Faster Pics Anyone?

The sport of kings.
andyrich666

I live in Spain (where generally all Satellite is free to a point) I can assure you there are people that have SIS pictures, none of these are in HD so i assume that it is pretty easy, I guess you would just use the same decryption they use for Sky SD

I have also noticed some places have William Hill TV
HorseRacer

Thanks Andyrich

A little update. 98lewisj never got back to my PM but another forum user did get a response from him and kindly forwarded it to me.

With a lot of searching however I may have found an alternative way to get faster pics without having to go down the route of satellite dishes.

I'm going to trial a streaming service this week who say they can deliver faster pics via internet stream. I'm optimistic as this will be far less hassle and overhead. I'll report back if the stream is indeed quicker and if so by what margin.

Cheers
fr33m4n

It would be extremely helpful to get live fast pictures from the races. I'm testing some new "In-Play" strategies, and definitely interested in this kind of service.

I live in Brazil, so i can't have a RUK account unfortunately. :cry:
aperson

Been playing around with this today, (got a new monitor so finally have the screen space to stream events while trading). 365 has the fastest streams for me, faster than both BF and BD, and faster than any other bookmaker I tried although I didn't try them all.However RUK is faster than any of the streams.

Also noticed 365 now offer betting in-play on horses. I didn't realise any bookmaker offered this. I don't know how they price up an entire race in real time. I presume they must link it to an exchange price and add in a huge margin to protect themselves. They also closed the market in the last few furlongs.
fr33m4n

Wait a second... I just found that RUK offers a International Subscription. Is that correct? Too good to be true?

I didn't complete the registration, but I think this is for members who lives outside U.K.?

What's the picture quality compared to others streams?

Man, i'm really lost here! :oops:
ShaunWhite

I rate the picture quality a 'good enough'. But then again I only use it up until the start of the race. Standard SD and at a good framerate (25fps+). All pictures come from the same RaceTech TV crew so a bad day on one is a bad day on all (weather etc). Delay varies but usually only about 2s behind live...given what's happening to get it from there I find it quite impressive really.
fr33m4n

ShaunWhite wrote:I rate the picture quality a 'good enough'. But then again I only use it up until the start of the race. Standard SD and at a good framerate (25fps+). All pictures come from the same RaceTech TV crew so a bad day on one is a bad day on all (weather etc). Delay varies but usually only about 2s behind live...given what's happening to get it from there I find it quite impressive really.
Thanks for the reply.

I usually trade on football matches with 4s-8s delay, so 2s seems to be fantastic. The main problem with BF streams is the size and the quality of the streams.

I work with two 25' screens plus the the 15' MacBook screen. I thought that when using the RUK streams, I was able at least, run it in full screen during in play in one of my Monitors.

I will try the service for one month, to see if it suits my new in-play strategies.
bennyboy351

If I can send an email to The USA in under 1 second - and receive a reply just as quickly - why can't I get TRULY live pictures from such as Doncaster? I smell a Betfair rat.......
fr33m4n

bennyboy351 wrote:If I can send an email to The USA in under 1 second - and receive a reply just as quickly - why can't I get TRULY live pictures from such as Doncaster? I smell a Betfair rat.......
I think that's because of the video codecs(Flash?)! I saw that RUK offers live pictures in HD too, but not all the races. That's definitely good stuff
ShaunWhite

bennyboy351 wrote:If I can send an email to The USA in under 1 second - and receive a reply just as quickly - why can't I get TRULY live pictures from such as Doncaster? I smell a Betfair rat.......
You're kidding right ?
An email is about 1k of data and live streaming is orders of magnitude more data and infinately more complex.

The stream delay includes; transmission from the camera to the OB van, audio mixing and encoding for retransmission, satellite transmission to RaceTech HQ, overlaying with graphics and odds etc, rescaling for each streaming service BF, BD, RUK, C4 including flash encoding, out through dozens of switching routers and DA converters where it's moving from fibre to copper, more switching and packet size changes on the RacingUK servers, account validation, branding overlays, more transmission to your local exchange, more repackaging and data throttling, finally arrives at your pc, then flash decoding, more rescaling then it's displayed. 921,600 pixels, every 40 milliseconds. It's far from trivial.

Where have you ever seen 'live' pictures anywhere anyway? They don't exist.
A 2 second delay for a budget service is truely incredible.
HorseRacer

Well I'm a little further on now in my "investigations".

I sampled the latency of the pics that are on offer via streaming just over a week ago and this weekend I started using the service. Pics are for ATR meetings, there doesn't seem to be anything for All Weather.

Certainly the fastest pics I've seen, so I'm not sure how these compare to the feeds I often hear people referring to on forums but they're ahead of BF so I guess that's an improvement.

Too early to say how much benefit this will provide but I'll see how it goes these next few weeks and reassess. :D
98lewisj

Can you PM me the name of the service? wouldn't mind checking it out for when i'm traveling next year, thanks.
fr33m4n

98lewisj wrote:Can you PM me the name of the service? wouldn't mind checking it out for when i'm traveling next year, thanks.
Please, if it's possible I would like to know the service too.

Thanks!!!:-)
Laugro1968

Hi Horseracer,

I'm interested in too, if you don't mind sharing or pm.

Thank you,

Laugro
bennyboy351

ShaunWhite wrote:

Where have you ever seen 'live' pictures anywhere anyway? They don't exist.
A 2 second delay for a budget service is truely incredible.
LOL I bet you won't say that the next time you get 'zapped' by a 5 second delay inplay! :D But I DO get your point. :D

Return to “Trading Horse racing”