Wind Ops

The sport of kings.
SeaHorseRacing

My actual view of wind ops is that they should be banned full stop and I think they will eventually.

If a horse needs wind surgery they should be deemed a risk and retired.
ShaunWhite

That's interesting coming from someone with the extensive experience of horses & yards that you have. I'm reassured that my instinctive outsider's reaction is similar to someone with first hand knowledge of what's involved and the potential consequences. I'm originally a 'country boy' myself so I'm not squeemish about what sometimes needs to be done with animals sometimes, but I'm very uncomforatable about what's done for entertainment.
SeaHorseRacing

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm
That's interesting coming from someone with the extensive experience of horses & yards that you have. I'm reassured that my instinctive outsider's reaction is similar to someone with first hand knowledge of what's involved and the potential consequences. I'm originally a 'country boy' myself so I'm not squeemish about what sometimes needs to be done with animals sometimes, but I'm very uncomforatable about what's done for entertainment.
I would never recommend for you to walk around a big flat yard this time of year. Gelding Ops are ripe this time of year.

Without sounding too incesintive. It is literally, open stable door, Vet dopes them, cuts them open, stack there stable full of straw and tie them up.
What annoys me is they dont even clean them up.
For the stable lads that have to care for them its actually quite unpleasant. The blood left dripping down the back of the legs and in the stable is enough to make most people pass out.

The big racing yards are having 4/5 gelded daily this time of year.

The whole process of all Equine surgery is not what you would think... horse being loaded into a van to a nice equine hospital etc... doesn't happen.

It is litrally, tie them up and carryout procedure in their own stable. The one thing I dont like about racing is this part.
SeaHorseRacing

Please only watch if your not squeamish!!

For anyone who is interested this is pretty much how a gelding procedure is carried out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYCGCjTKA0E

Imo the whole process has no dignity or empathy towards horses.

So you can imagine a similar process for a wind op... just to get an improvement for a run...
ShaunWhite

mmm I think I'l swerve that one.
I'll wait until they show it as a feature on ITV's Saturday racing show or on the Jumbotron on family day.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”