Offset Bet Matching Nonsense

The sport of kings.
Spike

Hi Dallas,

Many thanks for all you posts and free automation files they are much appreciated!

A quick question regarding this thread if I may?

Option 3 offset bet after a match with a stop

I cant seem to locate this option on my automation.
I am using server edition v1.47.0 am I missing something ?

Thanks
Spike
xtrader16

It is true that this is possibly a terminology issue. But broken down to its simplest form Fill/Kill should only ever be used on any software when your intention is to place a bet into the market and if it doesnt FILL (either partially or fully) within the pre-defined timeset the remaining funds are KILLED. Thats it. On BA it also prevents your OFFSET from being placed prior to your initial trade/bet being matched but unless you sit there reading the manual you would have no idea that this was the case. Never one to set the Cat amost the pigeons I also have noticed that there is no automatic (single option) Stop Loss in Global Settings, this must be done manually. Very Odd. Why cant I place a £100 Back bet with a 5 tick offset Stop Loss (hedged or not) @ 5.0 without right clicking the mouse @ 5.5 ?

Some people seem to have taken offense to suggestions that the set up is wrong. Its never my intention to piss people off but it is clear that the FILL/KILL over steps its role to me. Sorry. Ive used BA for around 6-7 years and it offers by far the best software experience/product on the market. It is light years ahead of everything else but from time to time users should be allowed to provide feedback which could tweek it here and there.
Anbell

Is it bad form to reply to threads that are 3 years old? If so, apologies. (It seems to make sense to keep the context, if relevant?)

But I agree with the 'ranters' here. The idea that you have to FoK for a 'proper' offset bet is still so weird. (Maybe its a legacy issue )

I was investigating today why an Automation was misbehaving and this was the issue. (I normally use FOK so havent come across this before)

My questions:
1. Is the recommendation that those of us that dont want FoK, that we tick FoK and set it for a long time?
2. What is the transmission mechanism from BF to BA that triggers 'This bet has been taken. It's time to place the offset bet.'? (Or more simply, what is the time lag between the two events?)

THanks
Dallas

Anbell wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 am
Is it bad form to reply to threads that are 3 years old? If so, apologies. (It seems to make sense to keep the context, if relevant?)

But I agree with the 'ranters' here. The idea that you have to FoK for a 'proper' offset bet is still so weird. (Maybe its a legacy issue )

I was investigating today why an Automation was misbehaving and this was the issue. (I normally use FOK so havent come across this before)

My questions:
1. Is the recommendation that those of us that dont want FoK, that we tick FoK and set it for a long time?
2. What is the transmission mechanism from BF to BA that triggers 'This bet has been taken. It's time to place the offset bet.'? (Or more simply, what is the time lag between the two events?)

THanks
1, Yes, you can just use a load of 9999999s as your time
2, As soon as the market is refreshed and the status the bet is matched/begun to be matched is recieved from BF the offset will be triggered. So the faster the refresh the faster the offset will trigger
Anbell

TYVM

Again.
Crazyskier

I have to chip in my tuppence worth here (sorry!)

'Offsetting' by definition should NEVER, EVER have the second part of the bet submitted into the market until the first part is matched either fully, or in batches (if that option selected).

You can call this semantics, Peter and Dallas, however insisting that a fill/kill is used to ensure that offsetting works as it should by default is simply a workaround; and this, coupled with the in-play green up bug where liability can increase (see other lengthy thread on this issue peculiar to BetAngel) mean that I too, like Megarain and others, feel forced to use alternate (otherwise inferior) software to carry the weight of the bulk of our trading.

CS
speedyhamster

How easy or difficult would it be to add an option in settings for offset betting as instant or when matched to keep both ways happy?
i know the kill or fill does this but if it helps with confusion
Dallas

speedyhamster wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:28 pm
How easy or difficult would it be to add an option in settings for offset betting as instant or when matched to keep both ways happy?
Thats how it is already, there are actually 3 options
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11817
speedyhamster

Dallas wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:30 pm
speedyhamster wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:28 pm
Thats how it is already, there are actually 3 options
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11817
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 am

'Offsetting' by definition should NEVER, EVER have the second part of the bet submitted into the market until the first part is matched either fully, or in batches (if that option selected).

You can call this semantics, Peter and Dallas, however insisting that a fill/kill is used to ensure that offsetting works as it should by default is simply a workaround; and this, coupled with the in-play green up bug where liability can increase (see other lengthy thread on this issue peculiar to BetAngel) mean that I too, like Megarain and others, feel forced to use alternate (otherwise inferior) software to carry the weight of the bulk of our trading.

CS
Thanks but i am talking about an option similar to Staking interface on the staking tab in settings that changes the software (price based staking or legacy) so users that are expecting an offset bet to wait to be matched before can use the software the way they want , and others who are fine with BetAngel as it is can continue to do so. Could add a Matched tick box that does not have a time limit on and use the fill or kill tick box to add that time limit in. (might make it less confusing when switching from other software)
speedyhamster

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 am

CS
Use the global settings editor and call it offset Bets and Tick place full or kill bets, in the Acton pull down box select offset bet and in the seconds delay fill with 9999999 set the odds display to how you have the ladder.
can also make one called Make Market offset and do not tick the place fill or kill bets box.
this will help with manual trading
MAGTRADEUK

I came here from using another type of software and was somewhat shocked and surprised to see my lay be being matched before my back bet when it was the back side I placed first. Not what I was expecting, I suppose I too will now have to use my old software if I want to place that type of trade, with the other software I used this seem to work as expected. So I am a bit confused as too how this is an issue and does not operate the same as other vendors software when offset trading.
firlandsfarm

MAGTRADEUK wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:04 pm
I came here from using another type of software and was somewhat shocked and surprised to see my lay be being matched before my back bet when it was the back side I placed first. Not what I was expecting, I suppose I too will now have to use my old software if I want to place that type of trade, with the other software I used this seem to work as expected. So I am a bit confused as too how this is an issue and does not operate the same as other vendors software when offset trading.
Hi MAGTRADE … not all software works the same not one way is right and neither wrong so long as they can both achieve the required end result. If I'm right in thinking you want to place a bet (lay bet in this instance) and don't want to 'oppose' it (back in this instance) until the lay is filled then you just simply include a "fill or kill" requirement. That way the opposing bet is not placed until the initial bet is filled although you can ask for the initial bet to be opposed in tranches as it is taken up if you want. I guess on advantage this facility offers is that you can play it either way … the way you saw it working or the way you want it to work. :) BA does have what some (including me) see as 'peculiarities" but they are usually there for a reason and there is usually a way to achieve what you want but I agree that can sometimes be a little frustrating. :)
Tuco

I think he was wanting his back bet to be matched (perhaps in full) before his lay bet was fired into the market - of course we don't know what settings he had but clearly he didn't use the place/fill/kill option properly and/or the offset batches option or perhaps he didn't have the global setting button checked? Everything is possible once you know how to make the best of the software, so as all things in life, best to put it down to experience and consider the cost an investment of your future success ;)
Euler

MAGTRADEUK wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:04 pm
So I am a bit confused as too how this is an issue and does not operate the same as other vendors software when offset trading.
We implemented it first so when others copied the introduced other characteristics to it, not the other way around. It's possible to get Bet Angel to do pretty much anything, so just ask.
Tuco

Euler wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:53 pm
It's possible to get Bet Angel to do pretty much anything, so just ask.
...correct! :)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”