Removal of 1 second inplay delay for inrunning horse bets

The sport of kings.
ShaunWhite

If anyone thinks a delay is beneficial then they could always go back to 2400baud internet. Somehow I suspect they won't.
3virgul14

May I ask all of you why you have never asked about different inrunning delays in football tennis or cricket?

Isit any different that a horse falls down or a goal scored in a football market? Both cases some odds rocket to 1000 and some other come in?
Derek27

I think the purpose or part of the purpose of the delay is to make it a more level playing field and give you an opportunity to cancel your bets if things change in a split second.
Simonlofc

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm
I think the purpose or part of the purpose of the delay is to make it a more level playing field and give you an opportunity to cancel your bets if things change in a split second.
is that right though? you press place a bet and in that sec before it hits the market you cant cancel it can you? i know if a horse falls when you were trying to back it at 5.0 you get 1000 on it when the bet hits the market, not sure that cheers me up much lol but in that 1 sec you cant do anything can you? in football the game may suspend and your bet saved but in racing you dont get that i dont think
BetScalper

This is great news as one of my systems places bets in gaps when LTP > LAY PRICE + 20 TICKS which corresponds to backers pulling their money out of the market.
Derek27

Simonlofc wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 pm
is that right though? you press place a bet and in that sec before it hits the market you cant cancel it can you? i know if a horse falls when you were trying to back it at 5.0 you get 1000 on it when the bet hits the market, not sure that cheers me up much lol but in that 1 sec you cant do anything can you? in football the game may suspend and your bet saved but in racing you dont get that i dont think
I know you can't cancel a bet during a delay but if I remember correctly (it's been a long time since I placed bets IR) once your bet is in the market you can cancel it instantly, so you have an advantage over anyone who wants to take the bet.
Wolf1877

Is it really only 1 second at the moment? I thought it was longer. Amazing how a second can seem like an absolute eternity when trading manually inplay!
For me this is hugely helpful as I am currently in the process of analyzing data to figure out develop my inplay bots.

The downside for me is that existing data already captured will be less valid for predicting future markets on the new rules as the markets will not be working the same.
For people with existing profitable bots it could affect profitability too, either positively or negatively. SHould be possible to recycle more backs and lays in the volatile periods of a race.
Derek27

I believe the length of delay varies depending on the sport.
Wolf1877

PeterLe wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm
Edit: Just found this link online..http://community.betfair.com/horse_raci ... -bet-delay
bring it on!!! :-)
Hi Peter,

Any chance you can share what that post says please?
Apparently that community forum is by invitation only after 6 to 9 months of trading.

Basically I want to know if there is any info on actual start dates, is it a trial period only etc.
Wolf1877

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 pm
I believe the length of delay varies depending on the sport.
Yes I know the football is about 8 seconds or so. Not sure about other sports.
But for Racing I thought I'd read somewhere it was 3 seconds and I hadnt actually bothered timing it (schoolboy error) - not even sure where I got the 3 seconds from - old information possibly. A 1 second delay makes things a hell of a lot more straightforward than a 3 second delay and no delay at all should make things simpler still. A possible downside is that dumb reactive bots running on on a high power low latency servers may now be able to outperform more intelligent predictive bots that had previously maybe had a better edge even if running on inferior hardware due to the second delay.
napshnap

More chaotic markets will scare away newcomers = less liquidity. Guaranteed fckup for place market traders/bettors when faller occurs. Will be easier for some to cover their shame in a muddy water. Markets will lose their rhythm. Bad decision.
Agree with Euler that they better abandon their crippled golden goose crossmatcher, but this will never happen, they do nothing for exchange community, even this 1sec removal is for their sports section.
Wolf1877

napshnap wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am
More chaotic markets will scare away newcomers = less liquidity. Guaranteed fckup for place market traders/bettors when faller occurs. Will be easier for some to cover their shame in a muddy water. Markets will lose their rhythm. Bad decision.
Agree with Euler that they better abandon their crippled golden goose crossmatcher, but this will never happen, they do nothing for exchange community, even this 1sec removal is for their sports section.
I'd actually expect inplay racing markets to be less chaotic during the the most irrationally high volatility periods. Bots will very likely respond faster to reduce the excessive volatility. Of course the high volatility is what traders are profiting from so not necessarily good news for traders. It will take quite a while to see what the full effects of a such a change will be. There will be an immediate change when the delay is reduced/removed and a more gradual change as traders bots are adapted to deal with the new reality.
xtrader16

The removal of the 1 second delay (which is actally a 2-3 second delay, i have video evidence to prove it) can only be a good thing. Why should there be a delay of 1-3 seconds on IR but not pre race?

The delay we will still experience will still come from live TV pictures. Giving track based punters a big edge over everybody as they do now. The thing is, I suspect there are people out there who have access to software or trading accounts that this present delay doesn't apply to. A secret group of people who have special access and they are raking it in. Why else does the market move before or at exactly the same time horses get in trouble? I have clear evidence that the delay via Bet Angel in processing IR trades is 2-3 seconds and not the 1 second as advertised.
napshnap

xtrader16

It doesn't make sense, if this group even exists, it can't exist without bf notice, and they will have an advantage anyway, with 1sec delay or not.
Dallas

xtrader16 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am
The removal of the 1 second delay (which is actally a 2-3 second delay, i have video evidence to prove it) can only be a good thing. Why should there be a delay of 1-3 seconds on IR but not pre race?

The delay we will still experience will still come from live TV pictures. Giving track based punters a big edge over everybody as they do now. The thing is, I suspect there are people out there who have access to software or trading accounts that this present delay doesn't apply to. A secret group of people who have special access and they are raking it in. Why else does the market move before or at exactly the same time horses get in trouble? I have clear evidence that the delay via Bet Angel in processing IR trades is 2-3 seconds and not the 1 second as advertised.
Its the on-track traders that are ahead of you and by however long your picture delay is. I wouldn't attempt to try and manually trade against them in-play, automation is of course different as its reacting to prices, not pictures but it will always be more advantageous to those on course

The IR delay on racing is 1 second (2 if using stakes below the £2 min on BA) - its the same for everyone even if placing bets directly on BF
If your getting 3 or more can you post a link to the video?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”