2000 Guineas 2019

The sport of kings.
SeaHorseRacing

Halliday wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:20 pm
SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm
TEN SOVEREIGNS.

7/1 currently for 2000 Guineas. Think he’s special.

Not antipost fav... we’ll yet.
Not sure he will get the Guineas mile , even his trainer has his doubts ..

“He’s a very fast horse - a lot of speed,” said O’Brien. “He won’t get much further than a mile - if he gets a mile.”

Both him and Jash look more like sprinters and could see either of them winning the Commonwealth Cup at Ascot rather than the Guineas. Bookies seem to agree as he’s between 3/1 and 5/1 for that race next season

Time will tell but wouldn’t want to back either for the Guineas
O'Brien said: "Although we stated after his Middle Park win that Ten Sovereigns was probably finished for the season, he came out of the race very well and it's quite possible he will go to the Dewhurst. We're thinking about it, and a decision will be made probably on Wednesday."
Halliday

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm
Halliday wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:20 pm
SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm
TEN SOVEREIGNS.

7/1 currently for 2000 Guineas. Think he’s special.

Not antipost fav... we’ll yet.
Not sure he will get the Guineas mile , even his trainer has his doubts ..

“He’s a very fast horse - a lot of speed,” said O’Brien. “He won’t get much further than a mile - if he gets a mile.”

Both him and Jash look more like sprinters and could see either of them winning the Commonwealth Cup at Ascot rather than the Guineas. Bookies seem to agree as he’s between 3/1 and 5/1 for that race next season

Time will tell but wouldn’t want to back either for the Guineas
O'Brien said: "Although we stated after his Middle Park win that Ten Sovereigns was probably finished for the season, he came out of the race very well and it's quite possible he will go to the Dewhurst. We're thinking about it, and a decision will be made probably on Wednesday."

Could be a cracking race if the Non O’Brien trained runners stand their ground..he has eight of the twelve hirers declared !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Halliday

Incidentally full sister to Ten Sovereigns and full brother to Too Darn Hot up for sale at Tattersall’s later this week.

Lot 103
b f No Nay Never - Seeking Solace (Exceed And Excel)
Consigned by Camas Park Stud

No Nay Never's blistering start at stud, with 25 winners and five stakes scorers among his debut two-year-olds, has meant his second crop have been in huge demand already this sales season, with his yearlings fetching as much as €700,000.

And things could reach yet more dizzying heights when this filly takes her turn in the ring on Tuesday, as she is a sister to the sire's leading light, Ten Sovereigns.

Her older brother is simply listed as 'in training' in the catalogue, but has packed a huge amount in since the publication date, winning all three starts in the manner of a horse destined for greatness, including the Round Tower Stakes and the Group 1 Middle Park Stakes on his latest start.

Lot 325
b c Dubawi - Dar Re Mi (Singspiel)
Watership Down Stud

This colt brings huge star potential to the Tattersalls ring, as not only is he by one of the world's best stallions and out of a three-time Group 1-winning mare, his already deep page has been subject to some major recent enhancements.

He is a brother to Too Darn Hot, simply listed as 'in training' in the catalogue but now the winner of three races, including the Solario and Champagne Stakes. He produced deeply impressive performances in those heats and is a warm order for Saturday's Group 1 Dewhurst

Moreover, this colt is also a brother to Lah Ti Dar, who has added a ten-length romp in the Listed Galtres Stakes and a fine second in the St Leger to her race record since the catalogue's publication.

With Too Darn Hot favourite for next year's 2,000 Guineas and Derby, and Lah Ti Dar due to stay in training in 2018, there is no telling what this colt's pedigree could look like in 12 months' time.
elofan0

I think he raced Ten sovereigns too many times in a short time so maybe we will see a different horse in the guineas who knows ... one thing i would say is the Jockey had him switched off at a good crusing speed before letting him go in his last race where as the 2nd was being deployed a lot earlier ... they both drew away from their field but Ten sovereigns jockey did look like he was confident he was on the winner :)
SeaHorseRacing

I’m really sure Ten Sovereigns is Ballydoyles number 1 Guineas hope and I think him running on Saturday is the confirmation they want.
They want the proof he’s a Guineas horse before the end of the season and the fact he’s going run again at a Newmarket shows they want Guineas with him.

