Daily profit

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
markybhoy

I am currently running a automated system with greyhounds. 60+ races per day. The problem is i can get profit if over 30% some days but because the bot keeps running i sometimes end up with a loss.
Is there any way to stop guardian once a set profit is reached or once my account balance reaches a set ammount??
Dallas

While it is possible with excel its not as straightforward as you would think, and not possible using Guardians automation
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12009
ShaunWhite

markybhoy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:00 pm
I am currently running a automated system with greyhounds. 60+ races per day. The problem is i can get profit if over 30% some days but because the bot keeps running i sometimes end up with a loss.
Is there any way to stop guardian once a set profit is reached or once my account balance reaches a set ammount??
You loss isn't because the bot keeps running, it's because the strategy has issues. How is the first race tomorrow any different from the last race today? You're basically asking 'how do I stop a bot before it loses'. We'd all like to know that one.
markybhoy

Cheers for the replies.
Saun its not a system based on individual races its a system based on statistics over a period of races. I understand what your saying if it was based race to race.
If i was at home betting i could stop after say 10 races if i was up the same as i could at a bookies but obviously guardian cannot do it so i will have to figure a work arround

Dallas i read your previous post and explains alot of how it wouldnt work but if i knew i was starting everyday at 11am and ending at 6pm and only cencentraing on greyhounds then i would know start and end balance. I couldnt set a loss tho as you explained but i could set a profit stop. If i knew how lol
Derek27

markybhoy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:00 pm
The problem is i can get profit if over 30% some days but because the bot keeps running i sometimes end up with a loss.
I think you'll find that if you program your bot to trade randomly you'll be in exactly the same situation - some days you'll hit 30% but end up making a loss!

Your bots don't seem to be profitable, and as Shaun said, stopping at a profit will not change the situation.
cmuddle

I run automation everyday and follow the progress on the BF app. When I want the automation to stop I just withdraw the money from the account and that way no more bets will be placed.
Derek27

That's not really a clean or practical solution, given that it can take a few days to get the money into your bank account. Do it every day and you'll end up with a lot of money in limbo.
LinusP

You can transfer o another wallet, I do this a lot to prevent accidents.

But tbh it sounds like you don’t have a profitable strategy, limiting your profits is the opposite of what you should be doing.
Derek27

LinusP wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:38 pm
You can transfer o another wallet, I do this a lot to prevent accidents.

But tbh it sounds like you don’t have a profitable strategy, limiting your profits is the opposite of what you should be doing.
When you think about it, if you limit your profits but don't limit your losses you have to question exactly what your objective is.

If the aim is to reduce your losses (even to prevent you from losing money won), it suggest's the trader is expecting to lose and perhaps the best strategy would be to not use the bot at all!
Jukebox

I can think of a workaround:

If you set up a file to periodically attempt a safe lay bet that commits all of your bank including the profit you hope to keep - if its there.

Imagine you have a £100 bank and wish to quit if it hits £120 or more.

If you have a file running to also periodically place a lay bet at 2's on something really safe from being matched and distant for example: Man City to win the Champions League for £120
One of two things will happen
The bet will be rejected for lack of funds - you haven't reached your target yet or the files are using the funds currently
or
The bet will be put to the market committing the funds and preventing your autotrades from using the funds.

When you come home hopefully you'll discover that you have an unmatched lay bet on Man City at 2's for £120 that you can now cancel - or you've been the lucky benificiary of an almighty fat finger and green out for a fortune.
Kafkaesque

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 pm
You loss isn't because the bot keeps running, it's because the strategy has issues. How is the first race tomorrow any different from the last race today?
markybhoy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 pm
Saun its not a system based on individual races its a system based on statistics over a period of races.
I don't do greyhounds, so someone - preferably OP - will correct if I'm way off here, but the above sounds strange to me and not like a viable way to create a successful approach (given the other context). Makes me think that the issue is that it's a Martingale or some similar "system" that's returning to its mean return of a negative EV as the races progress.
markybhoy

No trading system is 100% bulletproof and no trader can guarantee profits. Taking profits as you go and not seeing them disappear is all im after. This is not a martingale system or similar. Its a stats based system.
Thanks for all the feedback anyway guys. Cheers
Jukebox

I gave a workaround
Derek27

markybhoy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:07 pm
No trading system is 100% bulletproof and no trader can guarantee profits. Taking profits as you go and not seeing them disappear is all im after. This is not a martingale system or similar. Its a stats based system.
I don't mean to be funny Mark, but the only way to stop your profits disappearing is to stop trading for life. If you stop betting for the day they can disappear the next day. Making money and losing it the same day is only different to making money one day and losing it the next, psychologically, because you were happy to be in front for one day. Put on your trading hat and you'll realise it's exactly the same thing!
Last edited by Derek27 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinusP

markybhoy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:07 pm
Have you done the stats on limiting your profit?

If it’s a stats based system then you are after value and should be taking value, value doesn’t disappear when you reach your daily profit target.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”