Buffering in Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
oliver123

Guys, here's a question that has been bugging me for some time. Now I trade/bet in-play - always have - always will. Now here is my question. Firstly, I know about buffering and what it is. I watch all the races live either on RUK or ATR. Right, getting back to buffering. For instance, during the race, let's say a horse falls at the fence/hurdle. The commentator immediately comments as if there is no buffering; it's in real time. And sometimes, the prices immediately increase or drop depending on many factors.

Right, we are approaching the end of the race and the Betfair prices drop to zero, yet the race has still not finished - buffering. So, can someone explain this? The horse fails - commentary immediate; no buffering. But at the end of the race there is buffering. Or am I reading this all wrong?
Derek27

You're getting confused between buffering and the delay.

Buffering is caching a few seconds of audio and video in memory so that video and audio can continue if there's a slight break in transmission. The audio and video are cached together and should be synchronized.

The delay is caused by the time it takes for live pictures to be compressed and transmitted. When a horse falls the commentary is synchronized with the video but it will have happened about five seconds ago.
Last edited by Derek27 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MemphisFlash

No sporting event that is on TV is ever really live. Everything you see on TV happened a few seconds before.
ANGELS15

oliver123 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:31 pm
Guys, here's a question that has been bugging me for some time. Now I trade/bet in-play - always have - always will. Now here is my question. Firstly, I know about buffering and what it is. I watch all the races live either on RUK or ATR. Right, getting back to buffering. For instance, during the race, let's say a horse falls at the fence/hurdle. The commentator immediately comments as if there is no buffering; it's in real time. And sometimes, the prices immediately increase or drop depending on many factors.

Right, we are approaching the end of the race and the Betfair prices drop to zero, yet the race has still not finished - buffering. So, can someone explain this? The horse fails - commentary immediate; no buffering. But at the end of the race there is buffering. Or am I reading this all wrong?
Not really understanding the question, like yourself I mainly trade/bet in-play. On occasions one of my horses odds suddenly goes to 1000 even though it appears to be running ok in the pictures, then 10 seconds later it falls or is pulled up. Obviously down to the picture delay and I know where you're coming from where suddenly near the end of the race one horse is 1.01 and betting suspended and there still appears to be 5 horses in contention but again just due to the picture delay.
oliver123

Just another small detail. Pardon my ignorance but I presume BetAngel has no buffering - right. Okay, as I said, we have a horse; let's call it Hollie. Now it approaches, for instance, the 5th fence and falls - the commentary is immediate - no delay/buffering. At that same point in time, Hollie's price/back/lay odds move to zero on BetAngel. Can someone explain that then? Thanks!
MemphisFlash

again the race is live, bet angel is behind. Only when your actually at an event are you watching it live.
PeterLe

A couple of weeks ago I was at Lingfleld at a hospitality day in a box directly level with the finish line.
I had my programs running as normal on my VPS..

For one of the races, a Jockey took the party I was in down to the last fence from home (prob 100-200 yards from the line)
Although the intention of the jockey was to enable us to take a photo as the horses jumped the last, I had my VPS displayed as I wanted to see what the prices were doing. I held the phone up as though I was taking a photo, but I could see the phone screen and the fence in my view
I had a perfect view with a true live image.
As the horses jumped, the horse who was very slightly in the lead (maybe half a length if that) touched circa 1.15
Now, assuming that no-one had an advantage to beat the one second delay (and I wouldn't put my life savings on that!), then they must have placed the bets as the horses started to jump. is that value? not in my book (work the cross match price out on the second thats where my money would be)
We all know that the first to jump doesn't always win...so there's a strategy there if someone is interested! ;)
Regards
Peter
Derek27

oliver123 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 pm
Just another small detail. Pardon my ignorance but I presume BetAngel has no buffering - right. Okay, as I said, we have a horse; let's call it Hollie. Now it approaches, for instance, the 5th fence and falls - the commentary is immediate - no delay/buffering. At that same point in time, Hollie's price/back/lay odds move to zero on BetAngel. Can someone explain that then? Thanks!
The commentary is not immediate, it is delayed. The reason it appears to be immediate in relation to the video is that the video is also delayed to the same extent.

If a horse falls the price usually goes out to 1000 and it normally happens before video footage of the horses fall due to the delay. I understand the Betfair servers refresh every 250ms so any delay in receiving prices should be minimal compared to the video.
spreadbetting

If a pro like oliver gets confused what hope is there for the rest of us :(
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:41 pm
I forgot he was a pro. ;)
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:46 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:41 pm
I forgot he was a pro. ;)
I nearly made that comment last night. 9yrs inplay trading and he's not sussed this out? I thought he was just having a laugh.

And he might consider upgrading from ATR to carrier pigeon, it's quicker.

Back in 2013 he was talking about writing a book about BF on here because he knew all about it..... I wonder what happened to that?
megarain

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 pm
A couple of weeks ago I was at Lingfleld at a hospitality day in a box directly level with the finish line.
I had my programs running as normal on my VPS..

For one of the races, a Jockey took the party I was in down to the last fence from home (prob 100-200 yards from the line)
Although the intention of the jockey was to enable us to take a photo as the horses jumped the last, I had my VPS displayed as I wanted to see what the prices were doing. I held the phone up as though I was taking a photo, but I could see the phone screen and the fence in my view
I had a perfect view with a true live image.
As the horses jumped, the horse who was very slightly in the lead (maybe half a length if that) touched circa 1.15
Now, assuming that no-one had an advantage to beat the one second delay (and I wouldn't put my life savings on that!), then they must have placed the bets as the horses started to jump. is that value? not in my book (work the cross match price out on the second thats where my money would be)
We all know that the first to jump doesn't always win...so there's a strategy there if someone is interested! ;)
Regards
Peter
I havent been to Lingfield in a while, but, maybe 2-3 yrs ago, there were a number of options :

1. Rent a hospitality box, supplied with v fast internet lines, and trade. Cost 175 gbp per day. Normally 6-10 people to a box. Maybe 2 boxes.
You would still win decent sums, but, after all the travel, PC, wear and tear, u wonder whether its worth it.

2. Rent a Hilton hotel room .. facing the course .. the 3rd floor, east wing, is about 150 yrd from winning line. Trade from the balcony.
You would still win decent sums, but, after all the travel, PC, wear and tear, u wonder whether its worth it .. but, at least u had a place to sleep.

3.Get a bookies licence, and trade off the live video screen. This was the preferred route, but then they delayed the screens.

4.Intercept the video feed remotely. Probably illegal.

Just saying, theres many options, but, the majority have been mined to death. In-running liquidity, has just been killed off, .. due largely, to the above.
LinusP

The [200ms] delay / processing is no more as per streaming shows us.

Peter, what was your delay on getting the prices? :D I was at Fontwell on Boxing Day and I couldn’t even get the betfair app up let alone a VPS connection through 4G.
Bonnie

There's a thread on the Betfair racing forum saying that Betfair Live Video has got much faster in the past few days. Nobody seems to know how this has happened but BLV is ahead of RUK and nearly level with facetime pictures at certain tracks.
ShaunWhite

Bonnie wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:21 pm
There's a thread on the Betfair racing forum saying that Betfair Live Video has got much faster in the past few days. Nobody seems to know how this has happened but BLV is ahead of RUK and nearly level with facetime pictures at certain tracks.
I've always found it to be delayed about 1.5-2.0s. I haven't measured it lately, what delay are you getting?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”