Closing a Dutched Position

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
RoRo82

Hi

I consider myself pretty new to this but have a basic understanding of Bet Angel and the basic mechanics of trading, really enjoying it so far.

Sorry if this has been covered though (although if it is I haven't been able find it) but could I ask advice with dutching please?

My question is: How do you safely close a position that is set up in dutching? Say for example in horse racing and you've covered/dutched the front 4 runners but a 5th runner that isn't covered comes steaming in out of nowhere and looks like its going to win (normally very clear on the in play trader) and so closing the position, even for a moderate loss is a sensible idea.

I've read on the forums that greening up a dutched position is a bad idea, and it is initially disabled within the software for that reason. However, what other other options are available to close those 4 open positions please? Is there anything within the software that will enable that? Its such an amazing program I figured that as it's only 4 back bets that I want to close (albeit pretty hastily) there must be something I can do, but I can't figure it out and so thought I'd ask here on the forum.

Sorry if this is a really basic question though! Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Cheers
Derek27

Welcome to the forum RoRo82. Dutching generally involves taking a gamble on a few runners and being willing to suffer a loss if one of the other runners win. You can green up but as you say, it's not a good idea, especially in running as it results in lay bets on every dutched runner and if runners are out of contention it won't retrieve much of your losses.

You could dutch the fifth runner but if it's a short price it's really throwing in good money to save the bad and it still wouldn't cover you from another horse closing in at the finish.
RoRo82

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and for coming back so quickly, really appreciate it.

I actually thought that may be the case, it came to me just after I submitted my post (!) 'just dutch the 5th one' - but using 'back for a target of' to reclaim my original stake if the 5th one comes in to win, but as you say it doesn't cover anything if the 5th one then goes out again! it makes the whole thing messy and worse.

It's good to hear it confirmed back to me though it really helps, and thanks for clarifying about the lay bets on the 4 that are already dutched too, also helpful as it's been guess work up to now for me.

I'm gonna play around generally with the in play trader some more - and just accept that there is gambling involved with dutching (but that it really has application in certain circumstances)!

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Cheers

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”