2015 UK General Election

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
BJGardner

Parties should be campaigning on how aggressively they are going to sort out the economic problems and start raising interest rates back to normal levels, but that appears to be a sideshow.

Its wierd how parties will panda to the grey vote (who I assume a greater proportion of have paid off their mortgage and have some investment income or money put aside in an account somewhere) on lots of things, but promising higher interest rates is seen as political suicide.
Euler

After the dreadful scenes in France it looks like immigration will be a hot topic for sure in the election. I think people are completely fed up with this sort of stuff now.

Only parties with very hard lines will gain votes at the election.
Euler

Serious challenge to UKIP developing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30819779
Euler

Betfair have done a nice job on the General election page: -

http://www.betfairpredicts.com/?mpch=ads
Euler

Labour drifted a bit on Ed's performance on tonight's debate.
LeTiss

Ed Miliband Prime Minister

Just seeing it in Black & White is making me sweat.......absolutely terrifying
Euler

Battle still as close as ever and getting tighter!
to75ne

milliband cant win he is too fecking ugly/peculiar looking - there is no way the british establish will let him represent G.B. as prime minister too ugly.

he makes angela merkel look pretty for crying out loud. if labour gets elected or forms a coalition etc, MI5 will arrange an accident. there is no way he will be allowed to be pm.
Naffman

I think I read in a QI book that in UK General Elections, the taller of the two will win 80% of the time :o

I can't see Cameron losing but I would love Farage up there!

Update: Cameron is 184cm compared to Ed who is 180cm. Interesting 8-)
superfrank

'watched the opposition party leaders debate last night and it was pretty depressing stuff.

apart from Farage they demonstrated almost complete economic illiteracy - as he pointed out, none of them has ever had a proper job so maybe it's not surprising.

the 3 loony left women appeared to think that money really does grow on trees.

for me Cameron is just a modern version of a wet Tory, but it's Osborne i loathe - every 6 months another govt backed scheme to pump house prices under the pretence of helping people to buy (lower prices would do that nicely without his meddling, but the banks + developers wouldn't like that).

it's Farage (i take my hat off to anyone who can make money trading gold!) and UKIP for me - the only party who wants us out of the EU and to stop immigration. easy choice.
fortfield

BBCs left wing bias highlighted in all its rancidness last night and Dimbleby had the nerve to say the audience was a cross section.You hear a pin drop when Farage gave his answers yet plenty of applause for the others despite Farage being the only one talking reality.See the group hug the witches of eastwick shared at the end, proper sickening stuff that, dont envy Milliband working with them post election.
superfrank

Miliband into 4/5 from Evens a few days ago.

yikes, can we really have a dweeb like him running the country?!
LeTiss

My original post was spot on, Labour were a great lay at under Evens for most seats
Naffman

When push comes to shove the public tend to lean towards the current leadership. Cameron has done a very decent job IMO and I've never seen an oppo. leader hated as much as Miliband.
tweebie1999

Election forecast 21 April:

Conservative 283 seats
Labour 270 seats
Liberal Democats 26 seats
Ukip 1 seat
SNP 47 Seats
Green 1 seat
Other 22 seats

So who will work with who?

Tories - UKIP - Lib Dem = 283 + 26 + 1 = 310 seats
Labour - SNP - Green = 270 + 47 + 1 = 318 seats

So assuming LIB Dems work with the Conservatives (which cant be guaranteed) then we need to drill down and look at the make up of the Others.

Plaid Cymru 4 seats
DUP 8 seats
SDLP 3 seats
Sinn Fein 5 seats
Respect 1 seat
Alliance 1 seat

Of these Sinn Fein dont turn up so they can be discounted. That leaves:

Conservative leaning parties : DUP
Labour leaning parties: Plaid Cymru - SDLP - Respect - Alliance

No we have the following totals:

Conservative and friends : 318 seats
Labour and Friends : 327 seats

So as I see it, if Labour are prepared to enter into some agreement with SNP then they will have a narrow majority. If however Lib Dems side with Labour instead of Conservative then Labour will have a substantial majority. Labour and Lib Dem could enter into a formal coalition and have informal support from SNP.

My own opinion: immigration isn't the issue, it is good for the country. Neither is the EU. The issue has to be the economy and as far as I am concerned Labour has always left the economy in a mess.

I am off to live abroad luckily so I will escape. I will however watch from afar as our new PM appears in every European newspaper depicted as a knife wielding brother killer or a goofy bunny rabbit.

Who said:

' THE LAST ONE TO LEAVE PLEASE TURN OFF THE LIGHTS'?

Return to “Political betting & arguing”