French horse racing

The sport of kings.
BetScalper

Hi,

Does french horse racing have the same liquidity as UK racing ?

Thanks.
Derek27

It's almost non-existent, like some US tracks. But the group ones are worth a look.
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:34 pm
It's almost non-existent, like some US tracks. But the group ones are worth a look.
Thanks,
ANGELS15

BetScalper wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:13 pm
Hi,

Thanks.
With reference to the other answers the liquidity is indeed very poor, but there's another observation. I've tried to do a little occasional dobbing on French, US and South African racing. What I've noticed is that not only is there very little liquidity but there's virtually no interest in in-running trading on these races. Today I dobbed a horse in South Africa which I thought would shorten in running. Backed it at 30.0 and placed a lay bet at 15.0. The horse quickly built up a huge lead and turning into the straight was still over 20 lengths clear yet my lay bet was only taken in the last 2 furlongs when the horse still had a 10 length lead. It did get beat though.

What seems to happen is that what little in-running trading there is, is just in a few pounds at a time. In my example today my back bet was for £36 @ 30.0 and lay bet £72 @15.0. What tends to happen is that these tiny stakes traders see the £72 sitting there and trade in front of the odds of 15.0 regardless of how well the horse is actually doing. If it were a UK race the 15.0 would have been snapped up very quickly.

I agree that the French group races are worth looking at particulary if english horses are participating.
BetScalper

ANGELS15 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:51 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:13 pm
Hi,

Thanks.
With reference to the other answers the liquidity is indeed very poor, but there's another observation. I've tried to do a little occasional dobbing on French, US and South African racing. What I've noticed is that not only is there very little liquidity but there's virtually no interest in in-running trading on these races. Today I dobbed a horse in South Africa which I thought would shorten in running. Backed it at 30.0 and placed a lay bet at 15.0. The horse quickly built up a huge lead and turning into the straight was still over 20 lengths clear yet my lay bet was only taken in the last 2 furlongs when the horse still had a 10 length lead. It did get beat though.

What seems to happen is that what little in-running trading there is, is just in a few pounds at a time. In my example today my back bet was for £36 @ 30.0 and lay bet £72 @15.0. What tends to happen is that these tiny stakes traders see the £72 sitting there and trade in front of the odds of 15.0 regardless of how well the horse is actually doing. If it were a UK race the 15.0 would have been snapped up very quickly.

I agree that the French group races are worth looking at particulary if english horses are participating.
Interesting observations!!! :)
wearthefoxhat

Quite enjoy the french racing, more for spectating than trading.

I like to spot the ones that will end up running in the UK. P.Nicholls tends to "buy French" and looks to exploit a lenient handicap mark they tend to get when racing in the UK.

Eg: Aux Ptits Soins 11/March/2015 @ Cheltenham.

auxptitsoins.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wearthefoxhat

Here's one if ground is softer.

pic d'orhy.PNG
picprofile.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”