Can trading pay?

The sport of kings.
ronniejotten

Hello Everyone
I'm doing the trial of Bet Angel professional and i'm hoping to get some tips/advice/help from anyone who has been doing it for a while and making a steady income from it. I was doing matched betting and making a good regular wage from it. But i made the mistake of not believing people when they said bookies would restrict my accounts, ban me from offers and basically stop doing business with me. I found it hard to believe because my intention was to lose about 80% of my bets so i would win on the exchange and only win enough with the bookies to keep my accounts funded for more bets. A punter who wants to lose should be a bookies dream. But i started getting the dreaded sorry but we don't want you e-mails and within a year my matched betting career was over. Winner, Tommy French, Titan and Racebets banned me before i even placed a bet. So i started looking at trading videos and gave it a try. I can't seem to find a strategy that works long term. Lay the draw then back it when someone scores was doing well for me until i hit a run of 0-0 draws. As i'm sure you all know one bad result can wipe out the winnings from a weeks work. So after watching Caan Berry and Peter Webb and being more confused than i was before i decided to try Bet Angel. But i am finding it very hard to understand it. I have read a lot of posts on here but if anyone can give me a push in the right direction i would be very grateful. I am free from around 2pm every day so i have plenty of time to dedicate to learning.
Trader Pat

The Bet Angel youtube channel is the best free resource you'll find (and a lot more instructive than most paid resources) with lots of videos explaining many different aspects of trading. My one piece of advice to you would be not to waste your cash on any e-guides, books or video packs, in my experience they just state the obvious at best and at worse are just preying on people new to trading.

Also dont be afraid to get involved in the market as its the best way to learn when starting out. Start with a small bank of say £50 and keep stakes to 5's and 10's, if you cant make small profits with a £50 bank then you wont be able to do it with a bank of £500.

And something else to bear in mind which most people new to the game dont is dont expect to go from zero to profitable straight away, very few have managed to do that. Theres usually a period of losing money at the start which is whys its important to start with a small bank, thats usually followed by quite a lengthy period of break even which while frustrating is very important as its the period when you iron out the mistakes and stop doing the stupid things that lose you money. After that hopefully the profits will come but its best not to start this particular journey with high expectations.

Good luck 👍
ShaunWhite

ronniejotten wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm
As i'm sure you all know one bad result can wipe out the winnings from a weeks work.
Nope, that's really bad money management.

The biggest different between matched betting and trading is that you're going to have to get used to the idea of losing. In MB you were always a winner or you didn't play. Trading is about having more/bigger wins than loses, you simply can't be in a position to lose more than about 1% of your bank on any one trade.

Trading is basically speculating on odds movements. Unless you're going to do your homework, then simply backing/laying random teams and hoping they won't score in the next 5 minutes is just gambling.

You say "I can't seem to find a strategy that works long term". How long have you looked?

You shouldn't really hope to be making consistant profits in the first year....and stick to £2 stakes....this is going to be a pay-to-learn experience.
ShaunWhite

ronniejotten wrote:
But i am finding it very hard to understand it.
Anything in particular that you don't understand? Often one small piece of info unlocks the whole concept.

Trading is the same as matched betting.
Except that you place your bet and walk around the block to the same bookie again, knowing that the price will have moved your way rather than knowing it has somewhere else.
Dallas

ronniejotten wrote:

But i am finding it very hard to understand it.
If your totally new I'd suggest you try the Bet Angel academy, there are several FREE courses on getting the most out of the software and all its features as well as advice to get you off on the right foot trading wise
https://online.betangelacademy.com/

Then as others have already said if you have any questions just ask

Good luck
Korattt

welcome RJ,

Can trading pay?, absolutely,

Will you find it easy?, probably not,

However all the answers you need are both on here on the forum & on Eulers YT videos, how successful you want to be with trading depends how badly you want it.

How long will it take to get to a reasonable standard?, tough question, a year?, I doubt it, not going to beat about the bush but you may find it harder than you think, I’m just about into my 4th year now & it’s only been within the last year I’ve started to hit reasonable progress, some it takes even longer, here’s hoping you’re able pick things up quickly.

Hoping to see you regularly on here..

Keep it green 📗
wearthefoxhat

ronniejotten wrote:
Hello Everyone
I'm doing the trial of Bet Angel professional and i'm hoping to get some tips/advice/help from anyone who has been doing it for a while and making a steady income from it. I was doing matched betting and making a good regular wage from it. But i made the mistake of not believing people when they said bookies would restrict my accounts, ban me from offers and basically stop doing business with me. I found it hard to believe because my intention was to lose about 80% of my bets so i would win on the exchange and only win enough with the bookies to keep my accounts funded for more bets. A punter who wants to lose should be a bookies dream. But i started getting the dreaded sorry but we don't want you e-mails and within a year my matched betting career was over. Winner, Tommy French, Titan and Racebets banned me before i even placed a bet. So i started looking at trading videos and gave it a try. I can't seem to find a strategy that works long term. Lay the draw then back it when someone scores was doing well for me until i hit a run of 0-0 draws. As i'm sure you all know one bad result can wipe out the winnings from a weeks work. So after watching Caan Berry and Peter Webb and being more confused than i was before i decided to try Bet Angel. But i am finding it very hard to understand it. I have read a lot of posts on here but if anyone can give me a push in the right direction i would be very grateful. I am free from around 2pm every day so i have plenty of time to dedicate to learning.
No-one will give you their exact way of how they make money, although there are some that will share ideas for further discussion that can be tweaked to suit your own style. That way, you own the responsibility of your trades and not look to blame others or the software. :P

