A bit of reassurance.... please

The sport of kings.
northbound

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:19 pm
I run a bot on the dogs that is averaging around 66p a race
SB, If you don't mind me asking: do your strategies always return a profit in every race, sometimes bigger sometimes lower? Or do you have winning and losing races?
spreadbetting

Can't remember the %'s offhand but probably around 65% strike rate win/lose, it was originally set up to churn money to generate commission for PC. My view with bots is that you need to take a value based approach rather than trying to green up every market.
northbound

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:34 pm
Can't remember the %'s offhand but probably around 65% strike rate win/lose, it was originally set up to churn money to generate commission for PC. My view with bots is that you need to take a value based approach rather than trying to green up every market.
Thanks and I do agree with the latter statement.

Gotta say that we turned this thread into something completely different to what the original poster intended. :D
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 pm
Let's say I was averaging +1tick a race over 10,000 races - even with massive scale, that's still a crumby p&l imo.
So then you find another one, and then another one. Scale works in all directions.
ShaunWhite

northbound wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:42 pm
Gotta say that we turned this thread into something completely different to what the original poster intended. :D
:)
I hope if nothing else that the diverse range of techniques mentioned will be reassurance that his cat skinning days are far from over, even if he's found that method 1 has been a bit gory.
ruthlessimon

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:19 pm
I'd have thought mentally that would be the whole point of running bots, so you can accept the small returns without feeling the need to up rates or stakes to unrealistic amounts.
Actually ye, money's money at the end of the day. That would be pretty dense to refuse to accept a bot like yours because it's not profitable enough ;)
spreadbetting

Even net losing bots can be worth running if they return a gross profit to PC payers. That bot was originally to churn so it's possible it's true value is maybe double. But there's usually a lot of hidden benefits from running any winning bot as they add confirmation you're on the right track and usually most bots are generated and refined from those initial ideas especially once you see they work in real life. That's why I always start with a set idea that I can refine and build upon rather than find some anomaly in some stats and then try to figure why it's occurring.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”