Becoming a student of the market

The sport of kings.
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm
The price goes through 2.0 @ 3mins, Hcap - whats the probability it trades 1.91, before 2.1?

Peter could easily, answer that question, that would be like "starter" question on a pre-race exam :D
From which direction? What's the 2nd fav doing? How general or specific is your question?

By looking in the stats I'm sure he know your answer, anyone could. But is that knowlegde on instant recall? Is it the reason he does what he does, or is it part of a larger body of evidence that could easily outweigh it?

Only one person can answer those.
ShaunWhite

...scoring system.....exactly that!

That PW scoring system is like the Enigma machine, mine's like those punched card computers you used to make out of cereal boxes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm
By looking in the stats I'm sure he know your answer, anyone could. But is that knowlegde on instant recall? Is it the reason he does what he does, or is it part of a larger body of evidence that could easily outweigh it?

Only one person can answer those.
He might not know the probabilities on recall, but he'd know it's a +expectancy play, & roughly where the price should hit.

& this is why trading is complicated. The picture changes.

A trader could have probabilities on the fav breaking 2.0 (steam), & probabilities of the fav steaming/drifting if the 2nd does x. Statistics that were created independently, but in a single race both apply - & that's where the discretion comes into play. Suddenly in a scoring system a +3, just became a -5
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:01 pm
He might not know the probabilities on recall, but he'd know it's a +expectancy play, & roughly where the price should hit.
I'm going to lay that quantum of proof, it's definately on the drift!

I'm much happier with it now it's just a "+ve and roughly where" rather than a fact to within 2dp.
;)
stueytrader

In relation to the most recent posts, we could of course widen our definition of what we mean by psychology.

Of course, there are all of the more emotional, control and discipline elements (probably the most common use on here for the word).

But, there are also a vast range of other 'psychology' aspects in trading that are less clearly related to the above - for example confidence estimations, expertise and judgment, decision making. There are a range of issues of clear thinking essentially that move well beyond the simplistic definition of psychology being about going on tilt. There are also wider issues of your more general psychology - e.g. what kind of person are in you generally in life, confident/overconfident, cautious, anxious, happy, depressed, etc etc...and your life setting which will clearly relate once again to your psychology. In essence, we are presenting something of a straw man if it is simply about not going inplay etc.

Perhaps some of that was also what Peter meant in saying it was an edge?
spreadbetting

I'm not sure how your own psychology gives you an 'edge' over the market and helps determine where the market will move. Understanding the psychology of how others bet can be very helpful with market moves but not sure how my own is. There's no doubt that to exploit an 'edge' profitably you need to have a certain mindest/psychology but that pretty much breaks down to how people react faced with a red screen.

There are hundreds of things that give you an edge over others, a decent TV ,a quiet and comfy place to trade from , decent bank etc but they won't help predict where the market will move which is pretty much the only thing that'll make you money in the market. But we do seem to be just going round in circles about psychology so if 95% seem to think it's the number 1 we should just fill that slot and move to the others.

Top Ten Market Edges
1. Mindset/Pyschology (80%)
2. ?
Nero Tulip

I agree with this.

Psychology is not an edge, you cannot make money with just a good mentality. A picture of someone sat looking at the screens all day being really flipping mentally tough but doing nothing springs to mind :mrgreen: ...anyway - Psychology contains no instructions about the maths of value, price and risk/reward. Regardless of what your 'edge' is, it always reduces down to having risk/reward on your side and that requires a systematic / planned decision making process that could effectively run itself if the human mind didn't have to act to implement it.

The debate is therefore about whether you can (as a discretionary trader mostly) act and react on a plan consistently without being psychologically sound, and that I think is where this idea of it being incredibly important comes from, because nearly everyone that trades has found that it is hard to deal with a variety of biases and issues revolving around losses, wins and time.

Personally I see it as more of a downside protection thing, and also in good times, providing better consistency of returns (but only, if the aggregate of my actual actions results in the rewards paying more for the risk than they are costing at the time..).

One thing worth noting is, that you can have an edge, and you can be super talented technically and still lose money if you are weak psychologically, I've seen people like this go bust more than once, and it is unsettling and worrisome. Crucially though, You can still do ok as long as you do actually have an edge.

You can be really strong psychologically, but you will never make money without an edge.

I now hate myself for typing the word 'edge' so many times. Shoot me.

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:55 am
I'm not sure how your own psychology gives you an 'edge' over the market and helps determine where the market will move. Understanding the psychology of how others bet can be very helpful with market moves but not sure how my own is. There's no doubt that to exploit an 'edge' profitably you need to have a certain mindest/psychology but that pretty much breaks down to how people react faced with a red screen.

There are hundreds of things that give you an edge over others, a decent TV ,a quiet and comfy place to trade from , decent bank etc but they won't help predict where the market will move which is pretty much the only thing that'll make you money in the market. But we do seem to be just going round in circles about psychology so if 95% seem to think it's the number 1 we should just fill that slot and move to the others.

