Cheltenham 2019

The sport of kings.
dragontrades

turned over 13x my bank on the last fav
Derek27

As a former punter and racing enthusiast, it's hard to drop the excitement and anticipation of the Cheltenham Festival, even though it's not so applicable to trading.
Dallas

Fitting end to the festival for me to get nice green on the fav 'Dallas Des Pictons'

Thought it been an interesting festival and quite an up and down one overall.

Markets have gone from some 'normal' ones to a few lifeless ones earlier in the week, then we had those few crazy ones yesterday and then rounded the day off with what I'd say where near perfect one's especially the Gold cup itself.

The only dampener was, of course, the unfortunate incident in today's opener
Derek27

"It’s not, therefore, unreasonable to stop racing at Cheltenham in order to save horses’ lives. If Santa Anita Racecourse can do this after a spate of deaths, then so can Cheltenham.

"The spotlight is now on the Racecourse and the British Horseracing Authority to act with immediate effect."
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure the BHA will carefully consider it. :lol:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ad-2643413
eightbo

A few slip ups from me over day 3/4 but lessons learned.
Humorous to realise it'll be a year before being able to put adjustments in place.
bennyboy351

eightbo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:45 pm
A few slip ups from me over day 3/4 but lessons learned.
Humorous to realise it'll be a year before being able to put adjustments in place.
Yes, but will those adjustments still be valid?

(If you start to become paranoid over what I've said, then my mind-games are working! - LOL)
Euler

Final turnover £93m vs £100m at post time.
Dallas

Thought it might be closer than that
Euler

Average money waiting to be matched at front three prices was 7.39 times 'normal' markets.
newcomer

Well, Heaven knows where i am! Although I've traded profitably, I've not too much to show for it and got a headache for my troubles. I'd decided to attempt to trade as against back or lay, so I'd got my BA subscription a couple of weeks ahead of the Festival and set about attempting to a) learn the methodology and b) retrain the brain, from picking winners to back, or false favourites to lose.

Using my own tried and trusted way of establishing an interpretation of true price, I've looked for selections that were overpriced in the last 10/15 minutes before the off, some of which - but not all - were allowed to go in-play. I settled mostly on manual back and looked to green up as things developed, when I used the offset option, I swappped around between 2 ticks, and either 10 or 15 % profit options.
So from a very modest bank of a couple of hundred, I've placed during the festival 41 trades, of which 35 ended positively, over the week created $73.61 profit at an average (profit) of 1.75 per trade. (Sorry, pound signs gone missing)

I dont really know how to interprate the figures as regards going forwards, I'm pretty certain that i would have backed to win Beware the Bear, Frodon and Sire du Berlais - all of whom did win, but probably Kilfilum Cross, Mosieur Lecoq, Lisnager Oscar, Clan des Obeaux, Whatswrongwithyou and Dallas des Pictons as well, none of which did win, but all of whom I traded, even if i did break the not in play ruling.

Most of the selections were towards the front of the market, but some like: Bristol de Mai (27 to 21), Definitey Red (85 to 75), Lake View Lad (32 to 16) were at longer odds.

It's a lot of fun, but God its hard work, not sure that i'll carry it on, although to modest stakes it arguably worked for me. I suppose the overriding question is could I have put some noughts on the figures and still got matched?

Any comments welcome
spreadbetting

newcomer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 am

I suppose the overriding question is could I have put some noughts on the figures and still got matched?

Any comments welcome
I doubt you'd have had much problem adding a few noughts on and getting matched but Cheltenham isn't a normal meeting, probably trading t least 5 times normal amounts. Even if you managed to get matched when you add a few noughts to your stake you'll behave differently even if the market doesn't, it's easy to let things run when there's only a tenner at risk you become a bit more cautious when there's a thousand if you aren't used to it.

I'd say completely ignore how Cheltenham went and get stuck into a normal bread and butter Saturday like today as that'll be much more representative of what yoou'll have to face day in/day out.
newcomer

cheers!, selectively increased staking led to a 20% increase in returns. I'll stick with it a bit

Return to “Trading Horse racing”