Betfair Historic data download

The sport of kings.
123cp456

Hi All,

I am trying to download historic data using Betfair, the file is running in .tar format and i just cant find anything to open in with. Anybody got a steer on this please?
ShaunWhite

Try 7-zip which is free, or Winzip which isn't

If not just google ".tar decompressor"
123cp456

Ive tried this and i know its me being thick, but im not sure which file/folder i should be looking into and in what kind of format it should be in eg excel etc
northbound

If you downloaded data from https://historicdata.betfair.com, they can't easily be imported into Excel.

Betfair historical data is typically one .tar file.

When you extract it, it will look like one file per market, usually grouped into folders (for example one folder may contain all the market files for an Ascot meeting).

Each market file contains a number of lines.

Each line contains a JSON object. These objects don't contain a set number of "columns", but they contain info about a specific price/volume change. For one or more runners. Or perhaps a line can contain info about the market's suspension/unsuspension.

Basically, to do something with these files you need software development skills and also know in advance what do you want to extract. It's not as simple as opening these files into Excel.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”