Top Ten Market Edges
1. Mindset/Pyschology (80%)
2. ?
northbound

Psychology = understanding that there will be wins and losses and your goal is to be ahead after a SERIES of trades (not after 5 trades or one day).

Edge = a higher probability of one thing happening over another, over a SERIES of trades. For example a strategy where you risk £10 to profit £10, which has a strike rate of 55 winning trades out of 100.

Without mastering psychology, you’ll struggle to find an edge, because you’ll always look in the wrong places, with an unsuitable pair of eyes.

Because you’ll be impatient and unable to stomach those 45 losing trades, especially when 4-5 in a row happen.
Nero Tulip

But but but... Baan Cerry says edges are ten-a-penny.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . I'm just joking Caan...but also, disagreeing.. and respectfully disagreeing slightly with northbound.

I don't think psychology is needed to find an edge, if you are good at maths / data science or you spot a structural weakness / platform inefficiency... you didn't even need to be mentally stable to do that. But you do need to be psychologically good to react to the feedback in the right way once you start exploiting it. 'Series' in your post relates to 'time' in my previous.

I do appreciate knowledge of psychology can lead you to look for places of collective psychological weakness in the market, situations where probabilistically there is a level of panic or something is oversold/bought consistently when 'x' happens.. in some ways, knowing yourself can mean, knowing others, and that can lead to an edge.. When I first began, most of my trading was based around these sorts of ideas, and I'm thankful it resulted in trading value.

On reflection, I think this might be what you meant when you said the below ? And my second paragraph now seems overly bothered with semantics...which makes me, pedantic.. :roll: :lol:
northbound wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm
Without mastering psychology, you’ll struggle to find an edge, because you’ll always look in the wrong places, with an unsuitable pair of eyes.

Because you’ll be impatient and unable to stomach those 45 losing trades, especially when 4-5 in a row happen.
northbound

Nero Tulip wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:42 pm
But but but... Baan Cerry says edges are ten-a-penny.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . I'm just joking Caan...but also, disagreeing.. and respectfully disagreeing slightly with northbound.
No probs Nero Tulip, I'm sure that different traders approach markets from different angles, so your opinion is as valid as mine.

I agree with you that also knowing the herd's psychology can lead to an edge itself, as over time you can learn to spot overreactions in certain situations.

Don't know whether Caan is correct with his ten-a-penny statement either. But now that I'm starting to discover edges and slowly showing consistent profits, I do agree with spreadbetting when he says that most people would be shocked at how simple some winning strategies can be.
spreadbetting

By definition you can't actually lose from an 'edge' over the market, but you can obviously lose if you veer off script and don't impliment it properly. The problem with 'edges' is that they're usually very small and people can't accept the small returns or have the patience to follow them to the letter and generally throw their winnings away elsewhere. I'd imagine the majority of the forum have some winning edges it's just that they either don't realise it or also have far too many losing strategies to see them clearly. I'd agree with northbound that people continually look in the wrong places for their edges and I just happen to put psychology as one of those places.

One of my dog bots has been playing overnight and so far won £37 from 55 markets starting around 2am , no pyschology needed, simple straightforward strategy. If I wasn't able to do it automated would I do it manually, I very much doubt it, the hours are bad, it's not scaleable, well below minimum wage and luckily I have more profitable strategies so it's not really needed. Would other people do it manually, I doubt they'd be many wanting to work those unsocial hours for a capped small return. Any that did would most likely start looking elsewhere to up the profit/excitement and most likely end up throwing any profit away.
spreadbetting

northbound wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Don't know whether Caan is correct with his ten-a-penny statement either. But now that I'm starting to discover edges and slowly showing consistent profits, I do agree with spreadbetting when he says that most people would be shocked at how simple some winning strategies can be.
I do think people love to overcomplicate trading , it's possible they go in with a set mindset thinking it's one of the hardest things to do and then try to prove it to themselves by taking everything to the nth degree. At the end of the day we only win money if we take value bets whether they're our opening/closing bets or ultimately both that's the key to winning gambling or trading. How much money you retain from your 'edges' is down to your mindset but value bets will get you into that position to have money to retain.
Derek27

Whatever happened to backing high and laying low?
northbound

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 pm
Whatever happened to backing high and laying low?
:D
stueytrader

I think it's important to say that I don't think anyone is claiming psychology would ever be the only edge in trading. Of course there are numerous other factors that can define, detect and implement your edge over the market for sure.

I think the point was that psychology forms a crucial aspect of a trader's weapons - as pointed out earlier, to give you the 'eyes' (and I'd add hands) to find and act on those other edges correctly.

Of course, without any other knowledge then mindset alone will never get you anywhere.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”