Get back on the horse?

The sport of kings.
Euler

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 am
Cheers. Do you really manage that - even if you had a good day yesterday, for example?
I'm currently on one of my best runs in years, but today I'll approach the markets as though I'm on zero for the week again.

In individual races, I may get more or less aggressive depending on how the market is unfolding. But on a daily basis, the clock resets each day.
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
I felt unwell, and agitated before I started. But I started anyway. I read the markets ok, but my timing and execution was off. And I panicked alot and closed when the markets went in my favour and let losses run. And I lost £16. That's massive for me, because I've been picking up £3 and £4 a day etc.
Have you thought about using a bot that limits your losses, using greenup conditions, cancelling in-play trades etc? Not the long term solution but it sometimes just takes someone else (ie a bot) to tap you on the shoulder and bring you back to your senses.

I think Dallas posted one that limits your losses but allows you to reenter the market for another bite at the cherry with a 2nd stop level. If not I've got one somewhere I can let you have.
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:19 pm
There's always going to be a new worst day ever when you're starting out,
Thanks, I'll look forward to that. ;)

I suppose it's not just when you're starting out but even for experienced traders if you're still got scaling up to do, but hopefully your best days keeps pace and in front of your worst days.
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:19 pm
There's always going to be a new worst day ever
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spreadbetting

I dropped a 4 figure sum earlier in the week on a race and I've been trading f/t for over 10 years. You're never immune from your own stupidity or mistakes :(
brimson25

Thanks for all your comments.

I've taken 2 steps to reset.

1. I'm not trading today.

2. I have completely re-arranged my study - moving the desk from one side of the room to another to enable me to face the door and the window. This might sound crackers, but both things had bothered me for years. I never felt comfortable with stuff behind me.

3. I've had problems over the years with temperament. Long periods of gaining competence, being in control and then BOOM and I'm screwed. (If I were a footballer, I like to think I'm a Faustina Asprilla; in reality, I'm Vinnie Jones).

I'll be back at it soon!
brimson25

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm
I dropped a 4 figure sum earlier in the week on a race and I've been trading f/t for over 10 years. You're never immune from your own stupidity or mistakes :(
Jesus. May I ask if you know why? Or was it just one of those things?
brimson25

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:33 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
I felt unwell, and agitated before I started. But I started anyway. I read the markets ok, but my timing and execution was off. And I panicked alot and closed when the markets went in my favour and let losses run. And I lost £16. That's massive for me, because I've been picking up £3 and £4 a day etc.
Have you thought about using a bot that limits your losses, using greenup conditions, cancelling in-play trades etc? Not the long term solution but it sometimes just takes someone else (ie a bot) to tap you on the shoulder and bring you back to your senses.

I think Dallas posted one that limits your losses but allows you to reenter the market for another bite at the cherry with a 2nd stop level. If not I've got one somewhere I can let you have.
Cheers. I'll search the forum for that.
brimson25

Korattt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 pm
sometimes I go a week without turning the PC on due to various reasons, (partly down to the arse of a next door neighbour), I know how I tick, if I get annoyed at something that I haven't any control over it sits with me.. sometimes for days, you need to be fully self aware of what you're doing etc, of the task in hand, if the attention is elsewhere then you're doomed
I can completely relate to neighbour trouble. My council has built a layby ACROSS my drive. Understandably, that means my neighbours park there, blocking me in... confusion not caused by them but it's hard to be zen after the 100th time...
brimson25

mcgoo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am
mushin ;)
I lost $25 last night on tennis..same..that is a very big loss for me...bots ran overnight...recovered $17...maybe I should just automate lol. Anyway, point being I try take each day/night/moment at a time. Check back over a month /week and see how you have gone. Obviously I can't give advice compared to the other gurus on here but I think: if you love it chin up mate.Grit! Good luck
I'm way up for the month, even the week. But I am uniquely gifted at seeing the worst in any situation.
brimson25

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm
mcgoo wrote:
mushin ;)
I lost $25 last night on tennis..same..that is a very big loss for me...bots ran overnight...recovered $17...maybe I should just automate lol. Anyway, point being I try take each day/night/moment at a time. Check back over a month /week and see how you have gone. Obviously I can't give advice compared to the other gurus on here but I think: if you love it chin up mate.Grit! Good luck
I'm way up for the month, even the week. But I am uniquely gifted at seeing the worst in any situation.
And I'm very envious over people who have there heads round bots!
Korattt

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Korattt wrote:
sometimes I go a week without turning the PC on due to various reasons, (partly down to the arse of a next door neighbour), I know how I tick, if I get annoyed at something that I haven't any control over it sits with me.. sometimes for days, you need to be fully self aware of what you're doing etc, of the task in hand, if the attention is elsewhere then you're doomed
I can completely relate to neighbour trouble. My council has built a layby ACROSS my drive. Understandably, that means my neighbours park there, blocking me in... confusion not caused by them but it's hard to be zen after the 100th time...
eh?, seriously?, couldn't you have objected?
Korattt

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm
mcgoo wrote:
mushin ;)
And I'm very envious over people who have there heads round bots!
me too, I'd pay good money, (seriously) to sit with a day with Dallas & get some off the ground
spreadbetting

brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm
Jesus. May I ask if you know why? Or was it just one of those things?
Just complacency really , didn't close a trade as I was busy with other things. Years ago it would have pissed me off for days but I'm a bit more zen nowadays and pretty much forgotten about it after a couple of races. The trick is not to let it get to you as stress will soon burn you out doing this day in day out. Trying to recover losses quicker than normal will just lead to chasing as that always costs you bigtime in the long run so you've no real option other than let it go especially if you're aware of why it occured.

You'll never be able to do everything pefectly so you need to accept your own failings and make sure your 'edge' is big enough to cover your cock-ups and also give you decent profits.
brimson25

Korattt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm
Korattt wrote:
eh?, seriously?, couldn't you have objected?
Well, to be honest, it was there when we moved in. I didn't particularly notice it at the time. We routinely park over our own drive now, but it just makes you feel hemmed in.

I need to be more zen.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”