Relevance of the Overround

The sport of kings.
cookyweb

Hi all,

I understand the Overround after reading lots about it, and along with Cross matching I see how when the book is tight and one horse moves the others have to move to compensate.

My question is, how much attention do you pay to the Overround when trading Pre-race?

Its something I've never really focused on, infact I dont even really look at it other than glancing over but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for or what relevance it has, I've seen it say 100% on the back side and later 100% on the lay side, but cant really grasp if that should be assisting any decision making if that makes sense.

Is there any advice you could offer or a post you could direct me to? I've searched and been reading several posts but nothing that really helps my understand of it.

Thank you as always.

Cookyweb.
spreadbetting

Once markets are close to the off the overround pretty much takes care of itself so it's not going to give you loads of clues to impending moves. Comes in useful for botting at times but manually it's pretty much useless, I think there's a tendancy on the forum to overcomplicate things by thinking the person with the most info will win.

I'm sure people will tell you how useful it is but personally I take no notice of it manually unless the market is continually going overbroke/overround. That usually tells you x-matching has been switched off because some runner is playing up and likely to be withdrawn. In those situations you need to make sure you're not going to be at the wrong end of a rule 4 deduction
Derek27

When the overround is significantly closer to 100% on one side of the book compared to the other (sometimes it can briefly cross over 100%), that indicates that horses are being over backed or over laid and that something has to give, so it's always worth knowing when you open trades. I don't scrutinise it closely but I keep an eye on it.

If the overround goes several percent passed 100%, always check if there's a non-runner that hasn't been removed from the market, as this can result in bizarre overrounds.
cookyweb

Great advice as always on this Forum, thank you very much for that.
Korattt

cookyweb wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm
Great advice as always on this Forum, thank you very much for that.
I used to get hung up on looking out for the overround, but not so much now, for me the most important indicators are the charts

Return to “Trading Horse racing”