At The Races latency - Satellite v Streaming

The sport of kings.
Wolf1877

Hi all. I'm considering options for At The Races TV, via online monthly subscription streaming or via Sky satellite subscription but on a longer term contract. I'd assume that satellite feeds tend to have a relatively fixed delay (i.e. the time it takes to beam it up to the satellite and down again) while internet streaming will be more variable due to network latency which can vary due to many factors.

For you guys who use At The Races online and/or via satellite can you give any guidelines on how much of a delay you typically tend to experience. Also is ATR slower than other TV streaming feeds available?
iambic_pentameter

Morning Wolf

Based on an interview I saw with an in running trader on YouTube recently, ATR has the worst delay - you certainly wouldn't to be attempting in running with it.

Iambic
Wolf1877

Thanks iambic. I'm not particularly looking at seriously using it for in-play trading but faster is always better. Even if I used it for pre-off start time estimation it would be unhelpful if it was more than 10 seconds out. I often watch Sky football via Now TV and it is usually about 30 seconds to a minute out and I was wondering if live ATR streaming was similar and if the satellite version is significantly faster in which case maybe it is time to bite the bullet and resubscribe.

The ATR app is free and today I've been watching some action from yesterday and mapping it to in-play odds data I captured yesterday. The time they display on screen from the live recording is pretty useful in matching the odds data to the actual race progress but obviously that is only useful for retrospective analysis.
ShaunWhite

For me roughly. ..
ATR streamed about 17s delay.
RUK streamed about 4s.
BF TV about 1.5s delay.
Wolf1877

....thanks for the info Shaun.
ShaunWhite

No probs. I heard on here the other day that RUK was faster via Sky... But I don't have it to confirm.
Bluesky

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:48 pm
No probs. I heard on here the other day that RUK was faster via Sky... But I don't have it to confirm.
For probably at least the last month maybe a bit longer, RUK (via Sat) has been between 1 second or so quicker to 1 second or so slower than BF going in play. ATR on the other hand is typically 6 to 7 seconds slower than BF going in play. You have to be careful when using ATR to judge the time of the off, it is very easy to go in play thinking you have a few more seconds to get out of the trade and in reality the horses are already flying down the course.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”