US Presidential Election 2020

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

It wasn't really a debate, it was just a slanging match, which Trump won hands down. But at least Biden tried to keep on subject. He just got shouted down.
Derek27

Sky's report that the two men were talking over each other is far from accurate. It was almost entirely Trump, Biden barely able to finish anything.
Naffman

Emmson wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:35 am
jameegray1 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 am
Only watched the second half but Trump is smashing him to pieces. I can't see the American people voting Biden in with debate performances like this. I reckon Trump will be odds on by the middle of October.
I never saw the debate (just awoke) but will not be taking you or Naffman's word for what happened. I'll just look at the market instead.
:lol: :lol:
Naffman

CNN had clinton winning 62-27 in 2016, was 60-28 tonight

YouGov had clinton winning 57-30 in 2016, was 48-41 tonight
Euler

I've just tuned in to watch the low lights, I can't imagine there are any highlights.
gazuty

Trump is the crassest person to be US President in my lifetime. All of that was on display.

Probably a deliberate tactic on his part to make it a wild verbal gutter brawl. Doesn’t resonate with me but then I’m not voting in US elections.

Edit. Crassest in public. Willy Jefferson got into a lot of crassness in private (which become public). Just watching his deposition where Billy lies under oath. Pretty breathtaking in retrospect.
Last edited by gazuty on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

ss 2020-09-30 at 10.38.58.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesg46

Kafkaesque wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:03 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:10 pm
Unclassified just before the 1st debate, the Russia hoax was Hillary's plan & the Obama - Biden administration was briefed.
Even as a person leaning left, Hillary was only the slightly lesser of two evils/poor options (in 2016; in a 2020 pandemic world more so). She was always dirty and more of the same old bs. The only question was if she was AS dirty as Trump claimed.

Therefore I wouldn't be in the slightest surprised if it's true. Still, the timing is curious at best. Ratcliffe's predecessor, Coats, was also handpicked by Trump, and he was already blacklisted by the Russians when he stepped into the role and had nothing to lose by meddling to Trump's advantage. Anyone with more than four functioning braincells can put things together and make out that it's been held as an ace up the sleeve to such an extent that it loses all creditability as, potential, truth. In terms of the market in question here, the only relevant piece of the puzzle is how many swing voters, you'd think has between one and four braincells.

It's just yet, yet another sign that the US as a democracy and nation is broken, close to beyond repair. They'll be lucky to it into 2021 without outright civil war. Which I don't say gleefully, to be clear. Just as the tell-tell signs were there, that a spark would set off the civil unrest that's been happening (and I, unfortunately, called on here), likewise there's enough happening for the next spark to go booooooom and not like a few months back go puff.
I'm not sure the timing was curious, my initial thought just supported my overall view & that is that the whole thing is going to produce nothing more than the last 4 years packed into a few hours of squabble. I dont know if that was brought up last night (i didn't watch) but I have no doubt it'll be part of the "show" at some point.

I 100% agree with your view that there will be an outright civil war, no matter which way the election goes. This has also been in my thoughts for some time now, both sides of the political arena have done nothing to calm the emotions of their base, instead they've filled their tummy's with fire.

In all honesty, I have no idea which way to lean, I don't care much for sides. I don't doubt that over 100 million in opinions is better than mine, the hypothesis in my position is how eager is the opinion.
Naffman

Biden gamble well overdone
gazuty

Naffman wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:07 pm
Trump “lost” the first debate against Hilary. But just looking at that - there were quite a few similarities.

It’s so hard to watch Trump, he speaks in rambling disjointed thought bubble to thought bubble style, combined with bombast and tangents. It’s interesting how it is able to cut through not only with his base but with others. I think that is because he is willing to just go for it - say his thought without much of a filter and see where it goes. It’s clearly authentic.
Naffman

gazuty wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 pm
Naffman wrote:
Trump “lost” the first debate against Hilary. But just looking at that - there were quite a few similarities.

It’s so hard to watch Trump, he speaks in rambling disjointed thought bubble to thought bubble style, combined with bombast and tangents. It’s interesting how it is able to cut through not only with his base but with others. I think that is because he is willing to just go for it - say his thought without much of a filter and see where it goes. It’s clearly authentic.
People want somebody who says what they think, Biden didn't commit to anything, looked lethargic and seemed to get triggered everytime Trump interrupted him
jamesg46

gazuty wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 pm
Naffman wrote:

I get the impression that Trumps raw personality is what attracts his base, he's not scripted reading off of the same old sheet. I think they find some hope in that. Biden already all over social media because of his mic, I very much doubt that Trump hasn't got people in his ear too but he clearly doesn't listen to them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gazuty

Naffman wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:34 pm
People want somebody who says what they think
Agree, across the spectrum that is what people want.
Naffman wrote:
Biden didn't commit to anything
Agree. Eg The new green deal was a yes then a no. He channeled trump when he said “I am the Democratic Party”.
Naffman wrote:
Biden looked lethargic and seemed to get triggered everytime Trump interrupted him
I thought Biden did well on some occasions. Got in a few good lines and took some big deep breaths and looked back to the camera and spoke to it rather than to trump.

I just don’t like Biden’s policies (and I don’t like all of trumps either, I hate all the protectionism, trump sometimes reminds me of a 19th century Tariff man) - not that he articulated any in the debate. His worse line was “Antifa is just an idea”. It’s not an idea it’s an anarchic organisation burning down cities and creating chaos.
Trader Pat

What a shit show! Late night tv at its finest!

I was surprised and disappointed that Trump's price drifted I was hoping it would come in! I didn't think the debate would have much effect on the market. The next debate in 2 weeks will be very very interesting, its a town hall format so Biden and Trump will have to answer questions from a group of 'undecided' voters, I think that benefits Biden more. Trump didn't do to well at his last town hall when he was effectively told to shut up by an audience member until she finished asking her question. If last nights debate caused his price to drift then I can only imagine it will drift again after the next debate.

It's left me with a decision to make in the market!
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
People want somebody who says what they think,
I doubt his advisors do - it's what he thinks that's the problem.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”