USA Racing?

The sport of kings.
ged1200

Anybody trade USA racing consistently? My (UK) body clock isn't great for GB racing as I tend to 'shut down' after lunch! I understand that trading isn't a good idea if you're not firing on all cylinders, so I'm looking for opportunities that suit my periods of maximum alertness eg 9.00am - 12.30pm and 5.00pm - 9.00pm.

I will (when I again take the plunge into another Bet Angel subscription) try to master automation. I have dabbled with it in the past - it looks to be a very steep a learning curve...
Dallas

The big problem with US racing is liquidity, they only attract a few thousand and mostly in the last few minutes, which isn't a problem if you're using small stakes
Also, ensure you have live pictures, unlike UK racing they tend to go off when they're ready even if that's a few minutes before the official off time and with no in-play betting on a lot of tracks if you get caught with an open position there's no way to trade out once there off

You might want to look at the UK dog markets, these run from around 10:30am-10pm and with races every few mins especially in the evening you wont get bored that for sure
ged1200

Thanks Dallas. I've never been happy with the dogs markets because of all the horror stories about their treatment and how they're disposed of when they can no longer race. Maybe I should do some investigating and try and find reliable information.

This hasn't been an issue for me with horse racing as horses are supposedly 'the best looked after animals in the world'. Their fatalities at the jumps though are appalling - and good reason for me not to trade those races.
MemphisFlash

Blimey, if your that concerned about Horses dying or dogs getting mistreated, maybe you should become a Vet instead of a trader. Horses can die on flat races as well you know.

Trading is not about feelings for horses, or dogs, or players that have career ending injuries. It's about a sequence of numbers on a ladder. If you can't overcome your feelings for horses over the jumps, or dogs because they get mistreated, then you are seriously limiting your potential as a trader. Horses die, people get injured, dog's get mistreated. That's Life.
chazmccheese

How about trading football ???? no mistreated animals there .......
you get overpaid diving actor - nancy boys instead

The only things mistreated are the fans who give their hard earned money each week to support their team. Then get subjected to utter rubbish on the pitch.

chaz
Jukebox

It might help to minimize the play acting on pitch if the players knew that green screens and a euthenasia kit was was on standby.
ged1200

Yeah, I guess human animals it is then.
BetScalper

Football players diving should equal a RED card. It's cheating, nothing else.

That would soon put an end to the Nancy boys falling over after being touched by a fly.

Poor Raheem Stirling would probably never play again.
MemphisFlash

madders.PNG

James Madisson knows all about diving and red cards after yesterdays game
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PDC

To get the thread back on track:
Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:22 pm
The big problem with US racing is liquidity, they only attract a few thousand and mostly in the last few minutes, which isn't a problem if you're using small stakes
It could be argued that that is one of its strengths as well. I like US markets for this very reason. I don't get 3 figure wins on individual markets but with the volume of races that are on you can still get very worthwhile results.
Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:22 pm
Also, ensure you have live pictures, unlike UK racing they tend to go off when they're ready even if that's a few minutes before the official off time and with no in-play betting on a lot of tracks if you get caught with an open position there's no way to trade out once there off
It is true they go off when they want, but most markets on Betfair now offer free live video, so no need to even self match a £2 stake. Also William Hill offer free pictures and ATR cover some Betfair markets. Unfortunately the coverage isn't what it used to be.

There is also inplay betting on most markets on Betfair now though liquidity is very weak but can be used if you are left with a bit of money to get rid off.

Tonight for example there are 37 races on, all of which go inplay and all offer free live video. Make £5 a race on average and that is £185.

I should add however, like all markets they are no free lunch. You have to develop your trading strategy to take advantage of the weakness in the market, so don't expect to turn up and start printing money, you have to learn to trade them just like any other market and so some people will succeed and most will not.
ged1200

Brilliant! Thanks PDC, that makes it look a bit more promising...
ShaunWhite

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 am

If you can't overcome your feelings for horses over the jumps, or dogs because they get mistreated, then you are seriously limiting your potential as a trader.
I think all professions require you to ask questions about your own morality. From dog racing, to a manufacturer choosing expensive British made parts vs cheap imports. It's always possible to balance how much cash you need vs how you feel about earning it. Not judging. That's life. But no doubt that the more money you have, the more choices you can afford.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”