Racing UK to show a large amount of Irish racing online only?

The sport of kings.
Euler

There is no way HD will be faster than the current ATR offering.

Do you remember when you had the red button on ATR? Fastest feed in the west!
invisiblelayer

Remember Matt Williams of the Racing Post chasing answers and getting nothing as to why they stopped with the fast pics behind the red button. Was ages ago now but defiantly did some pieces in the Racing Post about inrunning shops, I'm sure he left not long after to join them
wearthefoxhat

Interesting that RUK may go through the online route. (instead of the TV channel?) If they go that way for all their racing content, I would subscribe in that form as long as the price was similar to the ATR player.

I currently subscribe to ATR through their online TV player. (£9.99 a month) (not sure if it will exist from the new year).

It all seems influx at the moment.
PDC

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 am
I currently subscribe to ATR through their online TV player. (£9.99 a month) (not sure if it will exist from the new year).

What's the picture delay on the online feed v the sky feed?

There isn't long to wait until we hear about the new plans, RUK tomorrow and ATR on Wednesday.
wearthefoxhat

PDC wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:42 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 am

What's the picture delay on the online feed v the sky feed?

There isn't long to wait until we hear about the new plans, RUK tomorrow and ATR on Wednesday.
Poor, no advantage there.

I use it more for informational purposes only and reviews.
PDC

Unfortunately it looks like on busy days some tracks, not just Irish, are only going to be shown via an online stream. I can't see this being in any way positive for markets on Betfair and will reduce trading opportunities:

https://www.racinguk.com/news/racing-uk ... ting-looms
PDC

A more in depth article is now on the racing post with some good and bad points. The good being that Friday night racing is going to be free to air for all for example but the main negative imo is the confirmation that not all racing is going to be covered on TV from 2019. I think that is a very bad move only showing some meetings online.

Article: https://www.racingpost.com/news/racing- ... age/355904

Not in the article but also of interest to people will be the following:

Q: How will Racing TV show all this racing on one channel?
A: We do not envisage any major problems. It is important to remember that ATR showed racing from 56 racecourses not too long ago and we will be broadcasting racing from 61 racecourses without having to commit to 12 minutes of advertising per hour. The new Irish content fits in well with the current Racing UK schedule and much work has been undertaken to ensure minimum congestion and clashes on race fixtures and times. Racing TV members can also benefit from a live dedicated racecourse feed from every Irish and British racecourse, including paddock, ‘going down’ and unsaddling pictures. This exclusive service will be broadcast via Racing TV Extra.

Q: What about when you have six meetings or more in a session?
A: For the really action-packed days, such as New Year's Day, we will look at employing a second gallery to provide a fully-produced dedicated second channel for Irish racing, available via Racing TV Extra.

Q: Which races, British or Irish, will take priority if there is a clash?
A: We will endeavour to show all races in their entirety on the linear channel. However, where there are unavoidable clashes, the finishes and/or recordings of the race (whole or in part, depending on time availability) will still be shown on the linear channel. If there are direct race-clashes, to a large extent, common sense will prevail as to which race is shown. All races in their entirety will be shown via Racing TV Extra.
PDC

I wasn't going to bother posting as people don't seem interested in the changes but thought I would just for reference for the future, the press release from ATR about their change's:

http://www.attheraces.com/news/2018/Dec ... -of-launch
spreadbetting

I think people are interested just they've nothing to add that's all, good to see it's simply replacing ATR, and will still be free, fingers crossed they make Mick Fitzgerald redundant :)
PDC

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:37 pm
I think people are interested just they've nothing to add that's all, good to see it's simply replacing ATR, and will still be free, fingers crossed they make Mick Fitzgerald redundant :)
Yes thinking about it you are probably correct that there is nothing more to add.

Unfortunately Mick Fitz is back.

All the existing presenters seem to be back as well but they have now been able to tick a few more quota boxes. The Q&A has more details to add to the first link I posted:

http://www.attheraces.com/article/586906
spreadbetting

At least we won't have to put up with him on the Irish racing now though :)

Have to wait to see how it all pans out I guess, I've always preferred RUK coverage and they seem to manage it better than ATR so the proff will be in the pudding. A lot will depend on how much of a build up RUK want to give to each race, RUK were always just happy to pile them in with as little effort as they could get away with.

Probably need to see the fixtures list to get a better idea as it's probably not going to be as bad as people predict and RUK had plenty of blank days that will now be filled with the Irish stuff. Someone out there has probably already compiled a RUK list of meetings, plus the UK always seem to be happy to wait for Irish races to finish whereas the Irish wait for no one.
PDC

Reading between the lines of the RacingTV/UK announcements it seems like quite a few of the meetings, particularly the irish ones on days with shorter gaps will be bounced to online only.

Also on days of the Cheltenham Festival I wouldn't be surprised to see the TV channel only show Cheltenham and all other meetings that week be online only.

We will get an idea of how it will play out quite quickly, what I am interested in is how Betfair handle the Live Video stream of the RTV tracks that are bumped to online only. At the moment BF show the RUK TV channel feed but that won't be possible for the bumped meetings.

Over all I see the changes having a negative impact on turnover, perhaps the ATR tracks may get a boost if the wider promotion of the channel attracts more people in but the RUK changes I feel will be net negative from a trading and horse racing fan viewpoint.
spreadbetting

Yep RUK do seem to provide a more comprehensive build up to their racing so can't imagine they'd want to turn their coverage into some kind of factory turnover.

I managed to cobble together the Irish and UK fixtures, as soon as I can find my spreadsheet that shows which meetings are on which channel I'll probably update the sheet to get a better idea of how many meetings they'll be looking at a day.
fixtures.xls
PDC

Racing TV is ahead of the BFLV for Tramore by the same amount RUK used to be for their tracks. So good to see we aren't getting delayed Irish pictures, but it does sound like they are bumping some of it off the channel today to online only once racing gets going so will be having to rely on the BFLV feed which for the Irish tracks at least seems not to be the RTV feed as has been the case for RUK.
Naffman

Thought Sky Sports Racing was meant to be HD?

Still looks terrible

Return to “Trading Horse racing”