Get back on the horse?

The sport of kings.
brimson25

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm
mcgoo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am
mushin ;)
I lost $25 last night on tennis..same..that is a very big loss for me...bots ran overnight...recovered $17...maybe I should just automate lol. Anyway, point being I try take each day/night/moment at a time. Check back over a month /week and see how you have gone. Obviously I can't give advice compared to the other gurus on here but I think: if you love it chin up mate.Grit! Good luck
I'm way up for the month, even the week. But I am uniquely gifted at seeing the worst in any situation.
And I'm very envious over people who have there heads round bots!
Korattt

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Korattt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 pm
sometimes I go a week without turning the PC on due to various reasons, (partly down to the arse of a next door neighbour), I know how I tick, if I get annoyed at something that I haven't any control over it sits with me.. sometimes for days, you need to be fully self aware of what you're doing etc, of the task in hand, if the attention is elsewhere then you're doomed
I can completely relate to neighbour trouble. My council has built a layby ACROSS my drive. Understandably, that means my neighbours park there, blocking me in... confusion not caused by them but it's hard to be zen after the 100th time...
eh?, seriously?, couldn't you have objected?
Korattt

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm
mcgoo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am
mushin ;)
I lost $25 last night on tennis..same..that is a very big loss for me...bots ran overnight...recovered $17...maybe I should just automate lol. Anyway, point being I try take each day/night/moment at a time. Check back over a month /week and see how you have gone. Obviously I can't give advice compared to the other gurus on here but I think: if you love it chin up mate.Grit! Good luck
I'm way up for the month, even the week. But I am uniquely gifted at seeing the worst in any situation.
me too, I'd pay good money, (seriously) to sit with a day with Dallas & get some off the ground
spreadbetting

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm
I dropped a 4 figure sum earlier in the week on a race and I've been trading f/t for over 10 years. You're never immune from your own stupidity or mistakes :(
Jesus. May I ask if you know why? Or was it just one of those things?
Just complacency really , didn't close a trade as I was busy with other things. Years ago it would have pissed me off for days but I'm a bit more zen nowadays and pretty much forgotten about it after a couple of races. The trick is not to let it get to you as stress will soon burn you out doing this day in day out. Trying to recover losses quicker than normal will just lead to chasing as that always costs you bigtime in the long run so you've no real option other than let it go especially if you're aware of why it occured.

You'll never be able to do everything pefectly so you need to accept your own failings and make sure your 'edge' is big enough to cover your cock-ups and also give you decent profits.
brimson25

Korattt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Korattt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 pm
sometimes I go a week without turning the PC on due to various reasons, (partly down to the arse of a next door neighbour), I know how I tick, if I get annoyed at something that I haven't any control over it sits with me.. sometimes for days, you need to be fully self aware of what you're doing etc, of the task in hand, if the attention is elsewhere then you're doomed
I can completely relate to neighbour trouble. My council has built a layby ACROSS my drive. Understandably, that means my neighbours park there, blocking me in... confusion not caused by them but it's hard to be zen after the 100th time...
eh?, seriously?, couldn't you have objected?
Well, to be honest, it was there when we moved in. I didn't particularly notice it at the time. We routinely park over our own drive now, but it just makes you feel hemmed in.

I need to be more zen.
mcgoo

[/quote]

[/quote]

Head around yes. ...profitable not yet. :shock: 5 + years of trying too. Multiple software vendors & iterations. I love the challenge and the geek in me loves to code things that do stuff.I have learnt( in case of interest):
1. Even after days of profit when you think you have it, it is very likely that you haven't.Anything can turn.this speaks to starting each day afresh and adopting a middle road in terms of reactions as with manual trading
2. It is VERY easy to get caught up in chasing rabbits down long holes in order to make things work (be right vs make money) -even when the potential upside is not that great. Geeks might inherit the earth but they aint always gonna be making profit in this game,let me tell ya :)
3. If you're hoping you'll fluke it..it is highly likely that you won't...The strategy has to be targeting value and %'s ...all the time
4. Different software ,different machines, different network speeds..all add variance. It's a % game and it's general consistency you are after. You have to code fail-safes in ..always..and you have to understand the implications of every single line of logic that you code, thoroughly
5. Once you get reasonably competent at writing bots..you ..like manual traders..break bloody even for ages.It is amazing.There is danger here of getting bored and trying something more exciting and bam..there goes weeks of profit :shock: ..this is me :oops:
6.It is loads of fun as long as it is not costing too much
7.Identifying the right target market is huge. I have not managed that yet..

I have a tennis bot that is very low risk high reward.I am watching the strike rate to see how it goes over a month. My horse bot is an in play bot that I have been working on for 3 years and while it does ok, the %'s are not right yet. I recently coded that infamous ATM bot for fun to satisfy my need for a geeky challenge (refer point 5 above-still not overcome that) ..intriguing but very hard to profit from (automated)
Anyway, this wasn't meant to be as long a babble about bots as it has become-hijack thread and all that.
Back on point-20 odd years of martial arts under various masters has provided opportunity to experience Mushin ("no mind" referred to in Japan/Zen) -at least what I imagined that to feel like-once or twice. Things work and attackers fly off you without you knowing how you did it so easily.It feels to me like freedom of right expression with no expectation of outcome.I see lots of parallels with trading & in life.I continue to strive for that..with bots or otherwise. All the best mate.

PS: Putting on some good headphones and cranking a little AC/DC through them does wonders to get over a loss, I find :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
trader44

"The amounts are pathetic obviously, but this isn't my main business and I'm aware I'm still learning."
dont ever say those trades are pathetic, theres no one on here that would ever think that ,most people on here would say its great you have had a go and have made some profit. :D
brimson25

trader44 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:38 pm
"The amounts are pathetic obviously, but this isn't my main business and I'm aware I'm still learning."
dont ever say those trades are pathetic, theres no one on here that would ever think that ,most people on here would say its great you have had a go and have made some profit. :D
Cheers
spreadbetting

After a decent Friday and Saturday I'm back in the black and those losses a distant memory. The sooner you get back on board the sooner you'll forget about it and recover your loss if you can learn to blank it out. You said you were making £3/4 a day so it doesn't even take that long to get your money back doing what you do normally.

I know it gets churned out a lot but how you handle your losses really is the key to whether you'll make it as a profitable trader in the long run. Doesn't matter if it's a race , a day or a week, if you can't accept reds you'll really struggle to make it pay.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”