How true is the famous saying 'you never meet a poor bookmaker'?

The sport of kings.
Euler

"Our big days are still as good as ever," says O'Gorman. "But whereas we used to make a living midweek, nowadays we don't. I struggle midweek."

In fact, turnover can be so poor that a few years ago bookmakers, during the coldest, quietest period between December and February, were given an attendance allowance to bet at Lingfield all-weather meetings to ensure there were never fewer than three layers and a starting price could be returned.

On a long-term basis, a bookmaker cannot realistically expect for more than 12 per cent of their turnover to be profit. With expenses for an average midweek meeting often eclipsing £300, a layer must take over £2500 in bets from the sparse crowd just to cover expenses – assuming results go their way.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/in-dept ... ker/299807
LeTiss

Interesting read. I had a bookmakers permit in the 90's - I had to go to Lyndhurst Magistrates and give my reasons for wanting one. I can't remember what it cost, but it was nominal and I renewed it for £20
megarain

I knew 2 bookies who committed suicide, due to the game.

If anyone says its easy, they are wrong.
THENUTS

Looks to be going the same way as open outcry on the floor of stock exchanges.
More and more people will begin to understand the overound and poor value of the oncourse bookies.
ANGELS15

I dont't know if it's just my perception but in nearly 30 years of betting I've never known so many favourites and second favourites win as in recent years.
LeTiss

megarain wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 pm
I knew 2 bookies who committed suicide, due to the game.

If anyone says its easy, they are wrong.
That's shocking :shock:
Halliday

ANGELS15 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:56 pm
I dont't know if it's just my perception but in nearly 30 years of betting I've never known so many favourites and second favourites win as in recent years.
Stats for fav/2nd fav courtesy of Adrian Massey.com... slightly higher strike rate in the nineties,but so much more racing there days.

2016 stats are on the site but i missed them off !!
and you can break them down by any criteria you want
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brunty122

Crazy how close those percentages are over the years!
Dublin_Flyer

Figures from Horseracebase reconcile almost exactly with Adrian Masseys, at a guess the difference is due to photo finish/void race/disqualification kinda thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ANGELS15

That's interesting on the stats it would be interesting to see stats for 2013 to present.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”