Cheltenham 2016

The sport of kings.
andyfuller

Well that's day 2 done and dusted with.

I didn't manage to achieve the levels I did yesterday. I found the markets seemed to be a lot more volatile today compared to yesterday which doesn't suit me.

I got caught near the off on the 17:30 and halved my profit unfortunately.

Overall, another pleasing day when taken on its own but when looking at it compared to yesterday it was a bit of a disappointment for me. Though had you offered me today's result at the start of the week I would have snapped your hand off.

Onwards and upwards for the second half of the week, time for a lie down for now though - I am mentally frazzled! :shock:
andyfuller

I am finding the markets much better today than yesterday - managing to get some pretty big volumes through the markets on Betdaq.

Other than the shambles of the first race where I got caught by the start and lost a bit of my profit on the race it has been another excellent day...so far..
Euler

Total traded so far to end of day three on Betfair £83.4m

Smallest £2.2m, biggest £6.75m

Not totally sure if we will see £7m broken tomorrow on the biggest race. But I'd imagine the markets will top £100m in total fairly easily.
andyfuller

Disappointed with my effort in the Gold Cup - was going really well and had a good green that was steadily building but then just as I started to really push the stakes the market started to move a lot more and I got caught a bit and lost some of my green unfortunately.

Still a decent result but not as much as it really should have been.

I should have known really as people would be getting their position in the stands rather than placing a bet late on so market was bound to thin out.
andyfuller

The bookies must have taken an absolute hammering this week.
andrejt

andyfuller wrote:The bookies must have taken an absolute hammering this week.
Its suits them right :D
andyfuller

The Betdaq API has been utterly sh!t today.

The 16:10 became unuseable for me. So disappointing as has really spoilt today. Not knowing what orders are actually in the market or not makes trading neigh on impossible.

Shame to have ended the week on such a downer.
PeterLe

andyfuller wrote:The Betdaq API has been utterly sh!t today.
Shame to hear that Andy esp on the biggest week of the year.

I did have Betangel/betdaq runing some auto earlier but pulled the plug as it seemed to be slowing the other betangel instances down too.

Im not sure if you are in touch with any of the Betdaq folk who we met at Ascot, but worth dropping them a note to get their thoughts?
Regards
Peter
Naffman

It was really shocking on the 4:50!!
andyfuller

PeterLe wrote:Im not sure if you are in touch with any of the Betdaq folk who we met at Ascot, but worth dropping them a note to get their thoughts?
Yeah, I have been in touch with them and it is 'being investigated' but obviously that is no use to the fact that we now only have one race left and it has effected the entire day's racing.

It has been confirmed by Betdaq it is an issue not effecting all users, Peter Webb for example hasn't been effected hardly, so has been making hay I hope!

It has cost me an absolute fortune in missed profits today I am confident in saying, perhaps Peter will pop a cheque in the post to me ;)
Naffman wrote:It was really shocking on the 4:50!!
The 16:50 was an utter disgrace. I was shutting it down and re-opening it just to try and get a handle on what my position was, what orders were real, what had and hadn't been matched.

Was an utter mess.

As an example of what I had to deal with, the market was at 3.85/3.8. I put in a closing lay of a little under £300 and it shows on my ladder as an order.

The market moves down to 3.7/3.65 (my poor reading of the market, should have held out on the lay) Yet my lay order is still showing on the ladder, my position is still showing as not closed out.

So what do you do, lay again ignoring the lay order showing, and close out, but risk the original one was actually matched at 3.8?

Leave it thinking your original order was actually matched.

In the end it turned out the original order never made it to the market and I was left to close out at the more favourable 3.7

In the meantime I couldn't place any other orders and missed about 3 minutes of trading time!
PeterLe

I must admit; I havent used betdaq this week (been away for a couple of days).
Strange how some users havent been affected though? I think you have more chance of Red Rum winning the last one than Peter writing you a cheque! :D
Euler

It's shame. I cruised through the day really on Betdaq, hiccup early on but it seem to be OK from there. Decent week on Betdaq over all, but could be better.

Betfair was a struggle this week to get filled on decent orders, really struggled here. I'd often stick up a few k's and see £50 taken then the price start moving away from it. Happened all the time and was very frustrating, so lacking that giant result I usually get.
gutuami

cheltham 14:50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oscar123

I had no issues on Betdaq today either, was using BetAngel software with B.T internet if that makes any difference?

Overall had a mixed Cheltenham. Had decent profits on the first two days though was being a bit overly cautious and I felt like I should have been a bit more agressive. It certainly felt like i could have put a lot more through.

Had a bad day on the thursday. Decided to be a bit more agressive from the start and it backfired, wiped out the majority of the first two days profits. The markets seemed really volatile on the thursday and it wasnt comfortable trading with big stakes. Even the wins left me with a fast beating heart and breathing a sigh of relief rather than the feeling of a well executed trade.

Found it really difficult getting out of trades using big stakes, especially on betfair.Had lots of decent greens return neutral, and reds get even redder when trying to exit. Though it might have just been that i chose the wrong day to up stakes. I made the same mistake at Ascot last year, traded too small on the first two days when it was probably favourable to up stakes, then played too big on the third day when the markets were more volatile.

Saw lots of crazy price action on the two excahnges this year too, there were more or less arbs available at some points. I think at one point Annie Power was available to lay on Betdaq at 1.81 and back on betfair at 1.87,Full Shift yesterday was being smashed on Betdaq into around 8.2, then when i looked at the betfair screen it was drifting out to 9.4. Then the favourite in the 1650 today was being hammered on betfair whilst drifting on Betdaq. Some real strange goings on, you had to have one eye on each screen.

Was going to give it a miss today after yesterday and just watch it on the telly, though decided to trade and cut my stakes right back. Ended up having my best day of the week. Had nice profits on 6 of the 7 races and my only loss, albeit a very small one, came when i tried to up my stakes.

Was an ok week overall,definitely a lot more exciting than a normal week, though in truth i probably could have made just as much grinding away with small stakes on the day to day meetings, which i think im far happier doing.

Going to try and not get so caught up in future festivals and just treat them like any other race. Found today a lot more stress free, heartbeat has barely raised, and my best result of the day,came using the smallest stakes ive used all week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

oscar123 wrote:Found it really difficult getting out of trades using big stakes, especially on betfair.Had lots of decent greens return neutral, and reds get even redder when trying to exit.
That was my feeling as well.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”