Plenty of G1s over 6/7f he could of run over in Ireland but they’ve now opted for two Newmarket group races.

Very interesting. Think donnacha will stay on and Ryan rides Van Dyk on Sat.
Halliday

elofan0 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am
I think he raced Ten sovereigns too many times in a short time so maybe we will see a different horse in the guineas who knows ... one thing i would say is the Jockey had him switched off at a good crusing speed before letting him go in his last race where as the 2nd was being deployed a lot earlier ... they both drew away from their field but Ten sovereigns jockey did look like he was confident he was on the winner :)
That’s the way Ballydoyle/ Coolmore race there horses, US Navy Flag was having his 10th race when he won the Dewhurst last year, having previously won the same two races as Ten Sovereigns ( Round Tower Stakes And Middle Park), and then went to the Breeders cup.

Saxon Warrior ran in the Irish Derby then seven days later ran in the Eclipse, Anthony Van Dyck ran thre times in a month.
Their fillies seem to run even more , Group winners Sizzling and Broadway have run 23 times this year between then.Music Box who won a Group three at Doncaster last backend was having her 16 th race of the season .

Most run of the mill handicappers dont run that many times in a year , let alone group class horses !!

It’s all about the breeding side of their operation, proving durability on the racecourse and adding value to colts and mares for stud. That’s why they have no issue with running their horses against each other even to the detriment of losing a horses unbeaten record . They have over 500 broodmares alone in Ireland , and breeding operations throughout the world .

How many times has the perceived number one O’Brien horse been beaten by a lesser fancied one ?
elofan0

True Halliday ive seen it time and time again when stables have the red hot fav they go in with a bigger priced one
I dont think we seen the best of Ten sovereigns yet ... the times one of the fastest that was run in that event and he was switched off entering the dip .. I do prefer a top jockey on a top horse :)
Halliday

elofan0 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm
True Halliday ive seen it time and time again when stables have the red hot fav they go in with a bigger priced one
I dont think we seen the best of Ten sovereigns yet ... the times one of the fastest that was run in that event and he was switched off entering the dip .. I do prefer a top jockey on a top horse :)
There are certain jockeys that excel at front running, at certain tracks etc , but nearly all the stats produced on Jockey performance v expectation etc show that there is very little between the top 100 jockeys .

Where it does make a big difference is when you have an apprentice claiming his allowance when clearly he doesn’t need it , James Bowen being the best recent example .

The knack is to know before everybody else does or the value is lost
bobs71

That’s the way Ballydoyle/ Coolmore race there horses,

How many times has the perceived number one O’Brien horse been beaten by a lesser fancied one ?
[/quote]

Regarding O'Brien's record with horses where he has multi-entries (2 or more runners in a race) the following shows his record since 2011 with all runners in such races and filtered by Favoritism status & also Market Rank (SP) - along with various Betfair market metrics -Non Favourites as a group win around 10% but of course varies with position in the market
AOB24.PNG

I would not specifically say that O'Brien campaigns his horses as you suggest , although does have higher race frequencies than say Gosden or Haggas
The following shows his average seasonal race frequency for 2yos and 3yos since 2011 - along with % figures of 5 runs and over for a 2yo and 6 runs and over for a 3yo
AOB25.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobs71

Seahorse - a few days ago i had "thought" i had sent you a large message on sectional / time data regarding Ten Sovereigns as requested - and now realise that i did not press send FFS :oops: - will get it to you later on pal. Very interesting horse.
Halliday

bobs71 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Regarding O'Brien's record with horses where he has multi-entries (2 or more runners in a race) the following shows his record since 2011 with all runners in such races and filtered by Favoritism status & also Market Rank (SP) - along with various Betfair market metrics -Non Favourites as a group win around 10% but of course varies with position in the market AOB24.PNG

