Whats your best pre-race advice when looking at the market?

The sport of kings.
ruthlessimon

arbitrage16 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 am
I did precisely that and I know I would never have figured out in 5 years what they were able to tell me in an afternoon.
Where's that James O'Brien quote

"Trading is really confusing, it's really complicated. I've always liked overthinking things. I've always liked finding the little keys that unlock complicated ideas. They rarely exist, but the search for them is how you find the substitutes. How you find the succession of keys you need; to unlock a succession of locks. You think there's one, start with a simple premise; then you've written a whole book."

- p.s. he doesn't actually trade, I just swapped the word politics

He is a bit 'o a tosser though :D
ruthlessimon

This'll be a bit random if your not a cyclist; but it's the same premise.

Yes, you can be taught stuff (i.e. how to train, what metrics to track)

But you've still gotta hurt, to make those gains. & that pain, is part of the satisfaction (or maybe I'm just a masochist!)

https://youtu.be/KZOendlfxFA

I would attribute 5w/kg, to a 6fig+ trader
eightbo

ruthlessimon wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 pm
This'll be a bit random if your not a cyclist; but it's the same premise.

Yes, you can be taught stuff (i.e. how to train, what metrics to track)

But you've still gotta hurt, to make those gains. & that pain, is part of the satisfaction (or maybe I'm just a masochist!)

https://youtu.be/KZOendlfxFA

I would attribute 5w/kg, to a 6fig+ trader
Enjoyed that. Agree with setting that impossible goal and learning to love the process. Thanks for sharing.
SweetLyrics

Emmson wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 pm
I also found that contributor called ferru/iron/jeff and his inquisitive mind rather helpful. All the juiciest threads seemed to have him in them when he is drawing out responses from others.
Shame he got banned, though I think on one level he welcomed it. :lol:

I'm sure that he will appreciate your comment if he still visits the forum.
Dallas

SweetLyrics wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 pm
Emmson wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 pm
I also found that contributor called ferru/iron/jeff and his inquisitive mind rather helpful. All the juiciest threads seemed to have him in them when he is drawing out responses from others.
Shame he got banned, though I think on one level he welcomed it. :lol:

I'm sure that he will appreciate your comment if he still visits the forum.
He wasn't banned he asked to be removed from the forum along with his posts
SweetLyrics

We're into semantics here, but his ability to post was removed immediately following a follow-up post to a post that had been deleted by a moderator. His previous requests to have his account terminated had not been responded to.

I would therefore say he was banned, but hey, tomato, tomato. :) The main thing is that it was probably the right decision for all concerned.
Dallas wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:40 pm
He wasn't banned he asked to be removed from the forum along with his posts
spreadbetting

Jeff used to ask for his account to be deleted on a regular basis. If things weren't going his way the dummy would be out of the pram. I doubt management ever wanted to delete his account as he was a regular poster.
Derek27

His posts are still visible.

I actually miss Jeff ‒ had a lot of light-hearted arguments with him.
ShaunWhite

I wonder who SweetLyrics is with their 2 postings ;)
Could it be.....?
Atho55

Sweet Lyrics..... Could it be.....? Magic?

Not "the" Barry Manilow
arbitrage16

ruthlessimon wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 am
I did precisely that and I know I would never have figured out in 5 years what they were able to tell me in an afternoon.
Where's that James O'Brien quote

"Trading is really confusing, it's really complicated.
Yeah, no. This is precisely what I mean. Trading is not complicated, it is simple. It conforms to the adage 'simple but not easy' precisely because people insert themselves and their biases into the process and come out thinking it is a horrendously complicated problem, and thus the method employed to solve it must be similarly complex. With respect, that's bullshit.

All of the stats and data that I see being spouted on here, about how a horse previously traded and how many times a horse will trade below an XO in a particular situation are, pun intended, horse shit. It is the ability to understand market dynamics, with a clear concept of how the market works, that allows profit to be extracted. Everything else simply clouds the process.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:22 am
elecotop wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:53 pm
Back to something for the OP though.... Probably to look first for the ways you could lose money rather than make it. It's easy to get tunnel vision on opportunities without seeing pitfalls like lack of money changing hands or the clock being near zero.
Its about knowing when to get in, whether that is just last 15 seconds trade, when the market ripe to enter
just like there's times you should fold pocket aces pre-flop.
Though off-topic, and I agree with much of what you've written in this thread Shaun, there's NEVER a time to fold AA pre flop in 5 card Hold 'em. They are ALWAYS the best single hand at that point. :)

CS
brimson25

Crazyskier wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
elecotop wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Its about knowing when to get in, whether that is just last 15 seconds trade, when the market ripe to enter
Though off-topic, and I agree with much of what you've written in this thread Shaun, there's NEVER a time to fold AA pre flop in 5 card Hold 'em. They are ALWAYS the best single hand at that point. :)

CS
Unless someone who hasn't raised since 1947 suddenly 4 bets the next tightest player who last played a hand in 1960, who just 3 bet someone who open-raised a hand for the first time since 1979.

And maybe you're on the stone-cold bubble of the biggest tournament you've ever played and you need the money to get home ;)

So, yes, always a favourite, but very foldable in extremis.

Context is king
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
there's NEVER a time to fold AA pre flop in 5 card Hold 'em. They are ALWAYS the best single hand at that point. :)
And maybe you're on the stone-cold bubble of the biggest tournament you've ever played and you need the money to get home ;)

So, yes, always a favourite, but very foldable in extremis.

Context is king
I'd agree that folding Aces would be pretty crazy in a cash game; but I was thinking about a situation like, being on the bubble or level change in an MTT, you're mid stack, big agresive chip leader on your left, applying pressure to 2 players sat looking at 3 blinds each sat to the left of him. You know that whatever you do the big guy is going to push and the shorties will fold hoping that me and the big guy will go to a showdown. Holding Aces you're 80% fav against the big guy, but do I want to take an 80% chance after 3 days of grinding and a hotel room to pay for, or looking at a 10k golden ticket to the final for your $200 buy in. Probably not.

Doyle Brunson would say "you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em" These days it'll be a collage kid quoting ICM, and the discrepancy between chips risked and gained where they don’t have a 1:1 ratio like in a cash game. It's rare, but not that rare. Anyways none of this is my original thought, there's thousnads of pages written about folding Aces and without doubt, sometimes you should. The ICM says so.
ShaunWhite

Sorry OP about the drift to poker. Like all gambling, after 40yrs there's a lot of tales to tell about shoulda woulda coulda. And knowing how many people who trade have also played/play poker, I opened a bit of a Pandora's box. :D

Return to “Trading Horse racing”