Past performance on chart

The sport of kings.
evertonian

How much emphasis do full time horse racing traders place on what has happened previously on the Betfair chart?

If a horse has been drifting previously, do you tend to follow this trend or wait for a reversal? Or are there too many variables to answer this, i.e depends on what other horses are doing etc?

From my experience, it is better / more profitable to join a trend whether its steaming or drifting rather than wait for a reversal? Do others agree/ disagree?
Dallas

I use the BF chart as a quick overview when I first arrive at a market, but once the real money comes tend to discount all activity prior to that.

I take most of my information from what I see on the ladder screens and use the charts as a confirmation.

Its always best to join a trend at the start but for that, you have to foresee it, but if its already in mid-flow when you spot it there's nothing wrong with joining it providing all the signs are pointing to it continuing.
If you can't see enough evidence of that then wait and try and catch a reversal
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:02 pm
If its already in mid-flow when you spot it...
Knowing it's 'mid-flow' is the tricky bit. As is knowing when it's starting, or ending.

As for the original question, the older the info the less relevant it is. The right hand edge of a chart is always more informative than the left hand edge. And as Dallas says, if you want to know what's happening now then the ladder has far more info than the right edge of any chart.
gareth75

Dallas wrote:
I use the BF chart as a quick overview when I first arrive at a market, but once the real money comes tend to discount all activity prior to that.

I take most of my information from what I see on the ladder screens and use the charts as a confirmation.

Its always best to join a trend at the start but for that, you have to foresee it, but if its already in mid-flow when you spot it there's nothing wrong with joining it providing all the signs are pointing to it continuing.
Can I just pick up on this post regarding the Market Overview chart from an experienced trader like yourself Dallas. I find the chart good but frustrating at times in regards of trying to suss out possible movers, mostly horses possibly shortening in price. This is the question, does the information ( same signals (IP & Volume %)on previous successful trades a bit further out in time) on the overview become less relevant in the final 2 minutes??? Compared to maybe 5 mins out or slightly longer? Reason being is I anticipate how I think a particular horse price movement will act in the 5 mins ish from off time & most times it does move the way I anticipate from what I see from market overview chart , but then there are some that go completely the other way although the signals are the same as a successful trade & normally these are the ones that tend to shoot straight the opposite way , this is normally compounded because the stubbornness & stupidity of thinking & hoping the trade will reverse back to minimise the loss but doesn’t really. Thanks
Dallas

gareth75 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 pm
Dallas wrote:

Can I just pick up on this post regarding the Market Overview chart from an experienced trader like yourself Dallas. I find the chart good but frustrating at times in regards of trying to suss out possible movers, mostly horses possibly shortening in price. This is the question, does the information ( same signals (IP & Volume %)on previous successful trades a bit further out in time) on the overview become less relevant in the final 2 minutes??? Compared to maybe 5 mins out or slightly longer? Reason being is I anticipate how I think a particular horse price movement will act in the 5 mins ish from off time & most times it does move the way I anticipate from what I see from market overview chart , but then there are some that go completely the other way although the signals are the same as a successful trade & normally these are the ones that tend to shoot straight the opposite way , this is normally compounded because the stubbornness & stupidity of thinking & hoping the trade will reverse back to minimise the loss but doesn’t really. Thanks
Yes, the closer to the off it gets the less relevant older chart information tells you

Also the 'real' money will arrive in volume once the previous race finishes, in an ideal world when races are 10mins apart and go off on time this means you get a nice 5 minute run up with the money steadily arriving and increasing as it nears the off, but often races go off late and begin clashing with the next so there might be only around a minute to the start when the previous one finishes so this will see a flurry of frantic activity in that last minute or two, so you need to bear that in mind before looking at older chart history.

If I do trade before the previous race ends I'll close my positions when I see it getting close to finishing, then reassess what happening once the real money is arriving, at this point I'm only using the overview chart to see which are moving in relation to the others
decomez6

Dallas wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:02 pm

If I do trade before the previous race ends I'll close my positions when I see it getting close to finishing, then reassess what happening once the real money is arriving, at this point I'm only using the overview chart to see which are moving in relation to the others
an update loading ......

the glorious new kids on the block , colour /value based stored values , makes overview chart look like Boris peppa pig delivery.
:)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”