I would not specifically say that O'Brien campaigns his horses as you suggest , although does have higher race frequencies than say Gosden or Haggas
The following shows his average seasonal race frequency for 2yos and 3yos since 2011 - along with % figures of 5 runs and over for a 2yo and 6 runs and over for a 3yo AOB25.PNG
[/quote]

Interesting stats .. One thing I would say is that they way certain types of horses are campaigned now is totally different from say 2011, and his use of racing aids has changed significantly as well . There was an interesting article ( among many ) by Kevin Blake re use of the tongue tie by O’ Brien
Between 2009 and 2013 he only used it once .. Yet between 2014 and 2016 he used it 82 times resulting in 14 winning when first used .

And Coolmore have stated that they campaign there horses more aggressively than previously as they don’t want “false “ horses going to stud .

And again if you compared this years stats with last year you would come up with significantly different results in many areas .. no of group wins , strike rate in UK etc ... due in part to periods when his horses just weren’t 100%

Like with all stats it’s how you interpret them and how deep you dig .
SeaHorseRacing

bobs71 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:50 pm
Seahorse - a few days ago i had "thought" i had sent you a large message on sectional / time data regarding Ten Sovereigns as requested - and now realise that i did not press send FFS :oops: - will get it to you later on pal. Very interesting horse.
No worries. I look forward to it.
bobs71

Halliday wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm
bobs71 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Regarding O'Brien's record with horses where he has multi-entries (2 or more runners in a race) the following shows his record since 2011 with all runners in such races and filtered by Favoritism status & also Market Rank (SP) - along with various Betfair market metrics -Non Favourites as a group win around 10% but of course varies with position in the market AOB24.PNG

The following shows his average seasonal race frequency for 2yos and 3yos since 2011 - along with % figures of 5 runs and over for a 2yo and 6 runs and over for a 3yo AOB25.PNG
Interesting stats .. One thing I would say is that they way certain types of horses are campaigned now is totally different from say 2011, and his use of racing aids has changed significantly as well . There was an interesting article ( among many ) by Kevin Blake re use of the tongue tie by O’ Brien
Between 2009 and 2013 he only used it once .. Yet between 2014 and 2016 he used it 82 times resulting in 14 winning when first used .

And Coolmore have stated that they campaign there horses more aggressively than previously as they don’t want “false “ horses going to stud .

And again if you compared this years stats with last year you would come up with significantly different results in many areas .. no of group wins , strike rate in UK etc ... due in part to periods when his horses just weren’t 100%

Like with all stats it’s how you interpret them and how deep you dig .
[/quote]

Certainly don't disagree with you mate regarding stats , although his average/ % of runners within the variables (seasonal runs) were pretty even when i checked year by year , with no noticeable spike - one area where there certainly is - is his total % of group/listed runners to total runners - 54% of all his runners this year have been in these contests , while it sat at 53% last year - increase last two years , which is probably due to volume and the ability range becoming tighter and tighter of the average runner due to better breeding practise - knock on effect of this is a bigger % of runners sent to contest in the UK and also the multi entry tactics per race increasing(have used 3+ runners per race) - Nearly 58% of all his runners this year in group/listed races have been in a race with at least another two stable runners.
AOB By Year - GroupListed.PNG
AOB2.PNG
bobs71

[/quote]

Interesting stuff regarding the TT - my data ties in with Blake's findings , although i also used O'Brien's NH Runners in said period (only a small sample of 66 runs)- Noticed he has a decent record with horses wearing the TT on the third run - W% ~30% , smallish roi to BFSP overall - and showed breakdown by year with this - also the pattern here , 2nd run better than 1st run , 3rd run better than 2nd , win% wise is similar to his record with maidens overall and generally repeats year after year up to the 3rd run
A O Brien TT.PNG
bobs71

Seahorse - Ten Sovs - now NR from the Dewhurst on Saturday

Return to “Trading Horse racing”