Newbie question about Dutching and using the ladder

The sport of kings.
diablothe2nd

Hi folks. First post and only been using the BA trial for 3 days now. Forgive me if I've not used the search function properly.

If I were to dutch all but the last two horses, then manually go onto the ladder and bet a quid or two on the outsiders on any lay offers that are waaaay out there and already waiting on the ladder then just let them ride without closing, what would happen? Does this affect the dutch or is this a common way to cover outsiders?

Thanks
Derek27

Dutching every horse bar the last two and then backing them is the same as dutching the entire field - you've backed every horse in the race. If your aim is is to back the whole field at less than 100% you may as well dutch all runners.
diablothe2nd

The dutching tool seems to come into its own nearer the off, when the outlier odds have come in a bit. So I'm wondering if catching outlier bets early, then dutching later would work?
Derek27

It all depends on what odds you select. I used to make money laying the whole field and sometimes backing the whole field to payout a fixed amount, but just like trading, sometimes you get a green book and sometimes you have to back or lay a horse at a price you didn't want to and finish with a red book.
diablothe2nd

I see. Thanks for the help.

On another note I've been struggling a bit getting the ladder trading to click in my head. I think today I finally got it and am now chasing steamers in practice mode :)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”