Horse Racing - Standard Times

The sport of kings.
nigelk

Scraped a list of times from the Racing Post a while ago, Dumbass that I am, I forgot to include the year, but I think it was 2014/2015. Has nearly 11,000 races but no going details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weemac

Do the published standard race timings take into consideration the recent race starting changes in jumps races i.e. a trotting/cantering start, as opposed to the previous standing start, or the fact that racecourse ground staff seem to be unaware of the effect of rails movements, over watering, omission of hurdles/fences, false ground, harrowing, track alterations, current/previous weather conditions, current going conditions, track maintenance/re-design, and even the actual distances run in each race - considering many haven't even actually physically measured them in the last several years?

Some flat races are actually run at between 8 and 105 yards different distances to those stated on our race-cards. So where does the confidence in timings come from?

Do the published standard timings take all of these factors into account? If they do, they they have miraculous insight. If not, they're useless.
ijustlovesnickers

Last edited by ijustlovesnickers on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricardodeano

Thank you all very much for the information, most appreciated
Euler

I'm surprised that times are not split into going as well?

I've gathered a years worth of data at different course from live data, i.e. from in-play to suspended. But haven't tidied it up yet, but part of that was to look at the variability of times.
oscar123

I think the main use of standard times is to help determine what the going on a particular day is or how fast the track is riding , rather than have different standards for different sets of goings.

Though I can see how a different set of standard times for each going would be of use to a trader who is using automated strategies inplay and trying to get the timings right for when to fire/cancel bets, as there is obviously quite a bit of difference between races on fast and very soft ground, particularly over further.
ijustlovesnickers

Euler wrote:I'm surprised that times are not split into going as well?

I've gathered a years worth of data at different course from live data, i.e. from in-play to suspended. But haven't tidied it up yet, but part of that was to look at the variability of times.
Me too. but theres so many going variations I guess thats why it hasnt been done?

Is this an approach to find value runners in running?

If a standard time is 58.2 seconds (with going calcualted)
and its currently 58.1 seconds into the race and the smallest price runner is odds of 2.02.

Then that could be value?
nigelk

I'm in the process of downloading more which will include the effect of the going, class & racetype.

Will take a few days, but will post when complete.
rayhigh

Hi Nigel

Did you ever get around to completing this work?

Regards... Ray
SeaHorseRacing

I have an app programmed to collect data direct from the racingpost.

If you click on cell 1A and pres CTRL+SHIFT+L Until you see the drop down menus appear you can navigate whichever you like. Narrow down the tracks, runners, courses, and get there finishing times.

You can even narrow jump racing down to the number of fences. As a lot of races they add and remove fences. Search tracks by the goings, sexs of the winner, weight of the winner, type of race, draw number, specific handicap rating of the race... it goes on.

So if you want to know what the race finishing times were for a filly in a 1m race at Ascot on soft ground you can narrow it down.
Next time you see a nice horse... you can compare or compile your own speed ratings.

Help yourself.

If you need any dates if ive got time to send them over you can have them free of charge. I currently have from the year 2000 until February of this year.
Havent run any tests since as my focus has been trading and it takes along time for the app to webscrape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silvbird

I have a Google Doc Spreadsheet with all UK Standards from the Racing Post & Course Records (updated to when I quit the form book around Aug 2016) going back to 2010 if anybody wants.
Euler

I'm more than happy to look at any data and would welcome any contributions.
iambic_pentameter

+1

Hi Silvbird,

If possible, I'd like to take a look at the spreadsheet, please.

Many thanks.

Iambic
fil

I would be interested, too
Thanks a lot
SeaHorseRacing

If anyone can recommend a free uploading site Ill dump one of my biggest excel data sheets in there for you. The file is far too big to upload here...

Return to “Trading Horse racing”