Inplay trading

The sport of kings.
Pavarotti

If I place a trade with a trailing stop loss and odds bounce significantly will I get traded out or will it just go straight through my trade without matching ?
FrogThimble

Either, in my relatively brief experience. I trade in-play and place my bets with an off-set but not with a stop-loss - I'd rather handle the exit manually if the trade goes against me.

I think using a pre-set stop-loss in-play is a bit like messing about on a trampoline that's got a big hole in it... you might stay lucky for quite a while but eventually you'll fall through it and get badly hurt.
iambic_pentameter

To echo what FrogThimble said, work on the basis that you will close your positions manually.

Also, don't overstake either - a full time IR trader told me his stake is usually around 2% of his total bank. His theory being that if he makes a mistake, it won't take long to recoup that loss.

Oh, and don't use At The Races on the TV - there is about a 3 week delay on the pictures.

Iambic
FrogThimble

The other thing that I would add is that in a very bouncy market, such as you are talking about, a pre-set stop-loss can also risk closing you out at a loss when the actual market conditions would deliver you a profit without the stop-loss. I don't usually try to close out for a loss if it's bouncing... I close out for a loss when the price is consistently moving away from me without bouncing.
Jukebox

A stop loss is never guarranteed whether in play or preplay - its always possible that the market moves fast enough to to leave your automatically placed stop bet dangling pitifully behind - but in the very fast IP market you have the added perils of several seconds delay imposed on bets (good luck trying to get a lay stop matched at 5, 12, 100 or even 500 when the jockey has been on the turf for several seconds) and low liquidity. You may also find that your stop is triggered more easilliy than you would like.
arbitrage16

If you feel the need for a stop loss when trading in-running then you aren't effectively managing your risk. You may be staking too large, or becoming involved in markets that your skills don't allow you to trade effectively.

Learn from the pros, none of whom would use a stop loss when trading IR.
Derek27

Stop losses are often triggered due to a weak market and lack of liquidity rather than the price actually going against you - I wouldn't dream of using them in-running.
Pavarotti

Cheers for the advice guys. I have loads to learn. Just trying to get my head around it all.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”