Once you get used to the software and have practised a few ideas, have a look at the automation area on the forum. If you have the aptitude (it takes a while to your head around), you may find a unique approach not discovered yet. :idea:
ronniejotten

Thanks Everyone
My two biggest problems are information overload and guessing which way the market will move. There are so many features on here i think it will take a long time to learn it all. I was hoping to pick one strategy and master it then use it to provide an income while i learn something else. The bookmaking feature is something that interests me but it is really only a form of gambling because it relies on lay offers being taken. I am having a practice on tennis as there are only two possible outcomes. The problem is i need 100% success rate as it operates at a very low profit margin. I have been doing some reverse dobbing but again one bad result wipes out a lot of wins. I have a lot of money tied up in world cup outright bets so my bank is only a few hundred pounds for now. But unless the Germans manage to lose to Korea i am guaranteed a profit.
Korattt

“There are so many features on here i think it will take a long time to learn it all.”

Take your time, get a notebook, a journal, scribble down what works for & why, refer back to it time & time again, I have & its invaluable to me

“was hoping to pick one strategy and master it then use it to provide an income while i learn something else.”

That’s the way to go without a doubt,

“I am having a practice on tennis as there are only two possible outcomes.”

There is, but the trick is when one of the two outcomes is most likely to occur & why..
ShaunWhite

ronniejotten wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 pm
The problem is i need 100% success rate as it operates at a very low profit margin. I have been doing some reverse dobbing but again one bad result wipes out a lot of wins.
Stop. At least until you've understood some of the basics.

I said it before but one bad result should never be a problem. You are looking for the following types of situations.

Where you make £1 70% of the time and lose £1 30% of the time.
Or, where you make £2 50% of the time and lose £1 50% of the time.

Reverse dobbing isn't a good place to start unless you know your horses inside out. How they run etc. It's not actually dobbing either if your liability exceeds double your potential gain. It's also not trading because you have no limit on your loss side, it's just a gamble. For it to be a trade you should have a stop loss in mind.

When you open a trade (back or lay) you must have a clear idea about your exit point, and that's especially important on the loss side of the equation.

All trading has two outcomes regardless of sport, profit or loss. Whether or not the underlying dog/team/horse wins is usually irrelevant. I trade horses only up until post time, I know nothing about horses. I couldn't care less what wins and very rarely even watch it. I've just learnt from watching 1000s of markets when I'm more likely to earn a few ticks than lose a few. My average profit is about the same as my average loss and I hope to be right slightly better than doing it blindfolded (ie 50/50). Slightly better than blindfold! That's a doable target but only if you control your losses to approx that of your gains.

You mention having money tied up in football. Are any at lower odds than you backed them? If so close your position, take the small profit while it's there. Any showing a loss? ..take the loss. Do that and you will be a trader. Allow the bets to run until the team loses or wins, and you're a gambler.

You must protect your bank. By all means use £200 stake if you have 500 but the maximum loss you should accept would be a fiver. The whole 200 must never be at risk.

It's all a massive subject, and because of that it can captivate you for years, but don't try and learn it all at once or you'll get nowhere.
ronniejotten

ShaunWhite
I did a few bookmaker offers on the world cup. I backed England for £25 @ 15 which can now be layed at 12. The offer is i get my money back as a free bet when we get knocked out. I also have Brazil at 5 and Germany at 6, both of them gave free bets for each win and although they have both drifted there is a good chance they will meet in the next round and the winners price will drop enough for me to make a small profit. As for the dobbing, i have been looking at short priced horses that are held up in races where most of the other runners like to lead.
ShaunWhite

ronniejotten wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:39 am
ShaunWhite
I did a few bookmaker offers on the world cup. I backed England for £25 @ 15 which can now be layed at 12. The offer is i get my money back as a free bet when we get knocked out. I also have Brazil at 5 and Germany at 6, both of them gave free bets for each win and although they have both drifted there is a good chance they will meet in the next round and the winners price will drop enough for me to make a small profit. As for the dobbing, i have been looking at short priced horses that are held up in races where most of the other runners like to lead.
Or all 3 will be out and you've done all that work for nothing? ok on free bet but normally a small loss is better than losing the lot.

Do you know your horses? If not then remember that a known hold-up horse might not drift very far. Not my thing though, form etc doesn't interest me so I don't get involved.
ronniejotten

I have made a profit on the world cup and i still have the possibility of more free bets for each Brazil win and any goals Neymar scores. My horse theory is people will back early leaders and that will push out the price of others, especially those who are at the back of the field. Another thing i look for is short priced horses that have stamina doubts or haven't run for a long time.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”