't work, but i've often seen similar messages to that when you have a command line that contains space (as most do tbh). to resolve this, enclose the shortcut link between dbl quotes.

As i said good chance (it won't) :D
Willygubbins

Bet Angel wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 pm
Willygubbins wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 pm
With the new addition of Offsetting by percentage, Is there a new Spreadsheet/ or command to enact this on the spread sheet or is it as simple as typing:

=BACK[OFFSET:50%][WITHGREENING:TRUE]
Nearly. You'd enter: BACK OFFSET_PERC:50.0 WITH_GREENING:TRUE

The new commands are:
  • OFFSET_PERC:x.x
  • STOP_PERC:x.x
  • STOP_PLACE_PERC:x.x
I have made F5 convert the countdown timer into minutes countdown.
I posted the following formula but the bet was not placed what have i done wrong?

=IF(F5=3,"BACK OFFSET_PERC:66.6 WITH_GREENING:TRUE","")
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

geoffs wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm
... I can't download to my VPS when using the VPS link above as I receive a message saying the site is not available.
I just tested it here on a VPS and it downloaded first time, so all I can suggest is that you try again or copy the link address into a browser. The URL is the same as the normal beta, but with the prefix changed from BAP_ to BAPSE_
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Willygubbins wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:51 pm
=IF(F5=3,"BACK OFFSET_PERC:66.6 WITH_GREENING:TRUE","")
The "BACK OFFSET_PERC:66.6 WITH_GREENING:TRUE" command works correctly, assuming you've also filled in the price and stake cells, so perhaps independtanly test that F5 has the value you expect. i.e. Test that the underlying value is actually an integer value of minutes, rather than a decimal value that is just displaying as whole number.
You could prove your betting command works first by manually typing 3 into F5.
geoffs

OK thanks
I'll try the download again later
ShaunWhite

Bet Angel wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 am
We don't have a great deal of control over the installation routine as it's auto generated following a bit of configuration. It'd be nice to have the time to handcraft it, but we've limited development resource and focus all of the our time moving the product forward - the installer gets about an hour per release.The concept of overwriting the previous version was set many years ago as customers had a habit of leaving old versions installed and complained when they ran an old version - we've had significantly less support queries since getting the new installation to auto-uninstall the old.

If you want two versions side by side then I think you can trick the installer by renaming the folder of the first installation (that way it can't find the files to uninstall them!).
Thanks for taking the time to provide a considered reply. I understand the difficulties and constraints you work under.

Peter often mentions how, having aquired 15-20 or years trading experience , he finds it frustrating when people question his abilities or understanding. You can therefore understand why I find it equally frustrating, having had twice as long as that in developement, when people try to expain why 'professional' software lacks that final polish.

I'd ask you to look at your comments such as "We don't have a great deal of control over the installation", "It'd be nice to have the time to handcraft it", "focus all of the our time moving the product forward", "the installer gets about an hour per release" and take a moment to think about how that sounds.

Consumer software really is the only arena where a lack of time and effort are considered to be reasonable explainations for failure. BA is on the whole a very accomplished and impressive piece of work, but the devil is in the detail. I'd question the prioritisation of non essential features over getting the fundamentals drum tight. There're dull and unprofitable but are, in my opinion, essential.

The passion, and generocity with their knowledge that the BA team and community have shown when it comes to trading been extraordinary, I'd like to think that my own passion and knowledge, although sometimes lacking tact, could be taken on board in some small way. I already feel quite attached to your product and I'd love to see it go from being great to being exceptional, it's so so close.

Return to “Bet Angel - Release & version history”