My trading journey so far (I'd love to hear yours too)

The sport of kings.
stueytrader

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:33 pm
stueytrader wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:56 pm
see some mention that boredom happens even in steady wins.
You get steady wages in a 9 til 5 but it doesn't stop you getting bored. Trading isn't a magical fairyland of happiness, it's just a job like any other. Good days and dull ones.
Very true Shaun. Perhaps something that is easy to forget though. I think many come to trading as a professional ideal in a sense that it will make them 'happy', or free from the grind of work etc. All wrong of course, as you say.
ShaunWhite

The positive thing about trading if you're into sport is that it's almost all actual trading and research. It's not like other hobby-to-job type businesses that grind you down by doing accounts and marketing and paperwork and regulations and customer relations etc etc, all taking you away from the very thing you wanted to do.

I had good jobs from 18 until about 45 (great money nice offices blah blah blah) but I'd get bored and complacent, so every 4 years I'd take year out to do a 'proper' blue collar job. I did motorbike couriering, worked on a building site, gardening, wood turning (had been a hobby), plastering and one or two ify others. But not long enough away to be forgotten or get back in, often higher up. 'Travelling' seemed to be an acceptable reason for gaps so it never went on my CV and I kept quiet about it. Too many snotty judgemental people. It really really REALLY makes you appreciate when things are good, but it would wear off and I'd start the cycle again.

8yrs ago I decided I was done with the city and messed about doing various things for about 6yrs before starting trading seriously about 18mths ago (I've dabbled with BF since about 2001) Not just being handed a wage is enough reason to stay motivated these days and I know a good thing, I'm very happy thank you very much to be able to work in my slippers with the dog nearby. I don't get that bored really.
spreadbetting

Cards37 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:17 pm

This might be an exceedingly dumb question, but are there any online resources/books etc on "how to form markets". It seems like a black art that bookmakers are wonderful at keeping to themselves. While I appreciate advanced models arent going to be out there, surely conceptually the material must have a common base that is freely available?

There's a book called the Art of Legging.
Cards37

Thanks, I shall look into that!
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:32 am
There's a book called the Art of Legging.
Mind which one you get, 'Legging' is the name of the technique for getting a barge through a tunnel. Either that or you'll end up with a pair of super snug trousers.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”