Cheltenham 2016

The sport of kings.
PeterLe

I must admit; I havent used betdaq this week (been away for a couple of days).
Strange how some users havent been affected though? I think you have more chance of Red Rum winning the last one than Peter writing you a cheque! :D
Euler

It's shame. I cruised through the day really on Betdaq, hiccup early on but it seem to be OK from there. Decent week on Betdaq over all, but could be better.

Betfair was a struggle this week to get filled on decent orders, really struggled here. I'd often stick up a few k's and see £50 taken then the price start moving away from it. Happened all the time and was very frustrating, so lacking that giant result I usually get.
gutuami

cheltham 14:50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oscar123

I had no issues on Betdaq today either, was using BetAngel software with B.T internet if that makes any difference?

Overall had a mixed Cheltenham. Had decent profits on the first two days though was being a bit overly cautious and I felt like I should have been a bit more agressive. It certainly felt like i could have put a lot more through.

Had a bad day on the thursday. Decided to be a bit more agressive from the start and it backfired, wiped out the majority of the first two days profits. The markets seemed really volatile on the thursday and it wasnt comfortable trading with big stakes. Even the wins left me with a fast beating heart and breathing a sigh of relief rather than the feeling of a well executed trade.

Found it really difficult getting out of trades using big stakes, especially on betfair.Had lots of decent greens return neutral, and reds get even redder when trying to exit. Though it might have just been that i chose the wrong day to up stakes. I made the same mistake at Ascot last year, traded too small on the first two days when it was probably favourable to up stakes, then played too big on the third day when the markets were more volatile.

Saw lots of crazy price action on the two excahnges this year too, there were more or less arbs available at some points. I think at one point Annie Power was available to lay on Betdaq at 1.81 and back on betfair at 1.87,Full Shift yesterday was being smashed on Betdaq into around 8.2, then when i looked at the betfair screen it was drifting out to 9.4. Then the favourite in the 1650 today was being hammered on betfair whilst drifting on Betdaq. Some real strange goings on, you had to have one eye on each screen.

Was going to give it a miss today after yesterday and just watch it on the telly, though decided to trade and cut my stakes right back. Ended up having my best day of the week. Had nice profits on 6 of the 7 races and my only loss, albeit a very small one, came when i tried to up my stakes.

Was an ok week overall,definitely a lot more exciting than a normal week, though in truth i probably could have made just as much grinding away with small stakes on the day to day meetings, which i think im far happier doing.

Going to try and not get so caught up in future festivals and just treat them like any other race. Found today a lot more stress free, heartbeat has barely raised, and my best result of the day,came using the smallest stakes ive used all week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

oscar123 wrote:Found it really difficult getting out of trades using big stakes, especially on betfair.Had lots of decent greens return neutral, and reds get even redder when trying to exit.
That was my feeling as well.
andyfuller

Great write up Oscar123.

Here are my views.

My whole week was spent trading on Betdaq and I am 95% a scalper, always have been. I have been active on Betdaq most Saturdays over the last few months and a few other occasions and have now got a decent feel on how Betdaq trades and what to expect.

Therefore, despite normally being not the biggest fan of the big meetings I was really looking forward to this week. In the past when I was on Betfair I just struggled to get the volume through the markets with all the money queueing up. So like Oscar I would always have taken a Wolverhampton card over a Cheltenham card.

Though with my knowledge of Betdaq I was expecting it to be pretty good.

Day 1 was fantastic and my best day of the week. I managed to get some big volume through the markets and got some big results thanks to that. To begin with I tried to trade some of the other cards that were on but quickly decided it was pointless and I then just traded every Cheltenham race from about 30 mins out.

I had my only losing race of the week in the second race on Day 1 losing £3.13. Then the next 4 races were good.

So on to day 2 and I was really looking forward to things after day 1. It didn't pan out that way, I struggled with the volatile markets and the prices moving around and with day 1 going so well I had started to push a bit more which just didn't work. I was getting left with positions that I was struggling to exit.

It was a clean sweep of the card but I was unable to reach the Tuesday levels.

Day 3 - I got off to a slow start but got into stride on the 14:50 and 15:30 pulling in some decent results. It was another clean sweep and much closer to my performance of the first day.

Day 4 - I was beset with API issues and that really did spoil the day for me. It was a day of what could have been. I really feel I could have smashed the first day's profits but was left feeling frustrated and deflated. I didn't get to enjoy the days racing like I had the first three days as I was busy trying to fix the issues between the races.

I could see so many opportunities but I just couldn't take advantage of them and at the times I could get orders through the market I just didn't have the confidence to push the big stakes through that the market could easily have taken.

It was another clean sweep on the day and wasn't far off the totals I got on Thursday but it could have been oh so much more.

I had a heart rate monitor on the Thursday and Friday and will try and get that uploaded when I have chance as I will be interested to see what that showed. I did see at one stage I hit 111bpm at one stage on Thursday when I had my entire bank laid (my resting heart rate is 43bpm).

So overall, I found Betdaq (excluding today's issues) to be brilliant for my style of trading, I was able to get very large amounts through the markets and rarely struggled with fills. As was said by Oscar123 there were times when the price differences between the exchanges was huge especially on the gamble yesterday but also just before the off on several races.

I thoroughly enjoyed the four days and now can't wait for next year!

I just wish every day was like those volumes on Betdaq!

Here are a few screen grabs from the week on a range of different race types:
2016_03_15 - 1530.png
2016_03_17 - 1730.png
2016_03_18 - 1410.png
oscar123

Well played Andy. Shame you had api issues, i think i had one instance in the second race today where i wasnt sure if a bet had hit the market or not but otherwise everything seemed to work flawlessly.

Found it decent on Betdaq all week. Even on thursday when using the bigger stakes it was betfair giving me the most problems. Whenever i tried to exit a trade, or reduce my position the market just seemed to either grind to a halt with nothing getting matched, or start to push against me.

It just seemed so hard to get filled, where as on betdaq i was getting out at a tick, or sometimes even two ticks below the price i was offering on betfair. Yet when i scaled down, it felt like i was selling myself short and should have been pushing harder.
Euler

Betfair volume £108m vs 93m YOY

Betdaq averaged 14.8% on BF but as high as 25% in some cases. Seemed to hold up today despite the problems which seems to imply any problems were isolated today.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”