Adam Heathcote

The sport of kings.
lhackett

https://sportstradinglife.com/2011/05/b ... heathcote/

There's Adam and a few other people profiled on here - I dont know how accurate the articles are, but makes interesting reading.
Emmson

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 am
Emmson wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:52 pm
His blog has now gone for whatever reason :( but I did find his Entry & Exit point posts on the WayBack Machine .
Have you got a link? I can't find it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170620055 ... 2795037103

https://web.archive.org/web/20170620031 ... 7223639850
Euler

lhackett wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 am
https://sportstradinglife.com/2011/05/b ... heathcote/

There's Adam and a few other people profiled on here - I dont know how accurate the articles are, but makes interesting reading.
Sites like this tend to make a story out of something that isn't there and drive a bit of traffic using keywords so bear that in mind.

I taught Adam and he was just a very good trader, that's all. There was no mystery about what happened to him either, Betfair slapped on a 60% charge, so he followed his long-term passion for creating a business centred around well being & travel.

Really nice chap and an excellent trader. Adam got loads of stick for being successful and probably felt it was time to park that bit of his life to make sure it doesn't detract from his current business.
xitian

Peter, when you say you taught Adam was that just a case of him going to one of your classes, and that was it? Or did you give him more in depth personal mentoring?

Do you feel that Adam would have been equally as successful at trading if he did not have the lessons just because he is naturally talented, or would he have said that your teaching was crucial for getting him where he got? Or perhaps it was just a case of accelerating his journey rather than changing the resulting destination?

I was surprised that Adam didn't move more into automation because he had the computer science background. He could potentially be earning a lot more than he did back then, but also have the freedom of time to work on other things.
Emmson

Interesting how Adam places importance on Book % while Euler does not.

https://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/2011/10/13/book/
From a trading perspective the book% doesn’t hold much value for me as it is a re-active measure.
jimibt

Emmson wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:13 pm

https://www.betangel.com/blog_wp/2011/10/13/book/
From a trading perspective the book% doesn’t hold much value for me as it is a re-active measure.
i think it's quite possible that we are referring to two different *book%*'s here:

1. The book factored % age of a runner inside a theoretical 100%, thus apportioning all runners an interdependent slice of the cake
2. The book% on an individual runner as a measure of it's back/lay price in relation to the total market

I prefer to see the market in terms of the former (point #1) as it allows you to gauge inter-related moves across the market. of course, there are other metrics that overlay this simplistic number (vwap, volume% etc), but as a whole, it constrains the market view far better (imho)
Euler

xitian wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:57 pm
Peter, when you say you taught Adam was that just a case of him going to one of your classes, and that was it? Or did you give him more in depth personal mentoring?
I'd never take (full) credit for somebodies trading ability, as showing or telling people what to do and people actually doing it are two different things. So while I gave Adam the ropes he harnessed them. I think he benefited from being young and having never traded as he got it immediately. Whereas a lot of people get fogged up with knowledge and struggle to interpret new information.
Euler

Emmson wrote:
Book % has become much less relevant with XM and it's various varients.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm
Emmson wrote:
You are always full of wonderful soundbites Peter, but that is one of the most insightful things you could have said in just one sentence.

I used to watch book % avidly, so am acutely aware of any changes.

You're absolutely correct Sir, XM seems to have nullified the importance or relevance that book % figures had previously, as it's very difficult to predict what is happening across a number of differing markets
Emmson

Euler wrote:
Emmson wrote:
I take that on board and after watching many recordings of last 10 mins of racing markets I can't find anything significant in what the book % is doing but more than one contributor to this thread seem to make out it's absolutely crucial, almost the holy grail.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8541&hilit=jollygreen+wom&start=30
Last edited by Emmson on Tue May 01, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

This Adam story is pretty long in the tooth now. The strangest thing though is that there isn't a sequal, where's the new Adam??
Looking at the ability bell curve, there certainly seems to be enough on the left hand side, but the right hand side is a bit thin.

Peter's right in that the less baggage you arrive with then better. But where do you find young blood who are interested in gambling/trading, but at the same time haven't fallen into bad habits or been disillusioned and bankrupted by the ripoff bookies? I think Harry Findlay hit the nail on the head in his interview at the Matchbook conference, kids just don't have the opportunity to be exposed to the idea that gambling/trading can be a viable proposition. If they do have a gamble, they don't even get the chance to learn from the old fellas at the bookies/racecourse/dog track because the world's gone online.

What we're left with is a group of predominantly middle aged men, who have invariably had a lifetime of either being fanatical about the actual sport and/or a lifetime of reinforcing unfortunate psychological biases. Neither great springboards to success. That's an assumption rather than a known thing, but I'd guess Peter doesn't have many young, bright, blank canvasses, (with the requisite stable homelife, financial resourses etc etc) walking through the door.

The BetAngel Academy needs a youth development program :)
If Jamie Oliver can revolutionise school dinners, perhaps Peter can revolutionise maths lessons and show kids how to make a bob or two.
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm
The strangest thing though is that there isn't a sequal, where's the new Adam??
I don't know much about Poker, but would a comparison to Chris Moneymaker be a valid one? Moneymaker revolutionised poker, by making Tom, Dick & Harry think "that could be me". Heathcote did the same (ish).

However

As far as I'm aware there will never be another "Moneymaker", because Poker has inherently changed (become far more difficult etc). Similarly, with Heathcote, I'm sure he was much more of a scalper, than a swinger (1, 2, 3 ticks) - & JollyGreen who actively worked alongside Adam - now despises the technique. Why would Dave despise the technique after working with some of the greatest scalpers of all time?
Korattt

“where's the new Adam??”

.. I’m working on it
Last edited by Korattt on Tue May 01, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruthlessimon

Something happened to the quoting there ;)
to75ne

Emmson wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 pm
Euler wrote:
Emmson wrote:
I take that on board and after watching many recordings of last 10 mins of racing markets I can't find anything significant in what the book % is doing but more than one contributor to this thread seem to make out it's absolutely crucial, almost the holy grail.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8541&hilit=jollygreen+wom&start=30
that page and extract are from 2013, way before XM.

there was always 2 camps as regards to book% and its application and effectiveness.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”