EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
to75ne

convoysur-2 wrote:scotland want to have another referendum.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 59071.html
worse there could be a marmite shortage.

they forget to mention that. migrants, single markets, freedom of movement etc, but they never said we could have a marmite shortage. the bastards kept that quiet.
fortfield

The bbc fall on their arse again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgeon.html

To be fair an easy mistake to make :D
kerberus

To be fair an easy mistake to make
No it isn't - only one of them is dangerous. The other is cuddly in a sort of cute way :roll:
Euler

Thank you for making with have a real LOL moment
Emmson

The catalyst for chaos, lots of chaos, with much more chaos to come!
Euler

I reckon Brexit won't happen now for some time if at all. EU holds ALL the cards.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 am
I reckon Brexit won't happen now for some time if at all. EU holds ALL the cards.
I don't agree with you here.

Article 50 has been triggered, and I believe Theresa May will be forced to step down. However, they have won enough seats to ask for the DUP's help to get them into power, and the DUP were Brexit supporters. I think May's successor will be chosen as a staunch Brexit supporter, most likely either David Davis or Boris Johnson, and the negotiations will continue
Euler

I have a friend who works in Brussels and they feel it's probably the best possible result for them from a negotiating stance.

The ability of politicians to hinder and disrupt, especially with a hung parliament, could mean any negotiations are heavily shackled.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:50 am
Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 am
I don't agree with you here.
LeTiss is right about us leaving, but we now have the chance to negotiate a sensible brexit with cross party support.

Nothing has changed, the EU always held all the cards, that's what happens when you jump out of a plane with no parachute.

This appears to be May's negotiating strategy....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JOGmXpe5I
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 am
hinder and disrupt, especially with a hung parliament, could mean any negotiations are heavily shackled.
That's the true spirit of democracy. Politics isn't sport with clear winners and losers, the whole country needs a say in their future.
Dublin_Flyer

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:15 pm
Euler wrote:I think the EU should have followed Ireland and held referendums around the constitution and got them change but if the EU refused then leave.
Regarding this, the next constitutional referendum in Ireland is most likely to be about repealing the 8th amendment to the constitution!

The 8th amendment gives equal rights to the unborn child and mother, basically banning abortion. Even in cases of fatal fetal abnormalities where the child has 0% of being born alive and the mothers life could be at risk, no possibility of abortion, get on Ryanair and fook off to England pretty much!

A bit more background, the 8th amendment was in 1983, a time when the church still held a huge say in everything that happened in Ireland. Also before the priests/christian brothers abusing kids scandals came to light, always known, but never nationally recognised. The parish priest in my primary school was known as Fr Willygrabber for fook sake!

The under 35 group showed the national will to get rid of the backwards religious reputation of Ireland by turning out en masse for the last referendum recognising gay marriage, they will no doubt do the same whenever the bucket of cunts in government finally set a date for this referendum.

As a 35 year old, I can firmly say the only people voting to keep the 8th amendment will be the severely religious, or uninformed arseholes, thankfully they're in the minority now. Even the elderly are more tolerant to being liberal now, for example, my president (while a senator) debated Tea Party boy Michael Graham and called him a wanker in a live radio debate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZO2jIR8hc4

Once the referendum is announced and markets open, it's a no brainer the Repeal side will win by a large margin, get ready to fill your pockets! :P

Apologies for the long post going off topic. :?

Back on topic, personally it looks to me like Gove used the whole campaign as a Trojan Horse towards leadership of the party. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaz4SNKlW98
8th.JPG
Can't type, hands too full of cash :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xerxster

Anyone think that the chance of a second referendum has increased in the past month or so?
sionascaig

Xerxster wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:15 am
Anyone think that the chance of a second referendum has increased in the past month or so?
Based on chats with political insiders no.... but who can predict the future!

If brexit no deal or bad deal comes about I suspect there could be a vote of no confidence in the government. There are just so many different factions cutting across the political parties there will be a large group unhappy whatever solution is found leading to continued political uncertainty...

Pretty safe to say May will be gone by end of next year though...
ShaunWhite

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 am
Xerxster wrote:

If brexit no deal or bad deal comes about I suspect there could be a vote of no confidence in the government. There are just so many different factions cutting across the political parties there will be a large group unhappy whatever solution is found leading to continued political uncertainty...

Not a rant, just my take.... :)

Zero chance of a 2nd referendum. Zero chance of a referendum of the outcome of the negotiations.
Probably best that way too. They're supposed to know best, they know the real numbers, so I've no idea why they asked us in the first place. The day my doctor asks me for advice is the day I stop trusting him on anything. Total abdication of responsibility.

There's no such thing as 'No deal'
It's oversimplified spin. 'No deal' on day 1 maybe, but on day 2 some structure and agreement has to be in place. WTO rules get mentioned but that covers a tiny tiny part of our arrangments. WTO is only mentioned because most people think the only issue is car imports and it sounds easy.

May will stay.
The 1922 committee will go through hell and high water to keep May in, the next leader needs to be seen as steering our new HMS Britania, not as the 3rd in a row responsible for the current situation.

...it's a shame Llyod's of London & Goldmans (& Barclays & Deutche?) are moving.
Xerxster

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 am
Xerxster wrote:

Hey, coin tosses are more predictable than UK politics, past 3 years have shown so (doesn't meet anything goes, or will happen but seems like anything can happen if that makes any sense).

Return to “Political betting & arguing”