How mnay people use LTP Matchstick charting for pre off horse racing markets

The sport of kings.

Do you use matchstick charting when trading pre off horse racing markets?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 37
RonObvious

Hi,

I'm just curious about how many people use the matchstick charting?

I find it useful for pre off horse racing especially in markets with a lot of runners. I find the market overview can get very muddled when there are 4-5 runners at or around the same price and it can be hard to pick a single runner out of that. However I get the feeling there is a bit of 'snobbery' from some more experienced traders towards using them.

So thought I'd start a poll just out of curiousity to see if this kind of charting is used by the majority or the minority.

Thanks for taking part. :)
to75ne

they just tick up/down price changes (they contain no intrinsic or inferred information), thats it, they tick up or down.

the traffic lights do much the same and dont take up any room or add to clutter.

a simple line chart is much more helpful and contains alot of more info.
northbound

I used matchsticks at the beginning, but don't anymore.

I find more relevant to observe recent traded volume, and to see the Last Traded Amount flash on the ladder, as it gives me an idea of the flow and SIZE of orders.
neld0r

i used it at the beginning (easier to read than line charts) but switched to candlesticks. very similar to matchsticks but has more information (low, high, open, close).
Emmson

I feel they are essential but I may experiment with them turned off to see if that is so.

Euler is a huge sceptic about the matchsticks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnQvP2ytzN8&t=36s
I've always traded off volume as it's more important how much has been traded rather than where something has traded. Price without volume is like a burger without fries
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10411&start=50
to75ne

being extremly cynical about these things (i believe they are truely useless). what do they tell you? what information do they contain? do they predict or help predict anything such as price moves/what side of the book the volume is or not? do they tell you anything other than the price ticked up or down, for the last few price changes. what is the point of them?
Korattt

I used to use them as I convinced myself that they were of use, but now I don’t, I used to use them to ‘confirm’ where a floor or a ceiling formed but now for me they’re not necessary, I can understand why people do use them though
Euler

I have never used them and it's all because they just plot the LTP and not the volume associated with it. So they paint a false picture of the market. If you use the 60 second volume, you get a very good view of where the money is or isn't going and you don't need to take up much screen space to do it. Of course, if you find them useful then you should use them.
RonObvious

Thanks for your feedback guys, lots of ffod for though especially the 60 second volume, not something I'd considered.
Dallas

RonObvious wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:58 pm
Thanks for your feedback guys, lots of ffod for though especially the 60 second volume, not something I'd considered.
I don't use LTP matchsticks and rarely use charts except maybe the mkt overview one.
For me its the traded volume columns and especially the recent volume that is most important
Emmson

Emmson wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 am
I feel they are essential but I may experiment with them turned off to see if that is so.

Euler is a huge sceptic about the matchsticks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnQvP2ytzN8&t=36s
I've always traded off volume as it's more important how much has been traded rather than where something has traded. Price without volume is like a burger without fries
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10411&start=50
This is still so for me, I simply can't trade without matchsticks. Something in my brain needs matchsticks tried them without and I don't like it.
tadasbel

I use it but only to look at volatility. I guess more experienced can see without matchsticks anyway.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”