EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
marksmeets302

That's the ftse in pounds... convert it to any other currency and it's still down by a lot.
jimibt

marksmeets302 wrote:That's the ftse in pounds... convert it to any other currency and it's still down by a lot.
yes, the power of using data without balance (i.e. neglecting to factor in the weakmess (intentional typo) of the ££). it's scary that many will be suckered into thinking that last weeks' events were a flash in the pan and worse, many will continue to use false indicators to monitor the fallout.
PeterLe

Boris has just pulled out of the leadership race ...
jimibt

PeterLe wrote:Boris has just pulled out of the leadership race ...
omfg - he really DIDN'T think the leave campaign would win.. shame on him for not honouring his final commitment, after switching the lights off
Euler

Matched at a low of 1.33

Wonder what is going on there? Why wouldn't you following through on a campaign win?
jimibt

Euler wrote: Wonder what is going on there? Why wouldn't you following through on a campaign win?
i think he become what's known as a toxic asset. the scottish vote would not be behind him, given the unanimous remain result there. likewise in other remain consituencies.
Wainwright

Doesn't wan't to be the one to go down in history as the one who pulled the trigger, prefers to let Gove stand and then pick up the pieces a few years hence, if at all possible.

Proves they didn't want/expect to win as you would think they may have discussed post-win tactics between them wouldn't you ?
marksmeets302

Or he just doesn't want the job, and never counted on getting it. It will be very hard to do and most people will get hurt in monetary terms. The next prime minister won't be a popular fellow :-)
LeTiss

Theresa May even gets the Tartan out to appeal to the Scots!

:lol: Don't you just love Politicians.....absolute slimeballs!
jimibt

LeTiss 4pm wrote:Theresa May even gets the Tartan out to appeal to the Scots!

:lol: Don't you just love Politicians.....absolute slimeballs!
more interesting is probably the civil servants' roles behind each of the *candidates*. a story waiting to be told -in 50 years time; once redacted status removed :D
andyfuller

jimibt wrote:
marksmeets302 wrote:That's the ftse in pounds... convert it to any other currency and it's still down by a lot.
yes, the power of using data without balance (i.e. neglecting to factor in the weakmess (intentional typo) of the ££). it's scary that many will be suckered into thinking that last weeks' events were a flash in the pan and worse, many will continue to use false indicators to monitor the fallout.
It is a UK listing in £'s sterling so reference to it in terms of how it is trading to the $ or other currency is irrelevant imo. Or am I missing your point?

I don't recall ever hearing people reference any index in terms of another currency. Likewise when the £ was doing well against the $ recently I don't recall people saying the gains are x much great in the FTSE than they actually are.

You will always be able to find a currency that is doing better/worse to the native currency of a listing and make it fit the argument you want to make as to if the index is doing well or badly.
marksmeets302

I said it because I remember being surprised over the gain since 9/11 of the S&P500 vs the european indices, back in 2004. After compensating for the eur/usd, the graphs looked the same.

As far as the ftse goes, it's a product just like any other. If trading happens between two british people, the value of the pound doesn't matter. But as soon as you start selling it to a customer outside the UK, he will calculate what a fair price is in his currency.

There are advantages to a weaker pound, but once your government needs to buy goods or services in dollars they will need to exchange more pounds. How is the government getting more pounds? Taxes...
Euler

FTSE quite likley to rise in response to falling sterling as international companies that are listed on the FTSE will earning more on overseas earnings due to the fall in sterling.

My ULVR shares have done well since sterling bombed. I think it's too simplistic to say FTSE has risen so everything is rosy.
Euler

I'm sort of in the perfect position. I own UK equities which are rising again, but thanks to their performance I have a big US portfolio which is going up in value thanks to the drop in sterling.

It may be better for me to own ADR's in UK companies however?
Lost The Rider

The FTSE100 is a poor indicator of trader sentiment regarding the economy due to its multinational makeup. The 250 is a better measure and, whilst a slight about turn today, has bombed since brexit.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”